Insurance

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I know this has been discussed briefly before, but I wanted to bring it back up again and update some of the information. I'm in the process of trying to look for insurance to get the car licensed.

For those of you that have insurance now, please give me an idea of what to expect.

1) What company did you go with?
2) How much coverage (liability only, full coverage, etc.)
3) Restrictions?
4) Cost ( six months or year)?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Cooper insurance.

Stated value of $15,000 full coverage.

Contract states limited use, parades, car shows, and “occasional pleasure use” which I figure is a bit of a catch all.

One year for.... $255!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Cooper insurance.

Stated value of $15,000 full coverage.

Contract states limited use, parades, car shows, and “occasional pleasure use” which I figure is a bit of a catch all.

One year for.... $255!
Who exactly is this? I did a search and came up with many Possible Cooper Insurance. I would like to see if I can get the same thing.

Is it Cooper Insures?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I got mine through progressive, I just have liability at 225 per year. But there is no mileage limits or any other silly terms they could use to void your coverage. The more I thought about it the more I was thinking if its totaled I'm probably a gonner. And really I only care about hitting someone else.

Nuker-

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I got mine through progressive, I just have liability at 225 per year. But there is no mileage limits or any other silly terms they could use to void your coverage. The more I thought about it the more I was thinking if its totaled I'm probably a gonner. And really I only care about hitting someone else.

Nuker-
I had received a quote from them through my insurance company and it was much higher and every 6 months. It might be because my son was on the policy.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Calling Progressive now. They say they don't insure cars like this. Ugh! It got a quote from them but they don't insure cars like this. I'm just trying to find decent insurance that doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I got a quote from Geico. $130 for 6-months for liability only. Adding Kaleb upped it an additional $150.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
When you're calling around for insurance, do you tell them it's an assembled vehicle, replica, or does it matter which one you go with? And does one way or the other affect a settlement if you're ever in an accident when you're not at fault.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
When you're calling around for insurance, do you tell them it's an assembled vehicle, kit car, or does it matter which one you go with? And does one way or the other affect a settlement if you're ever in an accident when you're not at fault.
Most reps I talk to don't even know what to do or how to do it. One site did specifically state a kit car but specified that it be XX years old. There is no full coverage offered with most companies. Progressive argued that it had to be a 2015 or older, why I have no clue. So, I'm lucky to get someone that can enter some information and generate a quote. Dealing with a agent may help yield better results. Today I'm going to call the agent I have my classic car insurance through, that one cost me $50 every six months.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Who exactly is this? I did a search and came up with many Possible Cooper Insurance. I would like to see if I can get the same thing.

Is it Cooper Insures?
Here's the email address of Brittney Gibbons from Cooper Insures (this is who we've worked with to insure our Goblins). I'm not sure if she can help you out of state but it is worth asking because she has done a handful of Goblins and knows how to get it done.

Email: [email protected]

Just tell her you are insuring a DF Goblin kit car and she'll know what to do. You should also let her know you are out of state.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Here's the email address of Brittney Gibbons from Cooper Insures (this is who we've worked with to insure our Goblins). I'm not sure if she can help you out of state but it is worth asking because she has done a handful of Goblins and knows how to get it done.

Email: [email protected]

Just tell her you are insuring a DF Goblin kit car and she'll know what to do. You should also let her know you are out of state.

Thanks Adam and JSATX! I'll give them a call today.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Brittany got all of our car insurance business!!! She has done a great job for us.
She was great when I called. But as expected, since I'm out of state, she couldn't help me. She did tell the company she used and I found an agent locally but they didn't know what they were doing and quoted me $900 for six months of liability.

I ended up with Geico for $140 for six months.

KJP

She was great when I called. But as expected, since I'm out of state, she couldn't help me. She did tell the company she used and I found an agent locally but they didn't know what they were doing and quoted me $900 for six months of liability.

I ended up with Geico for $140 for six months.
Is the 140 liability or full coverage?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Well Geico cancelled our policy!

I've been on the phone all morning with many different insurance companies and none of them are used to dealing with a unique situation like this. I may be making this more complicated than possible, I'm not sure. The mainstream companies state they can't insure specialty cars and then the specialty car (historical/collector) companies say I just need regular insurance since we are not trying to agree on a "collector car replacement price".