ToothMagician's Full Cage Country Goblin #493 - '06 SS LSJ Turbo donor

ToothMagician

I live in a rural town that's pretty isolated. Got my donor locally for $4500. The description was:
Manual Cobalt SS
130,000 mi
Stage 1 ZZP Turbo kit
Option B coolant reservoir
Stage 3 heater exchange
3 in. catted down pipe
ACT Stage 2 sprung clutch
New throw out bearing
Replaced F35 transmission
80 lb injectors
ZZP tune

The Reality is:
This thing was clearly someone's project car, it's been ragged on a bit. The Clutch doesn't completely disengage, you have to pump it 2 or three times to build enough pressure to get into first sometimes. It will roll if you don't pump it when you stop in gear with the clutch to the floor. There's evidence of leaks from the trans, but it doesn't look fresh and there were no liquid marks under the car. The emergency flashers turn on when the engine turns over but stop after about 30 seconds. The STFT is -22.7. There are wire bundles and coolant piping going all over the place. The intake manifold is upside down, or backwards, and has some sized bolts that I cannot get off for the life of me.

This was the only SS manual in the area. Remember, I'm in an area where the closest interstate is over an hour way. So I bought it because it was right for my situation, I figure most of these problems can be sorted best if the drivetrain is out of the car by replacing the master cylinder, hazard button, breaking the bolts, drilling them tapping them out, and getting a street tune when it's all put together.

I'm videoing my whole build and putting it on YouTube, Mainly to share it with my dad who lives on the other coast, but also for fun, to look back on, and to make It easier to get diagnostic assistance in the future.

Here's the first video:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would recommend you get anything fixed you can that doesn’t require pulling the motor or trans. You don’t want to be questioning whether it’s your wiring harness rework is causing a problem or something else is wrong. There are enough issues that will pop up that you have caused as you rebuild.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
^^^^^ this, but it looks like you are too far along to do that now.

Since there are clutch issues, I would look over that very well before install. The line can be a huge pain to bleed, but don’t rule out a master or slave cyl (throw out bearing assembly) failure. Also, if he mixed and matched clutch pieces, there could easily be a tolerance issue.

As far as the running issues, you will have to use hptuners to get to the root cause and reprogram. Maybe someone has a base program for a lsj turbo swap you can use to start with. That one will be tricky unless you are experienced in programming modified vehicles.

Post pics along with the videos. With the camera set up just watching you work, we can’t see some details you might be overlooking and warn you about. A lot of us are here to help.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
My tune is in Ross' tune repository for an LSJ with the ZZP entry-level turbo swap. It may not be the tune you need but it could be helpful for comparison if needed.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My signature line (below) has my Build thread index, which has this list of these engine tuning resources:

Engine tuning resources:
https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sc-tune-guide-1-hptuners-goblin-basic-settings.2628/
https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sc-tune-guide-2-hptuners-using-templates.2649/
https://www.redlineforums.com/threads/maf-ve-tuning.40891/
Guide to scaling a tune for big injectors.
LSJ tune for 60lb injectors and 2.8" pulley (Ghostknife)
LSJ tune for 82lb injectors, 3.1" pulley, cams, E85 fuel. (ncgoblin)
LSJ tune for 82lb injectors, z57 turbo, BRFS using the 515 EFI fuelab regulator, ZZP LSJ entry level turbo swap kit (r3drckt)
LSJ tune for 62lb split spray injectors, Borg Warner S257 turbo (lechliss)
LSJ tune for 60lb injectors, TVS supercharger, MAF only. (SACTX)
LSJ tune for 80lb injectors, ZFR 6758 turbo, BRFS, Stage 2 turbo cams, gfab2 electronic boost controller (ccannx)
LSJ tune for 80lb Siemens injectors E85, with ZZP Entry Level Turbo swap kit, K04 turbo (Sluggonaut)
LSJ tune for 42lb injectors, 3" pulley, GM Stage 2 tune. (Robinjo)
LSJ tune for 82lb (FIC 870CC Bosch split injectors), 2.7 pulley, ZZP Stage 2 supercharger cams (Keckster)
LNF tune with 3 bar map sensors (ATMironov)

Goblinfanclub1234

I had a similar situation with my clapped out donor.

I can suggest that you do a compression test before you put too much effort into cleaning up and refurbishing the engine. I found some bad valves in mine after I was totally done o_O

Last edited:

ToothMagician

Thanks for all the support! I'll have to learn HP tuner from scratch, but it seems like the way to go to get everything running right. I'll probably use Sluggonaut's tune as a starting point. Shout out to Ross for keeping those resources organized and accessible.

