JS City Goblin - 2010 LS

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I picked up the Eastwood powder coating kit. It seems to work pretty well, I’ll say it’s not quite as easy as everyone makes it out to be but still seems a lot better than paint.

The prismatic powders sure are nice. This photo doesn’t do it justice at all!
C303A086-A57F-4EB7-97B7-F341D24B8C49.jpeg

That’s illusion cherry. I definitely wish I would have bought this in the beginning. All the small parts I painted could have been coated.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I really haven’t done enough to give any advice. I can say don’t do it in your kitchen oven. I got one on Craigslist for $40. Make sure the part is completely clean. You’ll want to go over the entire part with acetone before coating. Remove the rack from the oven, Hang the part from the oven rack and spray it like that because if you don’t the powder will fall off before you can get it in the oven.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Justin, did you already see these: http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1716&idcategory=326 for balance shaft delete options:

Product Details:
If you are spinning your engine above 7500 rpm it is recommended to replace the stock balance shafts with neutrals or to completely remove them. These bushings are used to plug the balance shaft oil feed holes in the block. They have a 5/8"-18 thread so you can install them with a slide hammer and remove them the same way if you want to go back to stock. They are made from 6061 aluminum in the U.S.A

When you install these in the block you have two options. If you are running an electric water pump you will only need the two bushings and you can delete the short chain completely. If you are running the stock water pump you will need to retain the short chain. We do this by machining off the front part of the stock balance shafts. We then use them as an idler for the gear to ride on. These are available for an extra charge as an option below.

Silverback

The OTTP bushings seem to be unique in that they can be installed and removed with a slide hammer. It's a pretty clever solution. Every other bushing I've seen will be just about impossible to remove once installed.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Well I had a very interesting day. I spent a lot of time prepping for a local race and was really excited for it only to be black flagged on the 4th lap. At least it was only for noise limit violation and nothing more serious. I guess running a straight pipe is too loud even if it’s a 4 banger with a turbo.

I’ve not had it on the track since the turbo install, the power was a ton of fun but for some reason I felt a lot more roll than I have on the shorter tracks I’ve been on previously. I really feel like I need to stiffen the rear struts. Maybe cobalt lowering springs would help.

theeulogy

I went ahead and ordered the Raceland coilovers. My struts are in really bad shape and I didn't like the way they looked. I should have them Saturday, so expect to see pictures of them on my build guide Saturday night or Sunday.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well I had a very interesting day. I spent a lot of time prepping for a local race and was really excited for it only to be black flagged on the 4th lap. At least it was only for noise limit violation and nothing more serious. I guess running a straight pipe is too loud even if it’s a 4 banger with a turbo.

I’ve not had it on the track since the turbo install, the power was a ton of fun but for some reason I felt a lot more roll than I have on the shorter tracks I’ve been on previously. I really feel like I need to stiffen the rear struts. Maybe cobalt lowering springs would help.
What's your plan to make it quieter?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Do you have the sway bar installed? I might take it out and try again. I know I really liked it on short tracks but longer ones might not need it
No bar installed on mine, But when I make aggressive turns I can feel the back rolling and the front feels solid. I'm sure it's the springs/shocks in the back.

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
That red/black looks awesome. If you could do it again, would you still go staggered (size) wheels?
I think it’s important to be honest with yourself what the intended uses are. I knew going into it that I would be 80% Street, 10% track and 10% drag. I think the staggered look is killer and would probably do it again.

If I was setting up a track car I would go 15x9 all around.

dperkins

I’m not sure how your track measures noise, but for Laguna Seca everyone puts on laguna pipes. We know where they measure the noise, so we install 90 degree bends on the exhaust to direct the noise away from the sound station. If you know where your sound measuring station is, you could try just a simple 90 bend to reduce your measured noise. Just a little tip because I love the look of your exhaust right now.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’m not sure how your track measures noise, but for Laguna Seca everyone puts on laguna pipes. We know where they measure the noise, so we install 90 degree bends on the exhaust to direct the noise away from the sound station. If you know where your sound measuring station is, you could try just a simple 90 bend to reduce your measured noise. Just a little tip because I love the look of your exhaust right now.
Dude I got kicked out 4 laps in for noise.

That’s why I didn’t really post about it haha. But the picture was cool

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The nose panel is looking good. In your quick 4 laps, how did it feel with it on? Does it feel a little less effected by wind gust, more planted, etc?
I can only say it’s much air in your face. But with a small windshield it’ll be ok