Odometer to Zero - Yay!

1966tbird

Nicely done @Yustas! I was going to buy a $100 programmer, but now you have me looking into cheaper ones.
Once I succeed, I will be willing to do it for others.
The rivets need to be drilled out of the BCM to get at the motherboard. Do you just glue the plastic halves back together after you finish? Those rivets are specialty riv nuts, so I am guessing you can't buy new ones.
Glad you all like it
@Ross ...The ride was a hoot and a bit of a shock.. I had convinced my self you were going to run a stop sign but oh no...you simply stopped and rolled to a stop. I don’t think the BC will move like that.
Dang...now I’m going to have to get Lonny to order more material for a new frame....

All supplies can be found at Mouser Electronics and eBay for the “Chip Clip” and reader.
Or just ask Goblin Central for a programming job!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Fix your Goblin mileage with no soldering!
I see they have made a better chip programmer that you can set to 5V rather than modding the old CH341A programming board.

I can find it on AliExpress for $12 and Ebay for $16, but it hasn't made it way to Amazon yet.
Search for: "Ch341A Programmer V1.7 1.8V Level Shift"
I can't find anyone selling the new board with the chip clip, so you will want to buy this too:
"Soic8 Sop8 Flash Chip IC Test Clips board Adapter Bios/24/25/93 Programmer"

Since I have already purchased the old CH341A, I'm going to try this modification to get it 5V.

Once you have a 5V CH341A programmer, and a chip clip, you can follow this video, but you don't have to unsolder the ST95080 chip from the BCM. The 5V should be enough power to program the chip on the BCM motherboard. If you have the old 3.3V programmer, you need to remove the chip from the BCM.

In DrShock's video, he used the AsProgrammer software and his car had 51,722 miles on it.
Once you run the AsProgrammer software, you need to find set the IC (Integrated Circuit) chip.
Go to IC/SPI/ST/M95080.

The BCM had the mileage stored at 3 addresses (0x000003BA, 03C2, and 03CA) with these values (49 B1 00 51) at each address.
The BCM is using Little-endian order, in which the "little end" (least significant 2 bytes in the sequence) is stored first, then the most significant 2 bytes. So the Little-endian data (49 B1 00 51) represents 00 51 49 B1 in hexadecimal.
hex 005149B1 = 5327281 in decimal. Here is a hex to dec tool.
The 5,327,281 number is an obfuscated odometer number, and multiplying that by .0097089 will give us the number on the dash.
5,327,281 * .0097089 = 51,722 miles.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Again, I guess I'm the odd duck, but I don't understand the worry about what the mileage shows. And I my Goblin was a close to new/zero miles as any when I first put it on the road (new engine, transmission and many more parts). But then again I don't understand wanting frame 500, a particular exhaust sound, whether the front tires stick out further than the rear, etc.

Markm

Again, I guess I'm the odd duck, but I don't understand the worry about what the mileage shows. And I my Goblin was a close to new/zero miles as any when I first put it on the road (new engine, transmission and many more parts). But then again I don't understand wanting frame 500, a particular exhaust sound, whether the front tires stick out further than the rear, etc.
I like the idea of setting the mileage to zero cause in essence it is a new car and I would like to know how many miles we actually have accumulated even though it is put together with a mixture of new and used parts.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
It's sort of like covering an engine exposed to air, but some people do it anyways *shurgs shoulders* To some, its something worth doing.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I like the idea of setting the mileage to zero cause in essence it is a new car and I would like to know how many miles we actually have accumulated even though it is put together with a mixture of new and used parts.
Write the mileage down and use math?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I am on my 4th BCM since my Goblin was licenced, each one gave my Goblin a new odometer reading. The BCM is designed to be in a dry car cabin, and driving or towing your goblin thru the rain at 70 mph without a footwell cover, seems to get my BCM wet. It would be nice to get a used BCM and set the mileage to be correct for the goblin.

Last edited:

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
I think it's just fascinating what a group of guys can hack if they put their mind to it. Congratulations!! My Goblin was set to 0 from the former owner, lucky me.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The formula to obfuscate the mileage appears to change. I'm not sure if it changed based upon the year of Cobalt, or if it changed it with an update to the BCM.
"The 5,327,281 number is an obfuscated odometer number, and multiplying that by .0097089 will give us the number on the dash."

It will take more hacking. David and I were comparing the numbers from the TachoSoft software and I can't get the TachoSoft numbers to jive with the video formula. Hopefully it is a simple linear formula, but it may take some trial and error to get the BCM number to where you want them.