What is everyone's average final cost to build?

Paperscale

I've had a real bad itch to build a car, specifically a kit car. My friend and I are working on building his Subaru race/street car, but it's a slow, expensive process. He's already $20k into it and the motor isn't even put together yet. I've followed the Goblin from pretty much the start, and now I'm more in a position to afford/ build a car. I was originally quite set on the Factory Five 818, since I know Subarus a lot better, and the idea of building a normal looking car seemed awesome. The problem is that they "say" you can build it for around $15-20k, but most people are coming up closer to $25-40k. The 818 also has a lot more fabrication and modifying of your own required, and I don't know if I'm anywhere near skilled enough to tackle that.

I used the budget estimator and choosing a SS/SC, extended, track frame it's coming up at about $14,900. I'm sure the price varies from that, but by how much? What did you guys pay for shipping/ frame coating? How much extra work/ modifying is needed, vs personal preference? I'd be going fairly stock, using as many parts as possible from a donor. Donors cars shouldn't be too hard to find since there's 2 coparts fairly close to me.

I'm also just curious how everyone decided that this was the car they wanted to build. I'm sure most of you looked at other possible kit cars/ projects as well before deciding on the Goblin. I'm getting more and more interested by this one since it seems like it could be a good bit cheaper, also that supercharger whine sounds awesome haha.

Thanks for any replies/ feedback!

jpr

I'm expecting to be no more than $10k into mine. I've been lucky/smart/stingy/patient in a few aspects, and I'm building a 2.2 automatic...

As far as how I picked the Goblin, it is really low on superfluous junk like bodywork, and it's cheap. I was comparing notes with an Exocet owner the other day and it really seems I got a higher quality product and paid about 30-40% less for the privilege.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I will have probably a little over $30k in mine. Don't let that number scare you. I have about $5k worth of custom work and aftermarket parts, and I paid about $3k more for my donor than I should have.

For an SC/TC build, I would say that $20-$25k is about average.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
And depends upon how many used parts get replaced (axle hub bearings, seals, etc.) and/or new parts being purchased (engine, transmission, etc.). The nice thing is you can make the car your own and go from basic (and still have a really nice and quick car) up to full custom everything.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I would guess if you only replaced what you absolutely had to. Used the donor seats and seat belts and had to add nothing for inspection and registering . You could do it for close to the number estimated in your original post. I am guessing that I will have right around $20k in mine. I went with a N/A donor because I could get one for next to nothing. I sold parts for more than I paid for the car. I can add a turbo or a sc after I am done for less than I would of spent on a donor. I have almost $300 in stainless bolts and nuts and misc. tabs and brackets that I used for personal preference.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Agreed with all of the others. I can vary wildly depending on the type of build and customization you do. Our first build was right around $20K but that included new wheels/tires, seats, powder coating everything, replacing many of the bolts ($200), custom wrap, headlights, all new driveline components, etc. I figured if I'm going to go through the work, I'm going to do everything as good as I can (and afford) the first time. We also overpaid dearly for the donor and that is included.

I have never built a different kit so I cannot compare the difficulty/experience, however, I can talk about our experience on this car. I was perfect for what I was looking for! I didn't want to try to figure out and design a custom frame only to find out later that is sucks, and this one is done for you already. I didn't want the headache of figuring out what engine/drivetrain, electronics, etc will work out well and not cause me a lot of grief. The smaller stuff is for you to figure out on your own if you want. There are many things that you can customize and make yourself if you want or if you don't. For example, we completely fabricated up our or own seats and mounts with sliders, but if that doesn't appeal to you, you can just order up the DF mounts and use the donor seats to keep cost and customization down.

It's an easy build and can be put together in no time at all. Again, this varies wildly depending on how picky you are and clean, painted parts of if just removing everything from the donor and putting it in this frame is okay with you. You will most likely find yourself wanting to clean and prep parts and upgrade along the way and that all will add to the time and money put towards the car. You will have to figure out what type you are.

I know much of the this is vague (typically me) and not really giving you hard facts and numbers. Those are hard to do, but I can give you a few specific numbers of options. The $15K is doable if you use all donor parts and sell a few donor items, keep cost down by not adding anything fancy.

