Nate - Track Goblin - 2008 Cobalt Donor

Nate

Good Afternoon,
My name is Nathan Riexinger and I am a Biology Major (Pre-Dental Track) at Canisius College just finishing up my Junior year. With the very competitive nature of college and selective process for acceptance into dental school I needed a creative outlet. Shooting trap works until it gets cold out.... building cars works plus I have access to a heated garage.
So here is what I have going on. My dad (Bruce) and I have been talking with Adam for a while trying to do a complete "Goblin" build at one of the car shows. That is why I have not posted anything to this point, but after my latest conversation with Adam it doesn't look like our schedules are going to work for actually doing the build at a show. Disappointed but that being said this is the progress and what I have been working on.
The donor is a original 2008 Cobalt with a broken timing chain which was picked up for $500.00.

All the donor parts stripped down waiting to be cleaned. (Note... also trimmed the radiator ears off the cradle before having them powder coated)

image4-4.JPG

I also came across a 2009 Cobalt engine VVT 2.2 Ecotec with only 7000 miles. For only $700.00. But here is the really good part; I was able to get the transmission, an extra cradle and the engine wiring harness for that price. In addition, seeing my donor was not wrecked he took all my spare parts and let me remove the dash and body wiring harness out of a wrecked 2009 Cobalt.

image2-4.JPG

Here I am during spring break with the extra cradle used as a engine dolly. Needless to say I had to go all out if I was going to do this build at a show. So power washed repeatedly cleaned painted and then clear coated with hi temp paint.

image5-4.JPG

Here is the finished product. Just finishing up the rest of the other wiring harnesses before I start wrapping them up. I think that I should be able to test run the engine right on the cradle that way I can test the harnesses and the engine before even putting it into the frame (that was one of the things I was trying to do for the show getting everything running and tested. Nothing worst then chasing a problem under the gun.)

image1.JPG

The last photo is of most of the donor parts cleaned and painted (powder coated). Everything has been wrapped up, logged and put into bins just in case the opportunity for a show build still arises. If it doesn't I'll be ready either way whether I build it here or there I'll have a Goblin to take some of the edge off school.

image3-4.JPG

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thats a super clean set of donor parts. Nice job.

Its neat you're getting to build a "second one." That would be the only reason I would ever consider selling mine. So I could build another after having done one! Though to be completely honest there really is not much I would change, except maybe starting out with a supercharged donor.

Nate

Hey everyone,

Here is an update on my build. My father and I drove down to Texas in order to pick up my frame as well as most of my other kit components.
IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

After a long 21 hour drive each way I have started to lay out some of the parts:
IMG_3938.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3941.JPG

The frame as well as miscellaneous parts will go in to be powder coated after I design a roll cage that is similar to my fathers (BAR-AIR)

Finally, I had to have my first driving experience in my new frame. I think I had a couple parts missing but it didn't seem to drive as well as my dads just yet...
IMG_3937.JPG

...and so the journey begins (also I'm sure you can tell that I reverted back to the street frame)

Nate

Nate

Hello everyone,

Over the last week I have been able to start the assembly process of my goblin. I Just received my frame as well as a couple dozen other parts from powder coating last Monday.
IMG_4016.JPG

I decided to go matte black because I think with the sliver accents it will look pretty sweet.

Here are all of the parts all laid out:
IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

Over the last week I have installed the floor/firewall, radiator hoses, steering column, pedals, brake booster, fuel tank, and parts of the front tire assembly:
IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

More updates in the near future.

Nate

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Very nice and organized. Curious; which wheels did you end up going with and what sizes are they?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Looks really good so far! I'm thinking about the same color for the frame but this colored accent parts. Interesting about cutting off the radiator ears, I need to look into that. I wish my donor would have had better parts, I'm going to have to replace the axles shafts and the lower control arm/bushings.

Nate

@ctuinstra thanks!

As for the cutting off of the radiator ears, my frame came that way. I believe they removed them to make sliding the radiator hose through easier, which definitely was when comparing it to my dads frame which has the ears. I was lucky enough to find a rear ended donor with less than 10K so most of the parts just needed a little soap, wire brush, and a couple coats of paint and they look as good as new!

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
As for the cutting off of the radiator ears, my frame came that way. I believe they removed them to make sliding the radiator hose through easier, which definitely was when comparing it to my dads frame which has the ears.
I think ctuinstra was talking about the ears that you cut off of the subframe/cradle but it is good to hear the hose was easier with the new front end design.

DanPerryy

I cut off one of mine, the one on the right side. I mounted my outside temp sensor in the other one.

Nate

Working out the front electronics as well as put in the engine yesterday night. @DanPerryy I have not been logging hours.
IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG

...and yes I realize the intake is going to the wrong way I was just tidying up the back computer and didn't want it in the way
IMG_4044.JPG

More Updates soon...
Nate

BAR-AIR

Just a quick note with regards to Nathan's build. For those of you taking a close look at his engine. His donor car was actually a 2008 Cobalt LT with a blown engine (timing chain jumped a gear). So that is where all his braking and steering, non-engine/transmission components came from. The engine/transmission and engine harness (2.2 Ecotec VVT) where removed from a 2009 Cobalt it only had 7000 total miles (bad part is the body was already scraped when we got there). But we were able to cannibalizes a different 2009 with a VVT for the rest of the body wiring harnesses and computers.
Nate is doing a really nice job on his build (he is hoping for the back ordered parts very soon so that he can get the wheel on before going back to school).

Nate

Hello all,

I know it has been a while since I have touched the forum but I have started my winter break from school which gives me a good chunk of time to work on my kit. As of right now the wiring is at a stand still. I will be posting pictures of plugs that I have questions as to their final positions below. I am going to surf through the youtube build guide videos, and while great, they can lead to more questions o_O. I figured I would post them here that way I can search for answers in the videos and have the forum's wisdom going simultaneously.

Yesterday I painted some misc. parts as well as my calipers to match my frame in matte black which today I had the pleasure of installing.
Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.19.00.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.20.03.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.21.33.png

As for my electronics questions here are my unanswered plugs. All of the plugs below are currently situated in the rear of the car close to the engine as I want to work my way from the back to the front in order to tidy up my wiring.
Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.28.50.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.34.03.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.34.58.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.37.57.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.38.31.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.39.03.png

Screenshot 2017-12-29 17.39.33.png

I understand that each model year may have different wiring and plugs but any assistance would be appreciated!

Finally here is a shot of it sitting on all fours! Regardless, slow progress is still progress.

More updates to come!
Nate

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Are these all engine harness connectors? If they are, then that will help me narrow things down based on what I see in the '09 service manual.

#2 appears to be an O2 sensor and #5 looks like it might be the AC refrigerant pressure sensor.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think #3 plugs into your fuse block next to the power steering plug. I am not sure what it supplies power to.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.
1. ????
2. Appears to be secondary O2 sensor
3. ????
4. Appears to be A/C compressor clutch
5. Appears to be A/C Refrigerant pressure sensor
6. Appears to be generator/alternator
7. Appears to be EVAP canister purge solenoid

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
#7 may plug into the evap vacuum solenoid located near the end of the head above the bell housing. I am not at the shop right now but I will look tomorrow.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Does #1 possibly plug into the fuel injector wiring harness or the throttle body.