No Kit Cars in Florida !!!

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Received this today ...... "

Kelly, Angela <[email protected]>
To:Capt. Frank
Thu, May 13 at 5:03 PM

I had to have someone else assist me with looking over the paperwork. Unfortunately, for this to be road-worthy and in the state of Florida, DF Kit Car would have to be registered with NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), and they are not. The department will be contacting them concerning this. The Kit Car will not be titled to drive on the road ways."

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Received this today ...... "

Kelly, Angela <[email protected]>
To:Capt. Frank
Thu, May 13 at 5:03 PM

I had to have someone else assist me with looking over the paperwork. Unfortunately, for this to be road-worthy and in the state of Florida, DF Kit Car would have to be registered with NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), and they are not. The department will be contacting them concerning this. The Kit Car will not be titled to drive on the road ways."
Did you happen to review the Florida Registration section in the forum? In looks as though others were able to get registered.
I think you got the person at the DMV that doesn't know the difference between their head and and hole in the ground.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Did you happen to review the Florida Registration section in the forum? In looks as though others were able to get registered.
I think you got the person at the DMV that doesn't know the difference between their head and and hole in the ground.
I followed the same procedures as the other people that have their cars registered in Florida. There is a rumor that they are going to rescind all the titles previously issued in Florida.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
What’s funny is that the picture for demonstration purposes on the form TL-41 is a lotus seven replica. All of the kit car manufacturers that make a replica (that I was able to find) are not registered with the NHTSA. Only Lotus Cars itself is registered and even then they don’t list the “Seven” as their car

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Florida form TL-41 refers you to form TL-48. That form says: The manufacturer of the replica vehicle must be registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Call the office back and tell them TL-41 specifically states to only reference TL-48 IF the vehicle is a complete replica and requires NO ASSEMBLY. Since this entire kit requires assembly, the NHTSA registration outlined in TL-48 is not applicable.

Sounds like the people who made this statement and denied your title application are Florida Natives who endured the Florida education system (I was born and raised in Florida so I know the education system sucks).
D4D3D0D0-9BAE-4AB9-8507-567C3F3E1598.jpeg

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
TL-41 says to reference TL-48 multiple times and every single time it specifies “turn-key” or “complete kit.” It even provides an example stating “the kit doesn’t include an engine or transmission and therefore is not a complete vehicle”
38ED7EEA-6080-4C97-B017-F2D89083F7CF.jpeg

CncMan333

Unfortunate to report, but I also ran into this at the Ocala and the Tampa office. I insisted that I get the reason for the rejection in writing and they gave me a photocopy of the FL statute concerning what defines an ROV (recreational off road vehicle) and they are saying that it is up to them as to what to classify each vehicle that they inspect. I am hoping that DF will be able sort things out and get what ever NFTSA blessing that the state wants so that in the future people will be able to get Florida titles. In the mean time I will have a Montana plate on my car. It is actually what the case manager at the DMV suggested to me, he said that an out of state tag is perfectly legal.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
they are saying that it is up to them as to what to classify each vehicle that they inspect.
Curious when they inspected it did it have FULL Body Panels and Fenders on it? I suspect it could make a difference? Without them it could look like a Sandrail?

CncMan333

Full body panels and hood. No fenders. but they said they also just denied a Exocet saying that it was a track only vehicle. Part of the ROV definition is "designed for off road use and using off road tires" I live in Florida, ever heard of sand? This thing won't go very far off road "designed" this low and using these tires.

159303370_5839148939444097_6560259944398929829_n.jpg

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I never even got to the inspection process. I was rejected based on the paperwork I submitted. MY paperwork was essentially a carbon copy of what other people in Florida have used before & that was previously approved.

Last edited:

CncMan333

I showed up with the car for inspection at Ocala and the form was already marked with "title as off road only" I told them no way and got on the phone with Tampa (which is technically my division, but I was allowed to go to Ocala since it was geographically closer to me" The guy in Tampa told me that if it was not on the Kit car list that it would be titled as an ASPT, so I said excellent and took my paperwork to Tampa. 2 weeks later I called them and I was told that it was flagged in Tallahassee as "do not title for street use" All the same reasons, which don't add up. But dang aren't they friendly at 49$ Montana LLC! :)