Corey's track Goblin #261 LSJ-T swapped 06 Donor G85, Cont.........

Corey

https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/r3drckt-extended-track-06-ss-sc-g85.2206/

2/18/2023
Drove to Jackson, MS to meet and purchase Goblin #261.
The steering tie rod end on my truck lost the ball joint nut, lost steering in my truck F*(*&@(*#&%@K ME!!!!!!! Luckily I had a 12", 1/8"stainless steel rod in my truck, I dont know why that rod was still in my truck but it worked, pushed it in the hole where he cotter pin used to be and limped back home, 280 miles. BTW Uhaul did not have a auto transport for rent that day. A little paperwork shuffle and got the one Joe had hauled Goblin with reassigned over to me!!!!

2/19/2023
Slept in, Let wife sleep in. About to drive to AutoZone for new tie rod end decide to take wife and Goblin of a quick spin. 1000 ft down the road and right back....Busy day no time to drive more. Goblin scared the crap out of both me and my wife. WTH have I done, should have kept the C5! I think it had less power!!!! Wife was pissed at me for about 30 mins, she said she thought she was gonna die!!!

2/20/2023
Start Goblin and back out of garage, gotta get work bench and garage a little cleaner before woking on the Goblin! New nylon nut installed on truck tie rod end!!

Ready to pull Goblin back in garage and she wont start! GRRRRRRRRRRR
Fuel pressure is good, 48-49 psi. Found a couple plugs not connected called Joe the builder and discuss, All is good. Pulled CYL 1 coil pack and spark plug, give it a crank and it does spark. Angie heading home from work so no more trouble shooting gotta have dinner ready before Angie gets home or big trouble! LMAO Used tractor to push back in the garage.

Last edited:

Corey

Depressed the pressure relief valve on the fuel line. A few drops of fuel came out. No additional fuel when depressed a 2nd time. Pressure does not go back up. Turn key off and back on pressure still at zero. Give it a couple more on/off cycles and the pressure goes back to 48-49 psi depress pressure relief and the cycle above starts back over.

Fuel pump is running continuous. Should it turn itself off once pressure has been reached regardless if engine has been started??

Should fuel shoot out of schrader valve when depressed and the fuel pump is running?
According to youtube video the answer is yes and this seems logical to me.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You probably should put a fuel pressure gauge in it to check pressure, but it sounds like a problem. However you need to dig through the original build thread to see what changes where made to the fuel system during the LSJ to turbo swap. It's hard to say without knowing the exact changes made. You also will need to review the setup since you might need something other than a stock pump if a replacement is needed.

I see from your pictures that there isn't a muffler on the car. I would be surprised if that o2 sensor is reading correctly without more pipe after it, if it's doing more than just plugging the hole.

And I suggest that you include some details in a signature block saying the donor and that this is a turbo swap vehicle. I would also include a link to the original build log in case someone has time to read through 26 pages to help figure out what mods were done. Looking at the last page of his log, he was still trouble shooting the setup.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Can you take a picture of the top of the tank and the filter? I don't see a return line from the filter/regular back to the tank.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure what filter that is but the system doesn't look right. The standard LSJ filter that I'm familiar with has 3 fittings and acts as the return for the pressure regular in the fuel pump bucket in the stock configuration. I don't know if this system has been modified in some way to not require that return line or if the filter is just wrong.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I'm no expert but my LSJ-T still uses the LSJ fuel filter with both lines running from the pump to the filter. I'm not sure that capping the 2nd port at the pump will behave the same way. How will fuel return without a 2nd line hooked up?

edit: Jinx. What Nate ^ said.

Corey

I'm not sure what filter that is but the system doesn't look right. The standard LSJ filter that I'm familiar with has 3 fittings and acts as the return for the pressure regular in the fuel pump bucket in the stock configuration. I don't know if this system has been modified in some way to not require that return line or if the filter is just wrong.

Fozda, I can hear the fuel swirling in the tank like a line has broke loose or something sim. Once I finish my coffee I will go pull the pump and see whats going on inside.

Dale E

Look just above the filter on the tank. I believe that the builder did an optional return line and that is it showing in the center of the tank right of pump.. So, he would use the two connection filter in this application. That is why Corey is hearing fuel circulate in the tank.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Look just above the filter on the tank. I believe that the builder did an optional return line and that is it showing in the center of the tank right of pump.. So, he would use the two connection filter in this application. That is why Corey is hearing fuel circulate in the tank.
Oh, yep, I see that now!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Looks like a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. Could be something with the boost reference is dumping all of the fuel pressure and that is what you are hearing flowing back into the tank?

Corey

Pulled fuel pump from tank and no obvious issues. Pulled the fuel line going into the fuel filter. 2-3 ounces of fuel drains back. Turned fuel pump on to test flow and pump, good flow into fuel can. Reattached fuel line at filter bolt pump back down. Recheck schrader valve and now getting multiple ounces of fuel when depressed, before just a quick small squirt. Before instant pressure drop at the gauge to zero. Now dropped to about 20 psi after an ounce or more squirts out.
Battery dead, running to parts store for the battery charger.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I noticed in the other build thread that he mentioned he had to give it some throttle when starting after switching to the BRFP system. Did you try giving it some throttle when starting?

Dale E

I believe the way your fuel pressure regulator is plumb it makes it a though flow (straight through) and will not hold pressure in the system. If it was plumbed like a deadhead system, then it might hold pressure. There should be another plugged opening on the bottom of the pressure regulator that if the return line was fitted to, would make it hold fuel pressure at the rail.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I think that last picture has a plug opposite the inlet port, so that should be correct.

My external fuel pressure regulator bleeds down in about 12 hours but pressure picks right back up with a key-on.
Fuel pump is running continuous. Should it turn itself off once pressure has been reached regardless if engine has been started??
My '06 LSJ will run the fuel pump for about 10 seconds with a key-on, then won't run again until the motor starts turning over.

Theoretically a boost reference regulator will go real rich for a second on startup as there's no vacuum in the intake manifold yet to pull the fuel pressure down, but in practice that hasn't been an issue for me.