Steering column shaft too long

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The shaft is collapsable. And I can bet anything yours is stuck. Most are. Do NOT beat on it or force it!!! You will damage it. There are ways to get it to move.....

DCMoney beat me to the post I was going to reference.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the quick responses. No, I have taken apart the two pieces of the shaft and slide them back and forth about a hundred times. I even made this contraption to pull the two ends apart initially (after I used the crank for the hoses) since they were stuck like so many others. I also had to add some heat with a torch, thus the burn marks on the 2x6...
IMG_1032.JPG

Finally figured out the problem... inside, beyond where it had been stuck at for the last 11 years was rusted, not allowing the male part to go into the female part fully (keep mind out of gutter). After jamming it in about 40 more times, then using my contraption to pull it apart again and again, breaking down all the rust and contaminants, I was able to get it to collapse all the way. I'm repainting it now... I'll throw some anti-seize in it, mount it and finally finish video #17!!!