Donor Opinions / Questions

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Oh and don't forget to highlight the rust in the rockers and ding the price for rusty brake and fuel lines as you "will have to change them" to safely drive. (you don't need them for the goblin).

Traé

Anything to lookout for / worry about on an 1st year 05 SCs? Haven’t seen many in the build logs using them. Mostly 06-07s

RCK605

The fuel pump wiring is different. The easy solution is to get a new pump from a newer model and a pigtail connector. Then you can wire it per the

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
$2400 you could get him down to. Body damage alllll over that thing, bumper paint, body panels are different colors of red, fenders pealed back into the side skirt and side skirt hanging off, busted out passenger rear window etc. Talk him down on stuff that doesnt matter on the goblin.
If it had original wheels Id be looking at it this weekend. It IS an RPD car which is a cool option in 09.

Traé

Just picked up my donor. The price was right but one issue I noticed during the test drive. Higher rpm’s result in the engine stuttering. Has a check engine light but forgot my scanner at home. Other than that it seems to run and shift smooth.
It’s an 06 SS/SC and does have an upgraded exhaust and k&n intake, from reading online it may be a vacuum leak?
Any advice would help, I plan to dig into it more tomorrow. Once it’s running right I’ll start tearing it down:)

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats on getting a donor! Vacuum leaks are more noticeable at idle, less at high RPM. Could be a lot of things, a ODBii scan would be a good starting point. The ECU is pretty good at learning how the car is running, and compensating for vacuum leaks by adding more fuel to the fuel trim tables. HP Tuners can show you a lot of what the engine is doing... It is free to scan other peoples cars, if you have a friend with HP Tuners.

Traé

Congrats on getting a donor! Vacuum leaks are more noticeable at idle, less at high RPM. Could be a lot of things, a ODBii scan would be a good starting point.
I figured needing to scan. I’ll grab that and research more. Thank you

Traé

Pulled Codes, nothing seems to point towards the stuttering issue. I’m going to look at spark plus and coil packs this weekend. Probably good to just replace the spark plugs.

P0036
P0141
P0442
P1133

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
P0036 is set because you are not using the second O2 sensor.
P0141 relates to P0036 for O2 sensor.
P0442 is set because you are not using the evap system.
P1133 relates to P0036 for O2 sensor.

None of these codes should be causing a stutter in the engine. I would look at fuel pressure, which might not be high enough to keep up with fuel injectors volume required at higher RPM. Do you have bigger injectors?

These codes are 'normal' for a Goblin build. Not certain, but they may able to be turned off - HP Tuners?

Traé

P0036 is set because you are not using the second O2 sensor.
P0141 relates to P0036 for O2 sensor.
P0442 is set because you are not using the evap system.
P1133 relates to P0036 for O2 sensor.

None of these codes should be causing a stutter in the engine. I would look at fuel pressure, which might not be high enough to keep up with fuel injectors volume required at higher RPM. Do you have bigger injectors?

These codes are 'normal' for a Goblin build. Not certain, but they may able to be turned off - HP Tuners?
I’m not sure yet. I plan to dig into it this weekend and try to get a list of not stock things that are installed.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Late model service manual has p1133 as insufficient switching on sensor 1 so it might be a problem . Need to confirm if it the same for older models.
Upgraded exhaust and K&N intake without a tune could be the problem.

Traé

Late model service manual has p1133 as insufficient switching on sensor 1 so it might be a problem . Need to confirm if it the same for older models.
Upgraded exhaust and K&N intake without a tune could be the problem.
I’ll look into that. Not sure about a tune but I planned on getting it tuned anyways to make sure everything is kosher since it has some aftermarket parts and I was told “not tuned correctly”. Has a 2.8” pulley installed and missing a screw :/

Pic of the engine bay, there’s a green hose that is loose and looks out of place. Not sure what the thing is it’s hooking up to but I plan to research the name of all components.

Attachments

Last edited: