Murcielago311's City/standard build - 06 SS/SC - Chassis #177 *REGISTERED*

Murcielago311

So my SC rattle, not coming from the SC. I replaced the snout coupler, and sadly, the old one had no slop in it. But at least swapping that out allowed me to seal up my snout that was weeping oil.

I got the idea to pull off my belt to rule out anything SC related and it's still rattling. i THINK it's probably my timing chain, but it had an updated tensioner and cloyes parts inside when I had everything apart so I rolled the dice. Does anyone have any experience with the timing rattle or any other ideas of what it could be? It's louder on a cold start and then rattles above like 1500 rpm. The only other thing I could think of would be a bent valve, but I don't know what that would sound like. No engine codes or misfires so far. Also not sure if it was present in donor car or not and I just didn't hear it from the cabin.

Youtube video of sound

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Are you sure the tensioner was released properly? I know I didn't get mine released the first time and I thought I had and then went back to double-check and sure enough it wasn't. The second time was the ticket.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
NCGoblin had a similar sound a while back that turned out to be a bad rod bearing.

Comparing his videos and yours I don't think it's the same issue, his ticking was at a lower rpm vs yours that makes me think it's valve train related.

Murcielago311

I hadn't changed anything timing related except the dorman guide bolt. The Cloyes set and updated tensioner was in the car when I bought it.

I did pull the tensioner out yesterday just to give it a once-over and it was released as far as I could tell. It was out about an inch/inch.5 from the bigger housing and I could push it back in and it sprung back out. I'm wondering if the new tensioners can fail?

I'll happily buy a timing kit and do the swap. Honestly hoping that's what it is and not something worse. Just looking for any kind of backup before I buy parts.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I’m assuming it didn’t make this noise before?

I would check what you did to the tensioner. Somethings gotta be off.

Murcielago311

I’m assuming it didn’t make this noise before?

I would check what you did to the tensioner. Somethings gotta be off.
I can't be for sure if it did or didn't. Not sure if I would hear it in the cabin of the cobalt.

I haven't done anything with the tensioner except, remove inspect replace. And that was after it was already clattering.

Murcielago311

valve train related.
I'm starting to lean that way too. Except it is a lot louder on cold start, which makes me thing timing chain again. Ugh, I don't know what to do.
Once I have insurance my plates are ready to be picked up. May just have to....ask a mechanic :eek:

Murcielago311

Supposed to meet a local guy tonight for a new Cloyes timing kit with water pump, lucky saving a bit of $ off retail there.

I'll try replacing just the tensioner first to see if that make a difference, if not I'll do the whole kit, if no difference after that I'll report it stolen and claim the insurance money, oh wait I can't get anyone to insure this thing.

Sorry, just got another denial. Not in a good car mood right now. That's a no from Progressive, American Modern, Hagerty, Foremost, etc. Holding out hope on @DCMoney 's State Farm guy to pull through when he's back from vacation Monday.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I would take off the valve cover, and run the engine. At low RPM, it shouldn't slop oil too far (at least on other engines that I have done this on).
You can see if the cam chain has excess lash, and you can use a screw driver on an ear to probe different areas to isolate the sound.

Murcielago311

Just tried the new tensioner. Same result.

Thanks Ross, I'll try that when I start tearing it down for the rest of the timing kit.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Sorry, just got another denial. Not in a good car mood right now. That's a no from Progressive, American Modern, Hagerty, Foremost, etc. Holding out hope on @DCMoney 's State Farm guy to pull through when he's back from vacation Monday.
That’s odd that hagerty will insure mine, but not yours. :mad: Although, I haven’t received the official paperwork yet. :rolleyes:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Just tried the new tensioner. Same result.

Thanks Ross, I'll try that when I start tearing it down for the rest of the timing kit.
ok. Walk away for a sec, breathe and let’s fix this. Like Ross said, pull the valve cover and see if you can see any chain marks and feel around in the chain to see how tight it is. Fire it up and see if you can see or hear anything.

If that don’t work........we will have to step back 10 yards and punt.

Murcielago311

Got really far in the setup and the rep said Hagerty wasn't going to insure any more of them because "they are not accepting the Goblins for their insurance policies. They have stated that it stems from the fact that its a self made kit and isn't professionally built. Also, the loss ratio on these vehicle types is high, so they have ceased new business policies on them currently."

She also recommended Grundy Worldwide, so I submitted everything to them online. I'll see what they say.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Got really far in the setup and the rep said Hagerty wasn't going to insure any more of them because "they are not accepting the Goblins for their insurance policies. They have stated that it stems from the fact that its a self made kit and isn't professionally built. Also, the loss ratio on these vehicle types is high, so they have ceased new business policies on them currently."

She also recommended Grundy Worldwide, so I submitted everything to them online. I'll see what they say.
The loss ratio on these vehicles is high?
Really? I wonder how many Goblins have been lost. 1 that I know of.
I wonder if "these vehicles" includes a bunch of other kits.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Glad they were able to insure you.

It took almost 2 months before I was able to get my plates. Can't believe how quick you got yours done!

Murcielago311

It took almost 2 months before I was able to get my plates. Can't believe how quick you got yours done!
Hwy patrol inspection was scheduled a month out. One week after the inspection I was able to take a day off to go to Jeff City for registration/VIN. Five days after that picking up personalized plates that are waiting at the DMV.

So about a month and a half. Could've shaved another week or so if I could have gone to Jeff City sooner and had insurance sooner.