California Trip, March-April 2017

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
We were invited out to an event at Thunderhill Raceway Park and to film a One Take with Matt from The Smoking Tire. Both of these are located in California so it meant it was time for a road trip.

I wanted to post updates during the trip but we were so busy that I couldn't make that happen. Instead, I'm going to do a recap here.

map.PNG

Our last road trip was to Tail of the Dragon. It was a shorter trip so we just flat towed Goblins behind Cobalts (link to TOTD trip thread). The California trip was mapped out to be double the distance so we wanted to use a trailer.

My dad, mom and I were going so we needed at least two Goblins. We decided to take the recently finished turbo car and P2. Our trailer, the one we rebuilt to deliver frames in January 2016 (link to delivery trip thread), is only 16 feet long so it wasn't even close to long enough for two cars. Instead, we borrowed a trailer from our office manager Jeff.

Jeff's trailer is 20 feet long, which is just a couple feet short of fitting two Goblins. However, we were able to build a structure at the front of the trailer to allow the first Goblin to park over the tongue.

trailer modification 1.jpg

The turbo car drove up and over the front rail of the trailer and nestled down onto the add-on structure.

trailer modification 2.jpg

The center line of P2's rear tires ended up being about a foot forward of the end of the trailer.

cars on trailer.jpg

Our tow vehicle was the 2011 GMC Acadia that we towed the frames with last year. Towing two cars seems like a lot but they only weigh 3,070 pounds together. We've towed single donor cars that weighed almost that much.

tow rig.jpg

We monitored coolant, oil and transmission fluid temps with an OBD2 reader. The Acadia had to work going up some of the mountains but it never got too hot. We averaged 12.5 miles per gallon over the entire trip and ended up putting right at 4,000 miles on it.

In my next post I'll cover the drive to San Rafael, which we split over two days.

PG5

Man that is quite the trek! I can't wait to see more pics and that One Take with Matt!

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
California Trip Day One

The first leg of the trip was from our shop in Red Oak, TX to an Airbnb in Williams, AZ (just west of Flagstaff).
1,021 miles. 16 hours.

The drive was pretty uneventful until the very end. We had been monitoring the weather forecast leading up to the trip and it had always looked clear but the closer we got to Williams, the more we realized it wasn't going to be clear. It started with an alarm on all of our phones alerting us that there were extreme winds (60mph gusts) and then a dust storm warning that included a message telling us to avoid travel.

In the distance we could see a lot of cloud cover.

clouds in arizona.jpg

As we got closer, it started to look even worse.

dark clouds arizona.jpg

It rained on us a little bit before we got to the house we were staying in. Once we got there, we covered the seats with bags just in case it rained again overnight.

California Trip Day Two

The second leg of the trip was from Williams, AZ to another Airbnb in San Rafael, CA (just north of San Francisco).
752 miles. 13.5 hours.

It didn't rain that night but we did get plenty of precipitation:

snow on cars.jpg

snow on P2.jpg

When planning the trip for the end of March and start of April, snow had never even crossed our minds. But when we woke up in Williams, it was in the twenties and the cars were covered in snow.

It snowed on us as we headed out but it eventually let up.

snow warp speed.jpg

The snow didn't end up being a big problem but the wet highway caused the cars to get covered in road grime. Once it dried up, we stopped at a self serve car wash and sprayed the cars clean.

We knew we were getting closer to California when we spotted these strange Tesla branded gas pumps.

tesla chargers.jpg

Immediately after that we drove through ridiculously dry southern California.

dry California.jpg

We eventually made it to the house in San Rafael. We were able to park in front of the house with the rig ready to roll out early the next morning.

RichN

I was thinking that is how mine will look like next fall before I put it away fro the winter.
Just one more drive to work; it's not supposed to snow tonight....

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Looks like a long trip! I hope you guys had fun!

Also hope that snow did not damage the tires. The R comps don't like freezing IIRC

Nuker-

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea when Farrah's video should post?
No idea. He had a pretty long backlog of videos to upload before we met him.

Also, I forgot about this California trip blog. I was waiting/hoping to get some video footage from the track day from some one that was there. In the flurry of activities that day, I never once attached a GoPro to our cars. Its amazing the things you can forget when you are surrounded by race cars.

I do have some photos though:

Here are our Goblins parked with the Aston Martin that belongs to the guy who put on (and invited us to) the event. I got to ride in it on the track and it was awesome. It is a race car straight from Aston (it was never given a VIN for the street and instead has a chassis identification number).

aston next to trailer.jpg

parked with the aston.jpg

We got to go out on the track a few times and it was a lot of fun. With this being our first day of a several day trip, we didn't go too crazy. The turbo car had to stay together for The Smoking Tire down in LA and without P2, I wouldn't have a ride to tour around San Francisco and LA.

The track was the west circuit of Thunderhill Raceway Park located north of Sacramento. The area received enough rain earlier in the year that the hills were bright green. We were told that in drier years, they were a less pleasant brown.

turbo car on track 3.JPG

turbo car on track 2.JPG

turbo car on track.JPG

TCR801

75k veiws in a day and a half... that was worth the drive to Cali. It doesn't seem like he beat on it too much, should have let Lonnie drive.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Well they had some company on their shoot!

...Maybe it was just because he drove the Goblin first, but seems to me Matt definitely preferred it.

DanPerryy

What I think about is all the work the Specter has to make the tooling to really produce cars. I know how many designs Lonny and Adam have made to get their car re-produce-able. I'm glad I got a Goblin! I too think that Matt preferred the Goblin.

Silverback

The video seemed to be a case of damning the Specter with faint praise. It's a reasonably nice one-off masquerading as a preproduction prototype. Matt didn't bring up cost and it's not on Specter's website.