Mikes Extended, Full Frame Goblin - 2009 Cobalt LS with 135k donor

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
All right, I guess I’m starting on my first built/modification log since I didn’t build the car and bought it used. Please be aware that I have plenty of questions. Some of them might be so simple but for me so difficult since I haven’t built the car and didn’t made the experience so please be patient with me. A little background above myself I’m a mechanical and electrical engineer, but my passion is really software and programming. My wife and our two kids consume the majority of my time, but late in the evening I sometimes find a little time to work on other projects. I bought the Goblin to drive it with my kids. I am big in remote controlled(RC) airplanes, Helicopter cars and drones. I build drones completely from scratch and help develop the open source software to fly them. I help our local hobby club and run the website www.SoFloRC.com (South Florida RC). I post amazon affiliate links which help supporting this hobby. So if you ever need something, shoot me a message and I can create you a link. You will probably see a lot more posts when it comes to electronics from me. However, I worked during my time at the University in a motorcycle shop and got used to work on motorcycles, including working on the engine, but never tore down an engineer more than removing the valve assembly. I build myself a milling machine for my garage, have a 3D printer and laser engraver. I recently moved the laser head on the milling machine to cut the goblin roof. One of the projects I am working on. I have access to commercial grade milling, lathes and laser machines as well.

I am located at the east coast of South Florida.

Here are some details about my car: Link

DF Kit Car Options – Extended frame, Full cage and door bars, Fiberglass Hood, Windscreen, Fiberglass Footwell Cover, Aluminum Side Panels, Side Mirrors, LED Taillights, Button Panels, Rear Coilover Kit, Parking Brake Kit, Tow Bar Package, Stainless Brake Hoses, Wing Mounts, Steering Quick Release, Bearing Hub Caps, Upgraded Shifter Bellcranks

Key Upgrades – Corbeau Microsuede FX1 Pro Seats, Corbeau 4-Point Harness Belts, MOMO Flatbottom Steering Wheel, Solid Shifter, Drag DR77 custom painted wheels (17x7.5), Nitto NT555 Tires (front 225/45ZR17, rear 255/50ZR17), GENSSI 5 Inch LED Headlight Lamp, Carbon Fiber wrap on Hood, Odo Pro reset, ZZP Exhaust Manifold, MOOG 5x110 Bearing Hubs front and rear, HP Tuners, Steering Limiter, Mophorn Double Deck GT Wing Spoiler, LED Spoiler Rear Brake Light

Finish – The frame is powder coated in Formosa Blue, with the gas tank, body panels, and other parts powder coated in black. The valve cover and brake calipers are painted in sakhir orange.

Engine – An extremely clean engine from the doner; refer to the photo in the link with the valve cover removed. I had planned to use a refurbished engine, but it was so clean I kept the doner engine.

Transmission – I purchased a used transmission from Remanns with 32k miles.

New Components – Brake Master Cylinder, Alternator, Intake Manifold, Starter, Throttle body, Exhaust Manifold, Clutch Components, Hoses and belts, Catalytic Converter, Drive Shafts, Steering Rack

Mods so far:
- Kirky Racing Seat https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/58700LW/SEAT-ALUMINUM-17-LIGHTWEIGHT-20-LAYBACK
- Hp Tuners little adjustments
- Inside mirror and dashcam installation https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/mirror-with-dashcam-and-3d-printed-brackets.4603/
- Power outlets and 3d printed brakets https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-did-you-install-your-12v-outlet-need-some-ideas.4601/

Last edited:

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Here are some links, I found helpful.
Chevrolet Cobalt Owner’s and Maintenance Manuals PDF

Service Manual
LNF full manual

https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiring-schematics-2006-2010-cobalt-g5-ls-lt-gt-ss-le5-lnf-lsj-lap-l61.3402/

Wiring Schematics - 2006 / 2010 Cobalt/G5 LS, LT, GT, SS - LE5, LNF, LSJ, LAP, L61

DIY Rear End Alignment

DIY Front End Alignment

HP Tuners
Torque Steer

Controll arm bushings

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Oh, so Ross has steel control arms? Judging from the pictures, I belive I have aluminum. Will check tomorrow.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have aluminum swing arms on my goblin, but the steel one was sitting in my shop, so I used it to mock up the parts.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
fwiw everyone talks about replacing the rear bushing because they're always torn up when they come out of the Cobalt, stock replacements are soft and not particularly durable, and there's an affordable and effective upgrade (the Moog K201285)

The front bushing doesn't seem to fall apart like the rear and has less of an effect on acceleration and braking. Its primary loading is lateral, i.e. turning.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Even if the DF bushing fit as the front bushing in the aluminum control arm. I still don't know how it would fasten to the subframe. You might want to try and check with DF on what their intent was.

Chris_WNC

That Moog K201285 goes in spot 1 in your drawing above. #4 is a ball joint. Something like a Moog K80566.

I can't figure out how those DF bushing and sleeve are going to work. Looking forward to your update when you get one.

Chris

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Haven't heard back from Df. They never answered my first email either. So I have limited hope to hear from them.

Anyway, was working on the car today, wanted to get the roof cut, but decided to work on my seat. Maschined some seat raiser. If someone needs something like that, let me know. Put some old tractor tube at the bottom, to protect the paint.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Emails take time to get answered, Adam probably gets dozens every day. Call their main number, make sure it's either right before lunch or right after lunch - Dallas time. You may have to call more than once, but someone will eventually answer. Keep in mind DF is a small operation and the kitcar side of the business is not the only thing they do - they machine aerospace parts and that's why they are in business.

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Got a response today from DF:
The descriptions for the brake center rings were updated https://store.dfkitcar.com/products/brake-centering-ring
Bushings description is updated as well https://store.dfkitcar.com/products/control-arm-bushing
Sleeves are updated as well https://store.dfkitcar.com/products/control-arm-bushing-sleeve

They were so nice and sent me the correct center rings for my 5 lug hub and refunded me the other purchases. Great service!

Seems like the only things to do now is Moog K201285 in spot 1.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
While their response time has gotten a little slower, they always do more than right to the customers. Some of us are spoiled because the responses used to be within a day or even hours

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Morning, so I am getting closer to my upgrade. Instead of supercharging my LAP I found a guy on facebook selling a stock LSJ engine, with ECU, BCM and wiring harness.Located just 1.5h north of me. So I can easily pick up. Funds still pending approval by my better half :D

I am planning to keep the F23 gearbox and exhaust and replace the ECU, BCM, Harness and engine. Is there anything else I have overseen to get the job done?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Good point... pretty sure I read somewhere the brake and clutch position sensors are different on late models. A cursory look at RockAuto seems to indicate this