Sneak Peek - Goblin V2

RickS

The difference may be only the transmission mount(s), the engine mount(s) will be the same. If you can't wait for the manual transmission option, fab up adapters/mounts and be the first kid on the block with the 3 pedal V2! :D
Still working on getting my ducks in a row financially, made a lot of poor financial choices in my teens and 20s. My timeline is wide open. Was more curious if it was even a future plan for DF to R&D or if I would have to fab it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If there is enough demand, Lonny will likely design in the manual transmission for the V2. He did the F40 transmission for the V1, but it is a rare and expensive (to some) option.

RickS

I have a LHU in my storage locker I had plans to send to ZZP to girdle and put forged internals, Stage 2 cams in a ported head, compound turbo, etc. with an F40. The plan was 700-800whp (Yes, I'm slightly insane). I may still build a V1, I'm not sure. The VW 2.0TSI is awfully tempting though, and I like the idea of more than one or two real sources for aftermarket support.

RickS

Will DFG be working on designing a front spoiler for the V2, or will we be purchasing/fabricating our own like on the V1?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You can ask but I'm certain the response for aerodynamic add-ons like a splitter are a no DF will not be producing them. There are already several discussion threads on the forum about splitters and a couple different design CAD files available. Search function will readily get you to them.

Triple6

I posted on the Facebook forums about the V2. Lots of guys would like to see a cheap more available option for motors like the Honda. The Hayabusa would be an amazing idea. All wheel drive subaru option would be a V3 I believe. With the way prices are today, people want affordable toys. Just a thought.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A Subaru engine is mounted in front of the transmission with a 'rear' output that that went to the rear differential in a stock Subaru. How is that 'rear' facing output getting to the front of a Goblin? Turn the engine and transmission around and make it a rear engine instead of a mid-engine? How do you get the gears to spin in the right rotation, since everything would now be backwards with 5 speeds in reverse? Or do you go with a VAG/Porsche transmission that came from an AWD platform that has a 'front' output facing the correct direction - forward?
Please expand upon your Subaru idea, the forum would be interested to hear your solution for an AWD Goblin.

Triple6

A Subaru engine is mounted in front of the transmission with a 'rear' output that that went to the rear differential in a stock Subaru. How is that 'rear' facing output getting to the front of a Goblin? Turn the engine and transmission around and make it a rear engine instead of a mid-engine? How do you get the gears to spin in the right rotation, since everything would now be backwards with 5 speeds in reverse? Or do you go with a VAG/Porsche transmission that came from an AWD platform that has a 'front' output facing the correct direction - forward?
Please expand upon your Subaru idea, the forum would be interested to hear your solution for an AWD Goblin.
It would have to be a redesign for V3. It would have to be a front mounted motor.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You'd be better off starting with a Exocet kit if planning a front engine platform. There is no place to put an engine in the front of a Goblin. It was designed from the start as a mid-engine platform and believe that is where Goblins, now and in the future, are headed. The front engine market share is pretty flooded with tube chassis platforms already. Maybe a Subaru mid-engine with 2WD transmission in place of the GM or VAG drivetrain?

Triple6

You'd be better off starting with a Exocet kit if planning a front engine platform. There is no place to put an engine in the front of a Goblin. It was designed from the start as a mid-engine platform and believe that is where Goblins, now and in the future, are headed. The front engine market share is pretty flooded with tube chassis platforms already. Maybe a Subaru mid-engine with 2WD transmission in place of the GM or VAG drivetrain?
Or perhaps a GM V8 with a audi or boxer transmission for 2wd continuous. Cheap, high horsepower, and widely available as a mid engine. I'm just spit balling ideas.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Or perhaps a GM V8 with a audi or boxer transmission for 2wd continuous. Cheap, high horsepower, and widely available as a mid engine. I'm just spit balling ideas.
A side winder LS 5.3. Or the 3800 S/C Buick motor with the Passat/Audi 2wd/Boxter trans and adaptor by Kennedy.

Triple6

Correct! Single turbo and a few mods and the engine can reach high horsepower for relatively cheap. Keeping the cost down and the production of sales up.

JitteryJoe

Very interested to see where the weight lands on this. IIRC the GTI is an iron block and the DSG is almost 100lbs more than 6 speed. It does hold power better though as the clutch on the manual can barely handle stock power.

Dale E

Hi everyone. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, nor stifle ideas and debate. But all this other drive train option talk seems to be better suited in the Other Build forum, than the V2 forum.

And, DFGoblin V1 was specific to Cobalt, as the V2 is specific to the VW platform. You all get to choose Chevy or VW. If you want other power train options, then you are in the category of buy a DFG chassis and modify, or build from scratch like the Locost Seven folks. Check out their forum for ideas if you go the scratch build route.

If a longitudinal engine and transaxle combo (Subaru, Audi, etc) then check out the older cars with those power trains for donors. Palatov V2, Velocity others, TR80??, others.

If transverse (this has been discussed in the other build forums), Most any power train platform you want is available -- but you are on your own in fabrication to fit.

Or, the category of other kits. (Hated to say that!!)

Motorcycle engine power trains are better suited for track than road use in a car.

What ever you want to do go do it, and good luck.

Please attempt to discuss in other build forum unless it is specifically related to the DFG V2 platform.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Hi everyone. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, nor stifle ideas and debate. But all this other drive train option talk seems to be better suited in the Other Build forum, than the V2 forum.
See post 77. Lonny asked for options on other drivetrains for v2. I think some of the options are not thought through, and they aren't really providing the info that Lonny requested. But he did ask for it other options.

Dale E

@Gtstorey, I agree some are not thought through.

Yes he did ask. I read that and I sent him a list (PM'd) of possible optional power trains, which would use the V2 chassis as built, but without the engine mounting points of the VW/Audi. I included the global availability of those power trains in the list and I think some other kit makers who utilize those.

This would allow folks wanting a V2 Goblin to order, but specify their choice of power train.
Lonny and team would have to build (at his extra research, expense, time, storage space, production of build manuals and videos) other multiple power train jigs and instruction to be able to give the customer what they want. This extra - modular jig option production - would get passed on to the buyer and make the V2 more expensive (possible).

If I were a niche car producer I would not do that. Lonny and team are the business folks and may see it as viable.

Many other kit producers do offer options, but if you want a Goblin then buy it. If after you buy the foundation you want to modify it, then you may do so but without the support of manuals, videos, and forum other builders.

Just my personal old age opinion. Repeat Goblin buyers wanting to upgrade and potential new Goblin owners, it is your journey, so do what you want. I'll read with interest your adventures.

Good-day!