Theft Deterrant

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Has anybody thought about how to secure while unattended? We have a lot of thefts around here and I was thinking about how easy it would be to get away with just a tow strap.

About the only thing I could think of would be a wheel lock and that could be a huge PITA.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Insure it for more than its worth and then you get to build another one. Lol

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I used to run a proximity sensor with a pager on my S2000. That pager notified me immediately when anyone was near my car, to include random birds or if it started raining, lol.

AleX1/9

I've been contemplating a GPS locating device. They're available for tracking service technicians, truckers etc. and can be installed in a hidden or camouflaged way so you can find it after it's been stolen. Preferably with its own battery backup (or use old cell phone with battery).

My security system currently includes a quick release steering wheel, a battery kill switch with removable key, a locking gas cap, and the factory Passive Anti-theft key. These things will deter the amateurs. If a pro wants to snag it, no amount of alarm system or wheel locks or guard dogs will stop them. That's where the GPS pays off. If it fails, insurance will soften the blow

SliderR1

definitely use a separate power source if you decide to go the tracker route.

I think someone was planning on stealing my wife's Tahoe last summer and got spooked and left. They had busted the right inner fender well plastic and had cut the ground wire (yeah, the big one!) to the battery. Took me a minute to figure out why the thing was dead... One of the local PD officers said there is a chop shop in the area that uses an unmarked rollback - takes cars right in broad daylight. Most people wouldn't even think twice seeing one get loaded like that...