I found a leak in the trans casing where it mates up with the engine:

There were a significant amount of metal shavings on the trans drain plug, as well as a roughly 1 mm x 4 mm sliver. (see video @ 7:52). So I'll be doing a trans rebuild with a new slave, and TOB. Contemplating an engine rebuild as well for peace of mind and longevity of the powertrain. I want to drain, scope, and compression test as suggested by Goblinfanclub123 at the very least.

Here is the used trans fluids:

Bellows on the struts are shot:

Calipers were painted poorly, so there's spray everywhere and the pads haven't been changed since, ask me how I know:

Review of problems/planned solutions:

1) -22.7 STFT - Plan: Tuning with HP tuner. Any recommended beginner resources are welcome. I'm hoping for a hands-on computer training software, possibly.

2) Clutch doesn't disengage - Plan: Rebuild trans with new TOB, and slave cylinder (master is working properly). Check for tolerances with clutch parts.

3) Hazards come on for ~30 sec when key is turned to accessory mode - Plan: Install new hazard switch and check all electrical relays.
How does these plans sound?

I tried to take Rttoys' suggestion of getting tighter shots for a better view. Let me know what y'all think. Comments and Critiques welcome.
Teardown Video 2:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I learned tuning on Youtube university: "gen 3 tuning hp tuners"
Goat Rope Garage
The LSJ has a generation 3 PCM, but those builders with the LNF will need to learn tuning on gen 4.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
LNF/E69ecm doesn't really share much with the typical GM gen 4 ECM. It's basically a one off, at least in how you tune it. No VE adjustment, no speed density. And E69 has things the typical gen4 doesn't have.

Goblinfanclub1234

maybe it could be something as simple as a missing or damaged clutch pipe nipple...it would be visibly leaking from this spot

ToothMagician

I would be ecstatic if it was a something as mundane as the clutch pipe nipple, thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely look into it. In the meantime, I had some extra time yesterday, so I continued tearing down the donor:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I happened to notice during your sub frame removal the "double sway bar link tabs" on the struts, that usually means those struts are aftermarket and have been replaced, OEM has only one tab so they are L&R. I highly recommend you invest in a basic Battery Impact and Drill set with charger and 2 batteries. A 3/8 and a 1/4 socket drive bit for the impact. Procure Extra 7mm, 10mm(1/4' drive) and 13mm(3/8' drive) sockets, you will lose/misplace one or more of each(temporarily), get a deep well and a couple of shallow/regular ones of each. Your current smaller type trolley jack is making my back hurt. (JK!) I'd advise you to invest in a 1.5 to 3 ton "low clearance"(front wheels about 1.5" dia) floor jack, your back will thank us both. It will have a wider stance that will help manage loads better. That has to be one of the cleanest interiors I've ever seen! After five units I'd say average penny count is at least .75 to a couple of bucks. (I've crawled through some cars that were real trash pits. I wish you were close to GA, I'd pay actual money for that carpet and the front seats. Message me direct.) BTW, it may not feel like it, but you're doing great! Really!:cool: ****DANGER **Mid-Engine madness ahead** For the record, I AM NOT BUILDING A GOBLIN! Goblins work fine! Wiring on 05/06 is my specialty as I am building my GOB-BALT out of an 06 coupe using some DF Goblin sourced parts. Feel free to ask me questions! I expect MY first GOB-BALT will be short of exactly "successful", so I bought a second 06 coupe, prepared to build it right from the knowledge I've gained on my first attempt. I'll Turbo it AFTER it "functions".;)

ToothMagician

ah.b.normal, I actually have a driver and drill set, IDK why I'm insisting on torturing myself with the ratchets. The jack is actually a rental from a tool library we have here in town. Figured I'd save a few bucks, but it's OLD as hell and barely rolls anymore, lol. I haven't counted the change yet, but there were a few quarters in there, maybe I'll start a retirement fund. I do feel kind of bad that the interior is so nice, and I'm just ripping it all out. Not only that, but I'm getting concerned about the amount of plastic trim and other junk that I'm accumulating, not really sure if it's worth trying to sell anything since it's all too cumbersome to ship. I was thinking of turning the driver's side seat into my desk chair and giving it away the rest if someone wants it locally, but I don't want to have it hanging around long.

Dropped the powertrain this weekend, was a bit of a pain but, it made it feel that much more real that this is happening. Used Sluggonaut's idea of ratchet straps for the missing passenger hoist point. It worked well, but there's some damage to the valve cover paint... no big deal, I hate the white anyway. The engine is perched on the end of the dolly, but is stable for now. I'm debating on sending it out for a clean and rebuild along with the trans. The previous owner has evap and coolant lines spliced in everywhere, and I like the idea of having a fresh powertrain to drop into the ol' Gobbo.

