Corey's track Goblin #261 LSJ-T swapped 06 Donor G85, Cont.........

Corey

Install valve cover and new turbo plumbing today. Missing a couple T Bolt clamps and 1" heater hose to finish it off. Hood paint is scheduled for Aug 7th!
20230724_182044.jpg
Screenshot_20230724_160822_Messages.jpg
20230724_160723.jpg

Corey

Got the new turbo silicones installed and she starts/idles like a champ. Went to end of the block and back, and struggled to get back to the garage.
P-Codes 2101, 0017 and 0300 seem to have cleared up. Probably after finding/replacing the bad camshaft sprocket.

New codes are p0113 Air Intake temp is high and P0036 Heater Oxygen Sensor Control.

My engine coolant ran low since I had replaced the head gasket and drained the coolant off. I topped the overflow tank off and the coolant temp at the dash is showing/staying at 172 degrees. The in/out radiator hoses as well as the coolant tank all feel approx same temp to touch, Hot but not burning my hand.

The overflow tank as well as the coolant hoses in/out of the A2W are warm at best but nothing more.

Oil level is good.

Turbo appears to have excessive heat radiating from the exhaust side. I know the turbos get hot but I felt this was over the top? Pointed shop fan at turbo and exhaust to pull off some heat. I did notice I dropped some sweat on the muffler when bent over looking things over and the sweat sizzled away,,,Seems hotter than it should be??

Guys am I wrong the the amount of heat coming off the turbo or is there something I need to look into????
What are your thoughts on the new codes? These were not showing on the last code reading I published on the forum.

Gonna look to verify engine oil is circulating thru turbo also.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
My first guess is that you have loose connections that caused the codes. I don't have the service manual in front of me, but internet says that P0113 is the voltage is to high from the Air Intake Temp sensor, not that the temperature itself is to high. This could be a short to voltage, or on some sensor circuits it could be open circuit that causes it. The P0036 is heater is too slow which could also be wiring.

Corey

My first guess is that you have loose connections that caused the codes. I don't have the service manual in front of me, but internet says that P0113 is the voltage is to high from the Air Intake Temp sensor, not that the temperature itself is to high. This could be a short to voltage, or on some sensor circuits it could be open circuit that causes it. The P0036 is heater is too slow which could also be wiring.
Gtstorey,
I did find a YouTube video showing how to test the sensor in regards to the P0036 code. Will run ohm test and eliminate that.

Looks like my MAF is MAF/IAT sensor per my Chilton manual. Gave the initial wiring a quick once over and didn't see any issues. My MAF looks fairly new.

Will keep running it down!
Thanks for your comments!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The exhaust side of the turbo will be far hotter than the boiling point of water - usually 550 or more degrees, depending upon the exhaust composition from inside the combustion chamber - so any liquids coming in contact with the exhaust will boil off quickly. The turbo will be VERY hot after running the engine for even a short period of time. If you think that coming in contact with the turbo housing might be an issue, installing the 'stock' Cobalt aluminum heat shield would be a good idea - or even a turbo 'blanket' shield.

Corey

Test drive, STILL dies on deceleration. Still got code P0113. P0113 comes up on every start now, this code never came up on previous starts. Only thing diff is timing got corrected with new sprocket. Cleaned MAF no help, P0036 has not returned today....yet.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You need to start with what does the service manual say for the P0113 code for your particular model. Probably not the real problem for the dying on deceleration.

Without having to reread your build log, what is the quick history of this. Has this been tuned since the swap from lsj to turbo. Did you buy a kit or piece this together by yourself? How did you handle sensor relocation/replacement?

Last edited:

Corey

You need to start with what does the service manual say for the P0113 code for your particular model. Probably not the real problem for the dieing on deceleration.

Without having to reread your build log, what is the quick history of this. Has this been tuned since the swap from lsj to turbo. Did you buy a kit or piece this together by yourself? How did you handle sensor relocation/replacement?
I did not build this car, bought it from builder. The turbo is the zzp entry level kit not pieced together. It has been tuned, I feel like a new tune may be warranted since I found and corrected the damaged cam sprocket/timing issue. The cam sprocket seems to have corrected the idle surging issue!! Very happy over that.

I have read about DFCO feature but i have not confirmed the 2006 cobalt has the deceleration fuel cut off.

HP Log is prior to cam sprocket repair

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not much else that I can think to offer in the way of advice. We really don't have much data to go on. Do you have HPT to post tune and logs?

Corey

Maybe I'm confused. What problem are you trying to correct.
trying to resolve P0113, going to review the chilton manual per your suggestion in a few minutes.

The decel/stall is on the agenda also. Honestly the cat seems drive able at this time. Looks like I have the HPX MAF from zzp as well.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
When the IAT sensor is cold, the sensor resistance is high.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM detects that the IAT sensor 1 parameter is less than -39°C (-38°F) for more than 5 seconds
Unless you're in Antarctica right now, you probably have a shorted wire somewhere. As the IAT sensor 1 is integrated into the MAF, this may or may not affect the MAF readings as well. It should be blending MAF and VE at idle, but whack MAF readings can also keep an engine from running at idle. You need to chase this down before any other diag.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Might need to check a factory service manual. I will be interested to see what the Chilton says. I haven't used Chilton/Hanes manual in a long time. They used to be terrible for trouble shooting DTC's.

Corey

Unless you're in Antarctica right now, you probably have a shorted wire somewhere. As the IAT sensor 1 is integrated into the MAF, this may or may not affect the MAF readings as well. It should be blending MAF and VE at idle, but whack MAF readings can also keep an engine from running at idle. You need to chase this down before any other diag.

did this come from my HP log?--->The PCM detects that the IAT sensor 1 parameter is less than -39°C (-38°F) for more than 5 seconds

the HPL shows 117 at sensor 1 and 131 at #2, but its only my first time to even look at the HPL

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
That is probably what the service manual says will set the code P0113. Based upon the "When the IAT sensor is cold, the sensor resistance is high. " I would guess that -38 F is what is sees with an open circuit. The sensor probably pulls down the voltage when active. That would explain the generic internet of "high voltage" causing P0113.