Aftermarket Turbo

SinisterSF

I was looking at a ZZP turbo but since I've already started gathering parts to do a complete engine rebuild with truly built parts (rods, sleeves, pistons, cam, heads, etc.) I've decided to go with an aftermarket universal turbo. Not sure which one yet but I'm just curious since I ordered a standard kit vs. the SS kit is it likely that I'll run into and problems? The turbo I'm getting isn't car specific so I'm doing all my plumbing myself, I'll probably mount the intercooler behind the drivers head, or a small one in front of one of the tires and the intake on the other side, stuff to figure out once the engine in in the frame.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
SinisterSF said:
I'm just curious since I ordered a standard kit vs. the SS kit is it likely that I'll run into any problems?
The SS/TC kit price covers extras required to fit SS gear into the car including rear brakes (replaces SS front brakes), manual shifter hardware, turbo plumbing including water to air intercooler, SS fuel tank (fits SS pump) and a few other SS specific pieces. Since you are starting with a base car and you're using your own plumbing, you will only be missing out on the intercooler we supply in the SS/TC kit and the lines we supply to move the water from the intercooler to the heat exchanger at the front.

SinisterSF

I'm probably just gonna toss a cheap ebay turbo on it until it blows ski high. This is just a play thing anyways, nothing to lose.

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
I currently run a Borg Warner s256et in my Saturn ion redline. I run it on 29lbs and it puts down 541whp and 511wtq on a completely stock LSJ. The Borg Warner S series is the best suited for the lsj lnf le5 engines. S252et is perfect for 350whp to 450ish on e85. It spools up amazingly quick. The s256et is best at 400-550whp on e85. Of course you don't have to run e85 but you'd be foolish not too. It's basically free horsepower.

SinisterSF

I scrapped the 2.2 with aftermarket turbo plan and am going to LSJ motor. I'm looking for a 2008-2010 turbo SS that I'll probably just do a tune on and be happy with 300HP. That's more than enough to make the goblin scream!

rallyracer

I scrapped the 2.2 with aftermarket turbo plan and am going to LSJ motor. I'm looking for a 2008-2010 turbo SS that I'll probably just do a tune on and be happy with 300HP. That's more than enough to make the goblin scream!
Just for help in your search..

05-07 SS was LSJ (2.0 Supercharged)
08-10 SS was LNF (2.0 Turbo)

Justinreed7

The 08+ cobalts are LNF direct injection engines, they don't hold up as well as the Supercharged LSJ engines

SinisterSF

According to ZZP the turbo motors with direct injection are better than the predecessors. I talked to them on the phone last week about it.

kalishek

Wooley didn't take any close ups of engine WTF?? Reverse split cams??? And 650 hp on C16 at 32 psi???? <|8+

Justinreed7

According to ZZP the turbo motors with direct injection are better than the predecessors. I talked to them on the phone last week about it.
That's completely false. ZZP used the LSJ for their race engine in their old drag car. It made 898whp. Not to mention guys with LNFs that are building their engines are using the LSJ block and heads. The LSJ is just a stronger engine

Jungle Gym

Question, Justin... based on your experience with these engines, which would you pick if your goal for the Goblin was 325 HP with response being the priority over absolute HP?

rallyracer

Question, Justin... based on your experience with these engines, which would you pick if your goal for the Goblin was 325 HP with response being the priority over absolute HP?
If you want reliable power near that number, just get an LNF (2.0 turbo) and put on the GM Stage 1 kit.

That'll give you 280hp, 320tq.

From there, if you want a little more power you can work on some custom tuning, air and cooling mods.

Last edited:

Justinreed7

If you just want response, tvs1320 blower would be a good idea with cooling mods and a smaller pulley, but the turbo is more efficient in every way for the ecotecs. You can either go with a LNF and do a stage kit like they said or you can go with the LSJ and turbo swap it with a stock k04 turbo or a Borg Warner s252et turbo. Both reach full boost below 3500rpms so turbo lag shouldn't be a problem if you keep somewhat high revs. Only problem with the LNF is the carbon build up they get. Just make sure you keep the head clean from build up. Reliability won't be a problem for either engine under 400whp

SinisterSF

If you just want response, tvs1320 blower would be a good idea with cooling mods and a smaller pulley, but the turbo is more efficient in every way for the ecotecs. You can either go with a LNF and do a stage kit like they said or you can go with the LSJ and turbo swap it with a stock k04 turbo or a Borg Warner s252et turbo. Both reach full boost below 3500rpms so turbo lag shouldn't be a problem if you keep somewhat high revs. Only problem with the LNF is the carbon build up they get. Just make sure you keep the head clean from build up. Reliability won't be a problem for either engine under 400whp
Driver preference I guess. But once again I talked to ZZP yesterday, keep in mind I want a reliable 300hp that lasts and is cheap, they hands down recommend the LNF. With barely and mods you're getting 300 from a stock 2.0 turbo.

They did say that for big numbers and extreme mods the LSJ is better. But those extreme mods carry extreme price tags.

With the LNF I can run it for 100k miles until it croaks, then I can get a high performance crate motor from ZZP for $1900 and do it all over again.

2008-2010 Cobalt SS is what I'm after, but hey the more of you that pursue the supercharged cars over turbo, the cheaper I can score my model!