ToothMagician's Full Cage Country Goblin #493 - '06 SS LSJ Turbo donor

ToothMagician

Engine is in! Ran into a problem though...

Turbo piping is being blocked by the cross member. I know this is a pretty specific issue to ZZP turbos
but any ideas would be helpful. I'm thinking of trying to shove the rubber tube onto the turbo fitting farther?

Still not sure if this coolant fitting is supposed to go back on. I remember the videos saying to remove it, but I can't understand why.

Bonus pic of LSJ in the car

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Which driver's and passenger's sidemount holes are you using? The front-most holes in the mount plates must be used with the TC setup. If using the rearward holes there is reduced clearance for the charge pipes.

And the silicon pipe closest to the turbo has to be trimmed a bit to get the angles correct. This will help some too.

ToothMagician

Which driver's and passenger's sidemount holes are you using? The front-most holes in the mount plates must be used with the TC setup. If using the rearward holes there is reduced clearance for the charge pipes.

And the silicon pipe closest to the turbo has to be trimmed a bit to get the angles correct. This will help some too.
I'm using the F35 driver's side and rearmost mounts for the passenger side IAC with the videos.

You should be able to clock the turbo housing to gain clearance.
I ended up clocking the turbo, rotating the clamps and adjusting the tubing to clear the cross member. It rests gently on it now and one of the clamps rests on the ignition coil cover, but I think it'll work. I'll take a pic soon and post so y'all can see what I mean.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I’d usually ran between the motor and cross member with stock turbo. Causes a little deformation of the silicone tube, but not much. The stock DF stuff probably won’t be enough to connect it to the intercooler.

ToothMagician

I’d usually ran between the motor and cross member with stock turbo. Causes a little deformation of the silicone tube, but not much. The stock DF stuff probably won’t be enough to connect it to the intercooler.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do for an intercooler setup yet. The one that came with the cobalt is too wide to use for the goblin

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The Cobalt intercooler is an air-to-air intercooler meant to be mounted where there is uninterrupted 'clean' air form maximum efficiency - and it needs to be close to the engine. This typically means it is mounted up front near the radiator or mounted in a side pod where there is sufficient airflow.

DF supplies an air-to-water intercooler, which can be mounted right at the engine, and an external heat exchanger that get mounted remotely where there is 'clean' air.

You can use the donor intercooler, maybe mounting it above the engine in the turbulent airflow there with a fan or two. Or maybe at the rear, like Justin Reed which seems to work okay for his application - but note his intercooler is about 5X the core size of the donor intercooler.

Personally IMO I would find an air-to-water intercooler that meets your power requirements and use a remote mount heat exchanger (or two). This is as far as using a N/A intake manifold, the LSJ is a different setup and there are several builders who use the SC intake and laminova cores with a remote heat exchanger. There are lots of ways to get your turbo intercooler setup, just keep looking until you find what you like. :D

ToothMagician

The Cobalt intercooler is an air-to-air intercooler meant to be mounted where there is uninterrupted 'clean' air form maximum efficiency - and it needs to be close to the engine. This typically means it is mounted up front near the radiator or mounted in a side pod where there is sufficient airflow.

DF supplies an air-to-water intercooler, which can be mounted right at the engine, and an external heat exchanger that get mounted remotely where there is 'clean' air.

You can use the donor intercooler, maybe mounting it above the engine in the turbulent airflow there with a fan or two. Or maybe at the rear, like Justin Reed which seems to work okay for his application - but note his intercooler is about 5X the core size of the donor intercooler.

Personally IMO I would find an air-to-water intercooler that meets your power requirements and use a remote mount heat exchanger (or two). This is as far as using a N/A intake manifold, the LSJ is a different setup and there are several builders who use the SC intake and laminova cores with a remote heat exchanger. There are lots of ways to get your turbo intercooler setup, just keep looking until you find what you like. :D
That's where I'm slightly confused, the intercooler it had was coolant filled, with the dual pass laminova core intake and a second coolant resevoir in a closed system. Should I treat it like an air to air?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ok, you are looking at the SC setup. I will digress to one of our LSJ builders to provide you with the good direction on how to sort this out. :)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I’m talking about intercooler, not the heat exchange. The intercooler for the df stock turbo set up is mounted to the top of the intake manifold. Look through the helpful pictures thread. There are a lot of turbo pictures there.

ToothMagician

I’m talking about intercooler, not the heat exchange. The intercooler for the df stock turbo set up is mounted to the top of the intake manifold. Look through the helpful pictures thread. There are a lot of turbo pictures there.
I think I understand, I'll check out the pic thread and see if I can figure it out

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
If a turbo-swapped LSJ has the laminova cores in the intake, it uses the same intercooler setup as the standard LSJ with a supercharger.

If the intake was replaced during the turbo swap to a non-LSJ intake, you'll need DF's A2W unit from the turbo kit.

In either case, you can source your own parts and build whatever you want for an intercooler setup. However, from a Goblin kit perspective, the intake determines whether you need the Supercharged or Turbo intercooler parts.

ToothMagician

Engine is in. Some things are attached, and some mistakes were made. I used the passenger side radiator hose for the driver's side. New one is $15 so no big, but I still have to attach these before starting:

Intercooler tubing
Passenger side radiator hose
Front radiator
coolant reservoir
2nd overflow reservoir
fuel lines and fuel filter
Radiator wire
Grounds
Positive Battery cable
Mechanical boost gauge line

Here's what I've done:

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Only things required for a first start are:
Fuel lines
Battery cables ran
Grounds connected
Include the turn signal switch, EPS and BCM installed.

For a short fire, not a long run. Longer runs will need all the coolant stuff hooked up.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Only things required for a first start are:
Fuel lines
Battery cables ran
Grounds connected
Include the turn signal switch, EPS and BCM installed.

For a short fire, not a long run. Longer runs will need all the coolant stuff hooked up.
HaHa! See what he did there! "Short FIRE"? Like Have an extinguisher on hand during initial start up!? Fire don't PLAY! Don't get burned.
(See what I did there?)