CNCMan's City Ext 07 LS Manual

CncMan333

Active Member
#1
Off to a slow start. Got the donor last month and had to make some room for it. Stage 1 and 2 should be here within 2 weeks, so It's time to tear the donor up to make room for it. I will be posting pictures and updates along with questions as they pop up, but I think we have a pretty good idea of where we are going.
inshopl.jpg
 

ctuinstra

Well-Known Member
#4
The teardown is the fun part, then things slow down a bit during the wiring and clean/prep and then pick back up during the build.
 

CncMan333

Active Member
#7
Wow! I feel like we got a whole lot done today! We hit some road blocks but I think we will have the frame out before the kit arrives. One of the sub frame bolts was rusted solid so we were not able to drop the powertrain. We did pull a bunch of big parts and free a lot of the harness from the dash back. The interior is done except for the hard part (the dash). We have everything we need to finish it just need a day or two more and we will have the frame picked clean and ready to get out of our way.
 

Attachments

JeffsGoblin

Well-Known Member
#8
See my build thread about getting to a sub frame bolt / cage nut. I cut threw the floor board to get to the top side of the sub frame. Used a cheap angle grinder. 10 min of work, 40 minutes thinking about before hand.
 

ctuinstra

Well-Known Member
#9
What bolt are you struggling with? I had one on the front subframe to engine mount. I finally got it to break loose by over-powering the impact wrench only to find out it I was on a welded nut and should have remove the bolt on the other side. The bolt was much easier.
 

DanPerryy

Well-Known Member
#10
See my build thread about getting to a sub frame bolt / cage nut. I cut threw the floor board to get to the top side of the sub frame. Used a cheap angle grinder. 10 min of work, 40 minutes thinking about before hand.
I don't remember any bolt that was difficult to remove. Could you post a picture?
 

DanPerryy

Well-Known Member
#14
Mine just came out the bottom. I don't think we re-use these bolts as I recall so a 24" breaker bar and a 5' pipe should break the bolt loose
 

CncMan333

Active Member
#15
Popped a hole in floor to get at the cage nut, but the bolt is rusted solid, so I am grinding off the head. Hopefully I can do it without scaring up the subframe too much.
 

CncMan333

Active Member
#16
Donor chassis is stripped and ready to be moved out. We dropped the power train and the subframe as a unit rather than the way the video shows so that we can get the chassis cleared out sooner and have better access to the motor and front suspension to strip it. All total I would say we are about 20 man hours into the job. Some of could have gone quicker, but we were in no hurry and wanted to be a good project. Once the chassis is picked up we will have space for the kit which should be here next week.

IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0271.JPG
 

CncMan333

Active Member
#18
It took about 2 hours to get the main harness clipped and de-taped. 10 years of the Florida sun makes the electrical tape into some substance similar to melted gummy bears.
 

Attachments

ctuinstra

Well-Known Member
#19
I soaked my harness in paint thinner and then rinsed in water and then soaked in alcohol to dry the water. Don't leave it too long in the paint thinner (many minutes). When done, the harness was squeaky clean and much nicer to work with.
 

DanPerryy

Well-Known Member
#20
Good work. One advantage of going through the harness build (rather than having someone else do it) as once done you will never need to worry about knowing about every wire. You will have a carnal knowledge of the electrical system.