Steering shaft HHR vs. Cobalt

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I test fit my PS steering unit before painting the frame, but didn't catch this problem. Everything bolts in but the steering intermediate shaft is to long and the ujoints bind, so it won't turn. Plus, it looks really wonky. Yes, I'm told by Kenny that wonky is a word.

20200601_190133.jpg

20200601_190148.jpg

I bought a cobalt shaft, off eBay, and the splines and diameter on the steering gear/intermediate shaft are not the same as the HHR. I'm trying to figure out if the two cars have different splines or did I just get sent the wrong steering shaft.
20200606_083006.jpg

Does anyone have their intermediate shaft off and willing to count splines for me? I have 36.

Also in the interest of being thorough, my PS unit shafts are 9.75" and 6.125" long from the center bolt holes on the DF manufactured mounting "L" btacket.
20200606_082722.jpg

Also, when I install the lower end of the eBay cobalt shaft to the rack, it won't turn due to confiicts with the firewall.
20200606_082123.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Several posts have been made about the clearance of the universal joint and the fire wall. I also had to trim about 1/4" from 9:00 - 12:00. Your's looks like identical interference.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My Cobalt intermediate shaft has 36 splines on the upper U joint that goes to the steering wheel.
I had to remove firewall 9-12 o'clock area for the lower U joint.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Ross, thanks, but the one u need to know is the spline that connects the shaft with ujoints to the steering motor. There is no ujoints near the steering wheel. Did you eliminate your power steering unit?

I bought the one off ebay, 27, and just looked at 3 of them, 1 each from autpzone, O'Reilly, and Napa. All 27's. The HHR is a 36.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes the U joint beside the power steering motor is the one I counted 36 splines on. It is also near the steering wheel, when you compare it to the other U joint that is near the steering rack. The "cone killer" sticker is on my angle iron that I added, in order to keep the adjustable steering.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Is this correct?
20200606_164148.jpg

Where in the world do I get that intermediate shaft. Your donor was an 06 Ss/SC, right? I've held of those shsfts in my hand. They are all 27 spline.

Ross

Goblin Guru
They are hard to count. Used a marker this time, still count 36 splines on my 2006 SS SC.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I can't believe I did that. That's a wasted 3 hours for the custom built bracket to fit the hhr ps, plus $30 intermediate shaft that I can no longer return because we cut the boot off. At least it looks like the hhr intermediate shaft will work now.

Thanks for the help resolving the problem.