Powder coating - $800-$1200
Shipping - $100 - We picked up the kit in Texas
Seats - $500-$1200
Wheels - $ 500-$1500
Tires - $700-$1200
Upgraded bolts - $200
Misc paint/tools - $200-$800
Wrap - $900-$1200 - We paid $200 for a custom wrap and wrapped it ourselves
Engine upgrades - $500-$1000 - new timing chain/gears/adjuster, pulley, spark plugs, gaskets, belts, fluids, pump, seals, etc.
Labor - free (at least that's what the books say)

Hope this helps.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I think one of the coolest aspects of this kit is the answer to the question. Unlike an 818 or a factory five cobra where the initial cost to get to the first drive is close to $20k, this one can be completed for half that, and upgraded over time. You can absolutely have a drivable vehicle for $12,000 and even that price is spread out by getting the three DF stages over time. I spent close to $5k on seats wheels, and wing, pretty unnecessary. Upgrading the engine was another $2500, which was also unnecessary. But that was spread over two years.

Gsd autos mn

4108BCF6-161C-41BD-8F4A-3F00C520AC6F.png

I just bought my kit with turbo options track and stage 3 kit, you'll spend around 15k with tax shipping is quoted separate.

additional powder coating 575.00, Fire walls, small parts, fuel cell.

You'll have the option to upgrade the stainless brake hoses $165, rear BC coils/mounts $698 naca ducts $225 button set $175, mirrors $75, lights $200,wing and brackets?, parking brakes $250, bumpers$200, hard mounts for front and back mounts SCTC$125

I'm pretty much right on budget after buying my own seats and brackets for 950.00 some new 17" rims for 575.00 and a cheap turbo donor for 1600.00.

Last edited:
Exocet: Looked too easy for me -> body replacement on a Miata
FFR 818: Now that they have a coupe version, I would consider it but the cost would definitely be higher than a Goblin, pushing it out of my budget
DF Goblin: Build videos (still waiting on the last ones! :D) Newly designed kit, good price, found a great donor

I'm ~12-13k into it so far. I plan to spend ~3k more for turbo + rods/pistons/standalone ecu.

deuc224

View attachment 7402
I just bought my kit with turbo options track and stage 3 kit, you'll spend around 15k with tax shipping is quoted separate.

additional powder coating 575.00, Fire walls, small parts, fuel cell.

You'll have the option to upgrade the stainless brake hoses $165, rear BC coils/mounts $698 naca ducts $225 button cluster $175, mirrors $75, lights $200,wing and brackets?, parking brakes $250, bumpers$200, hard mounts for front and back of SSTC$125

I'm pretty much right on budget after buying my own seats and brackets for 950.00 some new 17" rims for 575.00 and a cheap turbo donor for 1600.00.
What button clusters are you talking about? I was looking for something other than the gauges on the cobalt.

Gsd autos mn

What button clusters are you talking about? I was looking for something other than the gauges on the cobalt.
DF has a set for you they are $175.00
Wiring the buttons requires some specific transistors and I believe a seat plug. You can do your own if you want. The ones they make are extra options after purchase.

You still use the odometer cluster these are just the buttons and mounts im referring to.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Here is a picture of goonzsquad putting their's on. Obviously the one on the right is installed and the one with ACC and INFO on it goes on the left side of the instrument cluster.
button cluster.JPG

Paperscale

Thanks for all of the awesome replies! Are there any must-do changes to the builds as far as fixing donor parts or steps that are done better another way? Depending on the state of the donors engine I'd probably do some bare- minimum maintenance, but I don't plan on doing a full rebuild of it.

I've seen mention of a type of roof/covering for the track body car, buy I've never seen pictures of someone that's made one. It would be awesome if there was some kind of bikini top to put up so you don't have the full force of the sun on you at all times.

deuc224

I saw those and want those so bad. Im barely getting a donor so i can strip it then order the 1st and second stage. I saw that other gauge lcd panel that looks nice too, just costs about 1200 for it.

Gsd autos mn

You could make some leather t tops that button or strap on to the track frame a few people requested a bar for that reason. They wanted a hard or soft top. Check all the build logs there's quite a bit of good information scattered in the builds that already got covered. I looked for days most things I thought about were there.

Last edited:

Christopher Sanchez

I think it is fair to say that you can easily build this kit for under 20K. My build is right at this price range, I could have budgeted a lot better though. I bought a rebuilt turbo car for 2-3k to much but wanted a "low" mileage T/C with the limited slip and rpd screen plus Idid not attempt to sell donor parts to offset the cost. This is because I live in a rural area and it would be more hassle to sell things then they are worth in my opinion. I have saved some REAL money buying rims that were mounted but never driven and went with a tire size simply cause they were discounted greatly. This is what makes these kits great you spend your money where you want to.

Gsd autos mn

For me as often as I buy a part on ebay I try to sell one, I don't go shopping often but when I do its with a wheel barrle to my local salvage yards. I plan on getting back $500.00 on my donor and give away the shell. Money is going into the timing kit and motor.
20 auctions at 8.00 is still something and you can list them all to end same time. I sold the radio, seats, sub woofer, and exhaust so far.