New thicker windscreen

Nimrod26

The windscreen on the Goblin came as a 3/16” thick of polycarbonate which was to thin and the rearview mirror that I put on it wobbled and vibrated in the wind. I bought another piece of 1/2” polycarbonate to help solve the this problem.

I used the original 3/16” piece as a template and used two sided double stick tape to hold them together. I cut the new 1/2” piece 1/8” larger on the bandsaw and then used my router table with a solid carbide pattern cutting bit and ran the windscreen around the bit. Polycarbonate actually cuts better than some hardwoods as there is no grain to tear out.

I sanded the edges with 4 different grits which didn’t take much as the carbide spiral bit does a great job.

Got the windscreen mounted along with a rearview camera on the bottom and a regular mirror on top of the screen and now have very little wobbly and vibrations.

Attachments

Chris_WNC

Did you go with an abrasion resistant polycarb or do coating of some sort? My DF screen has gotten hazy and swirly after a couple of years. It's about time to replace it.

Nimrod26

Did you go with an abrasion resistant polycarb or do coating of some sort? My DF screen has gotten hazy and swirly after a couple of years. It's about time to replace it.
Actually I’m not sure if it abrasion resistant, but I guess I’ll find out. Either way, if it does become a problem I’ll just make another one as it was quick and easy to make.