ASkiles' 918GBLN Street Build - 06 SS/SC

askiles

Goblin Guru
I had the same problem with mine. With the change to intake ,exhaust, and crankcase vent system the scaling of the air mas meter had to be changed (with HP Tuners software) it is at hit or miss adjustment. Currently on surges on cold start up for a very short time.

Brad
Good to know. Intense Racing did a custom tune for me, I was curious if this had anything to do with it. I shot them an email so we will see what they say.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I did speak to my tuner and he said that the placement of the MAF and structure/build/length of the intake can greatly affect the Ecotec's idle. He said he would have to mess with the figures to get it right. I am going to throw the stock Cobalt intake on there and see what happens. For all of you SC guys, what does your intake look like?

askiles

Goblin Guru
The updates are slower these days, but they are still coming!! Received he wheels and tires today, and live them. They fit great, and look amazing. Nothing like a nice brand new set of wheels and tires. American Racing, Torq Thrust, 16” x 7”, 205-45-16’s.

Attachments

askiles

Goblin Guru
UPDATE 6-20-19-

VIN assigned, titled, registered, and driving on the road...legally!! With the idle issue now under control, it is nice to be driving this thing and seeing how fun it really is. Little tweaks here and there. I have aligned it to what I believe is really close, but I will take it this week to get an actual alignment. I am going to have them do 1.5deg neg camber all around, and 1/8" toe in all around. Sound about right?? That's what I shot for while aligning it myself. I also have a guy going to wrap the hood and side panels for me this next week. I ended up choosing to go with a brushed gunmetal vinyl that looks (and feels) pretty awesome. I think it should look pretty awesome. Anyways!! Thanks again for all the help everyone on the board brings.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
UPDATE 6-20-19-

VIN assigned, titled, registered, and driving on the road...legally!! With the idle issue now under control, it is nice to be driving this thing and seeing how fun it really is. Little tweaks here and there. I have aligned it to what I believe is really close, but I will take it this week to get an actual alignment. I am going to have them do 1.5deg neg camber all around, and 1/8" toe in all around. Sound about right?? That's what I shot for while aligning it myself. I also have a guy going to wrap the hood and side panels for me this next week. I ended up choosing to go with a brushed gunmetal vinyl that looks (and feels) pretty awesome. I think it should look pretty awesome. Anyways!! Thanks again for all the help everyone on the board brings.
Andy, who are you getting to do the hood wrap? Someone in Tempe?

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Today I also fashioned a new air intake. Something a little different. Very easy to put together. I like it, and think it gets the filter in a much more open area than I had it. I may even make a shield and maybe a scoop for it off the side.
That by far is the best looking intake on a SS/SC I've seen done. I was planning on doing something similar and making a scoop too.

Off the shelf parts?

askiles

Goblin Guru
That by far is the best looking intake on a SS/SC I've seen done. I was planning on doing something similar and making a scoop too.

Off the shelf parts?
Thanks. Yep. Off the shelf pieces from Vibrant. I used the 45 elbow provided. Trimmed it slightly on one end. Then a 3” aluminum coupling. Followed by a 3” 90 elbow trimmed on both ends. MAF. Filter. I just had to buy the coupling and the 90.

Tony

Thanks. Yep. Off the shelf pieces from Vibrant. I used the 45 elbow provided. Trimmed it slightly on one end. Then a 3” aluminum coupling. Followed by a 3” 90 elbow trimmed on both ends. MAF. Filter. I just had to buy the coupling and the 90.
Should be fine as long as you stick with a fairly conservative tune, but MAF sensors usually prefer to have a bit of straight tube before/after to get an accurate reading. You may not notice a difference, but if you're going to try to push for more power, I might try to figure out a different setup. Looks good though, and awesome to have it on the road!

askiles

Goblin Guru
Should be fine as long as you stick with a fairly conservative tune, but MAF sensors usually prefer to have a bit of straight tube before/after to get an accurate reading. You may not notice a difference, but if you're going to try to push for more power, I might try to figure out a different setup. Looks good though, and awesome to have it on the road!
I'm not too worried about that. The stock intake has even more bends to it. My tuner said that with the IAC being controlled solely by the throttle blade on these cars, the short, straight run between the throttle blade and MAF may actually cause resonance back to the MAF, screwing with the readings. So we will see if this helps with a slightly smoother idle. Maybe, maybe not. I just like the positioning of the filter more.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
It is actually a guy in N Phoenix who wraps his own race cars. I will post pics when done.
Andy, send me a private message - if you want - to let me know what business this is. I will need to start looking myself and I have a friend at work who is looking to get his new Tesla wrapped. Thanks.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Andy, send me a private message - if you want - to let me know what business this is. I will need to start looking myself and I have a friend at work who is looking to get his new Tesla wrapped. Thanks.
It’s not a business, just an individual. I will ask if I can give out his contact info. Or maybe you wait until you see how it turns out...lol