PHerder's Track Frame with lower entry bars

PHerder

It is only my opinion but I believe they are cheaper, stronger and quicker to produce than the aluminum pieces. I.e. one operation to cut the shape and holes via laser and then bent 90 degrees as opposed to probably a bunch of machining to an aluminum block.

I don't think there is any difference in where the bolts go to mount the upright to the a-arms so no replacements necessary.

I.e. aluminum pieces probably look better but steel pieces are much cheaper to produce. :D

Which reminds me of a friend who many years ago was building a street rod. I was visiting when he was polishing an aluminum piece to a mirror shine. After he was done polishing it, he assembled it into the front end of his street rod. You couldn't even see it once it was installed. :confused: I asked him why go thru all the trouble for a piece that wasn't visible and his response was, "I knew it was there!" :rolleyes:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Which reminds me of a friend who many years ago was building a street rod. I was visiting when he was polishing an aluminum piece to a mirror shine. After he was done polishing it, he assembled it into the front end of his street rod. You couldn't even see it once it was installed. :confused: I asked him why go thru all the trouble for a piece that wasn't visible and his response was, "I knew it was there!" :rolleyes:
I struggle with that all the time. I'm kind of that way. I have pretty parts of an engine that won't be seen. I probably would have battled with the idea of polishing the pistons. :)

PHerder

IAW another thread, I have changed out all the bolts to pass thru the upright like the picture Adam posted (page 6 of this thread) shows and changed out the bottom mount reversed from how I first assembled it. The angle of the hubs (camber) is a LOT closer now that I have the uprights assembled correctly! :p

Just need to torque them down to the correct readings and will be completely finished. I think... o_O

It was a good way to get my mind off the 450 size helicopter I am assembling. LOTS of fiddly bits that my old hands and eyes have been having trouble dealing with!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
man helis are great. The new collective pitch models are just unbelievably quick. I only flew one nitro smoker but had a few of the bigger Blade series and they were awesome.

PHerder

All my RC stuff (LOTs of airplanes, a couple of multirotors and 6, 450 size helicopters) are electric. I do have one nitro helicopter that is ~ 40 years old! It was my first and I rebuilt it after it's last "flight" (crash) to hang in my area to remind me NEVER to try to fly helicopters again!

I didn't listen and so over the years I have kept going back into them with very little success until the electronics/flight controllers came out. Now at least I can fly them around a little and of course, hover them.

On another note... here is a picture I took of my left upright to show it correctly assembled... I think... o_O
IMG_20180104_161600.jpg

PHerder

Well, another setback... :( I was looking at the video of the engine/transmission install and checked my mounts. The engine side seems to be right but the transmission side doesn't come close to the holes on the transmission.

I guess that the two manual transmissions are mounted differently? I.e. the SS/SC transmission is the one I have but the mount is for the 2.2l model?

Tony

Well, another setback... :( I was looking at the video of the engine/transmission install and checked my mounts. The engine side seems to be right but the transmission side doesn't come close to the holes on the transmission.

I guess that the two manual transmissions are mounted differently? I.e. the SS/SC transmission is the one I have but the mount is for the 2.2l model?
Check out my thread, I had the same issue. You have to use the stock aluminum standoff block to get the holes lined up, but it needs to be shortened. Adam should be able to send you a modified one.

AleX1/9

DF changed the engine mounts as welded to the frame at some point, but here is my 07SS/SC transmission side mount setup as supplied with my kit. It uses 3 unequal length standoffs up to a plate which bolts to the frame. I did have to grind away some of the rearward standoff for it to clear the transmission:

PHerder

My plate holes do not come close to the transmission mounting holes and I didn't get those length of spacers.

Lonny? Adam? A little help here? ;)

BAR-AIR

Good Evening Paul,
Congratulations on selling your Goblin. After talking with you on a couple of occasions I’m sad that you never told the forum what the issues you were having. Needless to say, your health has been a large obstacle in your build (that we all knew). The second obstacle, was the lack of support (did you ever get your harnesses or your back ordered parts?) You were one of the original builders there is no reason in the world that you shouldn’t have all the parts to construct your kit (the guys at DF knew you were having a physically hard time and in my book they didn’t step up to the plate to give you a hand - simply by getting you your parts and services you paid for)... In the end, I think the psychological lack of support was worse.
Just my opinion....
Bruce

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I guess you could call it bittersweet. I enjoyed following you along, but I understand Paul comes first. I hope you got a fair deal on it.

grantcropper

More bad news. :mad:

The Atom PCM is SO locked down that it can't be flashed unless it is unlocked. :confused:

Now I am sending in my donor's PCM to have it flashed and hopefully the CASE learn code will not be set. IAW Turbo Tim, it isn't a problem running the engine, just a CEL being set. I will have to have a local dealer do the CASE learn to remove it.

One set forward, two steps back!

:eek:
Hey Herder,

I just got bad news about my PCM that you previously noted about yours being locked. Can you tell me what you ended up doing to resolve your issues? Did you have to buy a new PCM or can they be unlocked somehow?