Tim's Extended Track Lower Entry - 10 SS/Tc *REGISTERED*

Tim Moland

It is just bare aluminum. When I ordered the kit, I talked to Adam about the aluminum tarnishing. We looked at his car, and the uprights did not look tarnished. However, the rear shock tower mount plates(also aluminum) did have some discoloration. We speculated that it was because it was a horizontal surface that allowed water to sit in it. I got those powdercoated to match the frame. I could get the uprights clear coated I guess, but they were a pain to get installed simply because I do not own a 15/16" wrench. When tightening the pivot bolts, I had to use my Arkansas socket set, which did not fit in between the black brackets. I had to disassemble each black bracket, bolt it onto the opposite side for support, torque the pivot bolt, and then reassemble the black bracket back to its proper position. So in hind sight, I should have got them clear coated before I installed them if I were going to do it.

Tim Moland

Anyone with an assembled and driven car... And I mean driven a lot, how do your uprights look? Are they tarnished? Should I get mine clear coated to protect them?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I used a product called Protectaclear I got from Amazon waiting to see how it holds up. I coated all the un coated aluminum parts on my car. And still have some left. I coated the bolts also on the front suspension

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
B29 Superfortress. Doc was just restored last year and returned to flying status after close to 15 years of hard work by a huge team of veterans and aviation enthusiasts. I was part of the team working on the engine (Pratt & Whitney) electronics several years ago. I was so glad to see her flying again and got a tour about a year before she was recertified in Dayton.

Tim, don't mean to hijack your build thread.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I know a lot of Factory Five guys used this stuff on their aluminum paneling...

I may keep my aluminum panels raw aluminum and coat them with this. I am kinda partial to "bare" metals.

Tim Moland

Interesting. Looks like there are a lot options that are better than clear coating.

Last edited:

Tim Moland

Started tonight off with getting all the subframe /suspension bolts in and torqued. Man, that front solid transmission mount was a pain in the @ss! I had to loosen all the motor mounts back up, use a jack to force things into place, and whack the bracket with a 2X4 and a rubber mallet to get everything lined up enough to get all the bolts started. By far the hardest thing I have done on this car(DF pulled my coolant hoses through the frame ). Then I moved on to the steering wheel. Took a little while to figure out how that all went together. Got everything on but the turn signal cancel arm. I'll wait till I get it driving and aligned before I place that.
20190420_033734.jpg
20190420_033754.jpg
20190420_033743.jpg
20190420_033814.jpg

Then I tackled the rear coilovers. I'm sure I don't have the springs adjusted right, and I need to add anti-seize before doing so. Inserted the drive shafts and slipped the knuckles over and torqued the bolts down. I had one of the knuckle bolts snap on me when tightening it, so it's off to the junk yard tomorrow. Finished the night off with installing the rear steering lock bar along with the rod ends. I Need to research how to align all this stuff.
20190420_033613.jpg
20190420_033625.jpg
20190420_033602.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Do you work work through the night? Too much dedication!

Everyone has issues with the front engine mount. I think from the factory the alignment wasn't right when the engineered it. Our factory mounts had tell-tales signs they didn't line up. But the bolt hole on the factory bushing is so large, it allows for the poor alignment. We never did get the front solid mount in and had to go back to the factory mount. I found out our factory mount may have been upgraded to neoprene, which is closer to solid.

Tim Moland

I work second shift, so my Goblin build time starts at 10pm when I get off work. Although I will admit, I have been staying up a couple extra hours each night. It's hard to stop working when you're having so much fun. Originally, this was supposed to be a slow, over the summer build, but it just goes together so easy. I fear I'm about out of stuff to do until I get some back ordered parts from DF. Some may have noticed, I don't have a wiring harness installed yet(DF is making mine). I'm jumping around doing everything I can with the parts I got.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I work second shift, so my Goblin build time starts at 10pm when I get off work. Although I will admit, I have been staying up a couple extra hours each night. It's hard to stop working when you're having so much fun. Originally, this was supposed to be a slow, over the summer build, but it just goes together so easy. I fear I'm about out of stuff to do until I get some back ordered parts from DF. Some may have noticed, I don't have a wiring harness installed yet(DF is making mine). I'm jumping around doing everything I can with the parts I got.
Yeah, it goes surprisingly quick if you have everything. It's the little things that slow you down. I can't seem to get the hood wrapped. I wanted it done by now for the car shows, etc. All of a sudden you run out of things to do.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yeah. It's surprising how much you can get done in a few hours. Seems like the build flew by.

Tim Moland

Worked on the intercooler tonight. Got it mounted and got most of the turbo to intercooler piping done. It is a very tight fit. I still have one clamp that I cannot get the nut started on(the smaller end of the Intercooler coupler).
20190423_032407.jpg

I also worked on the fuel line connection. I'm told that the original fuel line is too be reused. Not sure how everyone else is doing that. Mine was not in a shape to reconnect it without twisting it up to get the connectors to go the right way. I decided to use a heat gun to reform the line to get it to work better. I got it on, but not really happy with how it is routed. It looks out of place.
20190423_032448.jpg

Tim Moland

Got the passenger seat modified to fit the frame rails and got it installed.
20190425_010706.jpg

Now I have to remove both of them and paint all the bare metal on the seat frames. I'm going to install the factory set belts for inspection. Does DF supply the hardware to do this? The original bolts threaded into the cars frame, and now it's a through bolt situation.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
On the seat belts, I just scabbed up whatever I could find to get through inspection and changed them out after to the four point. They never even looked st it.