Here's Video 4, Let me know if you spot anything out of the ordinary. Also, this one features my pup Grizzly:

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Used Sluggonaut's idea of ratchet straps for the missing passenger hoist point. It worked well, but there's some damage to the valve cover paint... no big deal, I hate the white anyway.
Just another reason to have it powder coated to match the frame.

I had people travel 6 hours to buy some of my parts. I think it was for the rear bumper, trunk/wing, and side skirts.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
ah.b.normal, I actually have a driver and drill set, IDK why I'm insisting on torturing myself with the ratchets. The jack is actually a rental from a tool library we have here in town. Figured I'd save a few bucks, but it's OLD as hell and barely rolls anymore, lol. I haven't counted the change yet, but there were a few quarters in there, maybe I'll start a retirement fund. I do feel kind of bad that the interior is so nice, and I'm just ripping it all out. Not only that, but I'm getting concerned about the amount of plastic trim and other junk that I'm accumulating, not really sure if it's worth trying to sell anything since it's all too cumbersome to ship. I was thinking of turning the driver's side seat into my desk chair and giving it away the rest if someone wants it locally, but I don't want to have it hanging around long.

Dropped the powertrain this weekend, was a bit of a pain but, it made it feel that much more real that this is happening. Used Sluggonaut's idea of ratchet straps for the missing passenger hoist point. It worked well, but there's some damage to the valve cover paint... no big deal, I hate the white anyway. The engine is perched on the end of the dolly, but is stable for now. I'm debating on sending it out for a clean and rebuild along with the trans. The previous owner has evap and coolant lines spliced in everywhere, and I like the idea of having a fresh powertrain to drop into the ol' Gobbo.

Here's Video 4, Let me know if you spot anything out of the ordinary. Also, this one features my pup Grizzly:
Hey, keep on using what you've got. You're doing fine as far as I can tell! I can tell you for a fact that you will be using a floor jack more in your future if you have a Goblin. Some investments are really worth it. A Tool Library? I've gotta say you're lucky on that point. Though the big auto part stores have started renting seldom used tools. You talk about the interstate and shipping like you're in Alaska. It just makes me wonder where in the world you are? I don't have to worry about folks knowing where I live, I'm never home. (BTW Griz looks like a big help! Sometimes just having moral support is enough!) Just now I am in Ft. Worth, TX helping a Goblin owner finish his car, He took a low speed test ride/first drive on Friday. I've had a ton of fun helping him out. I was in his area anyway helping my son and daughter in law welcome grand son #2, And taking grand son #1 out on adventures like the lake and a kid museum. I'm enjoying watching! Keep up the good work, you'll get there!

ToothMagician

I ordered my kit today to be delivered in stages:
SC kit with no SC components
Full cage w/ full door bars
Fiberglass hood
Side panels
Normal windscreen
Wing mount set
Side mirrors
License plate mounting kit
Button panel
Boost gauge mount
FX1 seats in standard position
Anodized shifter
Rear Coilover kit
Steering rack limiter
Footwell cover
Brake portioning valve
Quick release steering hub

Does anyone have an estimate for delivery time, last I heard was 6 months, but that thread was old. Trying to gauge how long I have with the engine before the chassis comes. I also need to get the donor hauled off soon because I don't have much space left in the garage.

ah.b.normal, thanks for the encouragement. You're right, Griz does most of the work, I just hold the flashlight. The tool library is nice, but the inventory is all from donations, so it's pretty limited as far as car stuff. I do need to get a jack, though. Haha we're in rural Oregon, in the mountains.

Here's the removal of the main wiring harness:

ToothMagician

Ok, so it's official! I order my kit, #493:

Donor: F35 LSD SS LSJ with Stage 1 ZZP Turbo Kit
Trim: Supercharge Kit With No Supercharger or Turbo Components
Full Cage
Full Door Bars
Hood
Standard Windscreen
Footwell Cover
Aluminum Sides
Wing Mount Kit
Side Mirrors
Button Panels
Boost Gauge Mount
FX1 Seats
Anodized Shifter
Rear Coilovers
Steering Rack Limiter

I plan to get different head, tail lights, plate mounting kit, quick release hub and wheel.

Gonna try and drop the gas tank tomorrow or Sunday, be done with the donor, and move on to the terrifying prospect of reworking the wiring harness. Wish me luck

Got the dash torn down: