Manual Shifter Upgrade

Chubbs

New shifter is in, and it is wonderful.

But, my favorite weighted shift knob can't be transferred, because the shift lever has female threads instead of a stud. It appears to be 20 threads per inch, but I couldn't get a diameter (1/2-20?).

Most shift knobs seem to be metric. Does anyone know a way to get an M12 stud to stick out of the shift handle?

Chubbs

I welded 2 short bolts together to make my adapter. It's not pretty but you never see it.

I think this may be the way.

I "think" it's 1/2-20 thread pitch into the shift handle (still haven't verified diameter, will try today). What I need is a double-ended stud with 1/2-20 on one side and M10x1.5 on the other (or a variety of other metric sizes). I've had no luck so far, even with mcmaster carr. There are plenty of adapters from standard to standard, and plenty from metric to metric. Even right hand to left hand threads. But I've not found a single one that goes from the standard to metric.

Despite my shift knob, this was a great upgrade though. The shifter is finally what I want it to be. It isn't as precises as a Miata, but that's probably just an F35 with 130k miles on it. Theres a little slop in the trans that the shifter can't fix. It at least feels like a "regular" car now, with a reverse lockout, and I can find all the gears easily.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Finally got around to installing the new shifter, felt great for 11 miles. I cant be the only one this has happened too.

20230710_064741.jpg

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Any thoughts on why it broke? I'm not familiar with this shifter yet but it should be arriving today though so is there anything I need to look out for?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
It looks like the shift cable broke, not the shifter in the photo. This was probably a flaw from manufacturing, since it occurred not too far into its use - or DC needs to cut back on the Wheaties for breakfast.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
M6 connecting rod broke coming out of the coupling nut that threads into the actual shift cable. I'm hoping it was a manufacturing defect. Then again I have hit a few PRs in the gym over the last few months. LOL.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
So far so good with the new connecting rod. In the install video it says the kit comes with a 70mm rod. The closest options on McMaster were a 50mm and 76mm so I bought both.

Installed the 50mm to bring the shift knob closer, especially in 1st,3rd,5th it was somewhat of a reach. The 50mm feels really good. Shift knob ends up a little further back much closer to the seats in 2nd, 4th and reverse, but it suits my prefered seating position better than the 70mm rod and even feels better than the billet shifter positioning, can't remember what the OEM shifter position was like.

Link to both if anyone is interested. They are also offered in 18-8 stainless.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8421N12/

https://www.mcmaster.com/8421N21/

Hats off to DF, this shifter feels incredible. Still not as good as a directly connected to a transmission good, but it's by far the best option for a cable driven manual transmission.

ATMironov

So far so good with the new connecting rod. In the install video it says the kit comes with a 70mm rod. The closest options on McMaster were a 50mm and 76mm so I bought both.

Installed the 50mm to bring the shift knob closer, especially in 1st,3rd,5th it was somewhat of a reach. The 50mm feels really good. Shift knob ends up a little further back much closer to the seats in 2nd, 4th and reverse, but it suits my prefered seating position better than the 70mm rod and even feels better than the billet shifter positioning, can't remember what the OEM shifter position was like.

Link to both if anyone is interested. They are also offered in 18-8 stainless.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8421N12/

https://www.mcmaster.com/8421N21/

Hats off to DF, this shifter feels incredible. Still not as good as a directly connected to a transmission good, but it's by far the best option for a cable driven manual transmission.
IIRC, If you move the ball to the upper hole, it shorts the throw of the shifter