Sneak Peek - Goblin V2

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Nice thought, but has already been done. Market niche is occupied.

TheAnesthetist

Dig the design and I'm sure you can finesse a lot of power out of a GTI motor, but the cost of the donor might be a limiting factor for me. Pretty much limited to salvage only. I like that the cobalt was a cheap donor.

Jason d

Will there be new vin numbers?
Will the new subframe work on V2?
What month will the new drop be announced?
How many motor options & will you say which?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Will all the similar components from the new donor be used, as V1?
Goblin V2 is not going to require quite as many parts from the donor as the original Goblin.

Below is our target but is subject to (will) change.

All basic Goblin V2 kits will be shipped completely assembled less donor and optional parts:

The turbo air-to-water charge air cooling system is installed.
The engine cooling system will be installed and ready to attach to your MK7 VW GTI engine.
The complete brake system will be installed, brakes bled, and ready to use.
The front and rear Lotus Elise-inspired suspension is installed, adjusted, and ready to attach customer-supplied wheels and tires and your donor's steering rack.
The steering shaft, the turn signal, and the steering wheel are installed and ready to connect to your donor's steering rack.
The fuel tank and filler neck are installed and ready to accept your donor's fuel pump.
The shifter linkage is installed and awaiting your DSG transmission shifter.
The fully welded frame with installed powder-coated sheet metal is ready for customer-supplied seats and seat belts.
Ships with exhaust system and mounts.

Optional equipment:

Fiberglass hood without extractor
Fiberglass hood with extractor kit
Brake proportioning valve kit (installed)
Steering wheel upgrade kit (installed)
LCD instrument cluster
Body wiring harness with fuse box
Fiberglass side panel kit
Fiberglass side pod kit
Fiberglass engine cover with molded cargo area.
Windshield kit
Windshield wiper kit
Side mirror kit
Center-mounted mirror kit
Front sway bar kit
Seat mounts
Corbeau seats
Seat belts
Rear wing mount kit
Tow bar kit
Headlight kit
Tail light kit

From the donor:

Complete engine and transmission system
Fuel pump with module
Partial wiring harness system and fuse box
Driver-side CV joint
Shifter and cable
Throttle pedal
Engine computer
Windshield wiper motor
Steering rack
Steering shaft U-joint section

All Goblin V2 platforms will be factory-assembled with standard powder coat colors (TBD).
or with the customer's color choice (additional handling cost)
or for those that would like to weld to or make custom changes to their kit, we will ship it fully assembled and bare. (remove powder coating cost)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Interesting choice. If I may ask, is the fully-assembled shipment intended to cut down on need to support builders?

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Don’t take this the wrong way. I love the fact that a V2 is coming. A huge portion of the enjoyment I got out of my goblin was building it myself. Will there be a possibility of saving the labor cost and shoot as a kit like the V1 for us to build? I would be slightly disappointed if all I had to do was bolt an engine in and put some tires on

GAB

Edit: “The shifter linkage is installed and awaiting your DSG transmission shifter”

Does this mean the V2 will be automatic?

Will the V2 support the manual transmission from the GTI or only the automatic variant?

Last edited:

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
If you need ideas for a V3, I was wondering how well the Dodge Pentastar V6/6 spd FWD auto transaxle would work. There are tons of them around in Journeys and Grand Caravans, among others, from around 2011 on up.

Chubbs

If you need ideas for a V3, I was wondering how well the Dodge Pentastar V6/6 spd FWD auto transaxle would work. There are tons of them around in Journeys and Grand Caravans, among others, from around 2011 on up.

I'll defend this, as ridiculous as it seems. As an owner of a pacifica minivan, that pentastar is a ripper. 285hp, and it all comes online at 4000rpm. It's not the motor I would have selected for a minivan. It really behaves more like a sportscar engine.

Transmission availability is a problem though. There are no transverse 6 speeds that i'm aware of. The only FWD option is the 9 speed ZF.

As for the goblin V2, I love the bodywork and idea of an updated suspension. But the donor, I don't quite get. Less available, more expensive, less aftermarket, less hp....what are the advantages?

Sebnuts

I'll defend this, as ridiculous as it seems. As an owner of a pacifica minivan, that pentastar is a ripper. 285hp, and it all comes online at 4000rpm. It's not the motor I would have selected for a minivan. It really behaves more like a sportscar engine.
I had to go to Detroit earlier this year for work. It was a last minute thing so I didn't make any reservations at the rent a car place. I think as a joke they thought it would be funny to put me in a 2023 Chrysler Pacifica. It shocked the hell out of me, way more pep than my 2019 V6 Colorado.