Sub Frame rust, I need your thoughts

Metal Mech

Hey guys. I got the front end off the car completely now and can see the extent of the rust. The rest of the frame back just looks to be surface rust from the bottom. Top can’t tell but looks like this thing mostly rusted on the front.
I believe I read that the radiator mounts are not used and an be removed.
I did take a flat head screw driver to the rust and was unable to poke any holes in the frame. Still I want peoples opinions if the subframe is still good or if I need to find a replacement.

Attachments

KingChuck24

I had the exact same issue as this. Yours does not look as bad as mine but I cannot say for certain if that is structurally sound and good enough to support the car. I would recommend looking on FB marketplace and seeing if anyone is parting out a cobalt near you. Someone was doing that near me and we got a new subframe for 100 dollars instead of paying 300-400 on eBay.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The metal mites have been chewing on that subframe for a while. Best bet is to get it out and sandblast it to see what you've got. Any pin holes and it should be replaced.

Tinkles

Wire wheel it and then use POR-15. Finding a prefect one in the northeast is going to be very difficult.

Metal Mech

The metal mites have been chewing on that subframe for a while. Best bet is to get it out and sandblast it to see what you've got. Any pin holes and it should be replaced.
I thought I read you still had your old one? Though it’s probably expensive to try and ship it here.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I've got a rust free one I'm not going to be using - has (speed) holes in it not from metal mites. ;) Not certain what it would cost to ship tho.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Being in Michigan, and being my former daily driver, my su frame looked similar. I found one one eBay for $100ish that was rust free. Look into that before you go super crazy.

Metal Mech

Being in Michigan, and being my former daily driver, my su frame looked similar. I found one one eBay for $100ish that was rust free. Look into that before you go super crazy.
Yeah I will look around. I’m also a bit worried if I pay someone to clean it up it may cost me a fortune. I’m guessing I could probably have at it with a wire brush in my angle grinder.

Metal Mech

Also another question. I believe I read that the radiation supports aren’t needed? I could just go ahead and cut those off yes?

gofast

Hey guys. I got the front end off the car completely now and can see the extent of the rust. The rest of the frame back just looks to be surface rust from the bottom. Top can’t tell but looks like this thing mostly rusted on the front.
I believe I read that the radiator mounts are not used and an be removed.
I did take a flat head screw driver to the rust and was unable to poke any holes in the frame. Still I want peoples opinions if the subframe is still good or if I need to find a replacement.
If you have an air compressor, buy a needle scaler. I prefer the pistol grip type. They work great on the type rust you have. After going over your subframe with the scaler, you'll have a pretty good idea its condition. The scaler will poke through any areas where the metal is thin.