Windshield Development

Discussion in 'DF Kit Car News' started by Lonny, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Lonny

Lonny Administrator Staff Member

Windshield side view.JPG Winshield rev 1 on car.JPG
    We are working on a safety glass windshields and frames for the Goblin.

The windshield blank comes from a 2000 Chevy Impala. We have built a fixture that supports and locates the glass in a water jet cutting machine. Once the glass is cut to size we will use windshield adhesive to mount it to the two supports.

We were able to keep the original mirror mount that GM uses on the Impala. This will allow us to use a large selection of mirrors from different types of GM vehicles.

The windshield is curved which will give it more strength.

The windshield and side supports are spaced a half of inch off of the nose to allow for a formed rubber seal.

Chris Eggert and JSATX like this.
  2. JSATX

JSATX Well-Known Member

Awesome!! Will it fit the city or is this design just for track frame?

3. Lonny

Lonny Administrator Staff Member

It will fit both city and track, standard and extended.

4. PG5

PG5 Active Member

Have y'all made any progress on the new design? It looks really cool.

5. EcoRich

EcoRich Member

This is wonderful news for sure.

6. TheNuker

TheNuker Well-Known Member

How is this coming along? Would like to go this way instead of the plexi, But if it is a long ways off I'll go for the plexi for now.

Nuker-

7. BAR-AIR

BAR-AIR Well-Known Member

Adam,
    Have you been able to make up any of the side brackets for your new windshield design. I know that you where having issues with the waterjet cutting of the safety glass. I wouldn't mind trying the brackets with lexan on Nathan's car. We could still do the curve without the glass issues. The other thought we had is that if you where to use a similar aluminum cover plate that you are using on the acrylic windscreen between the two new windshield brackets to space the gap between the glass and the hood you could really simplify the cut on the bottom of the glass. If the three parts could be connected (bolted,welded) together it would also really stiffen up the assembly. The only down fall would be a little less visibility where the hood dips on the sides. On the up side, glass should have just a simple radius on the bottom because the aluminum would act as the spacer with rubber going to the hood. And possibly you may also be able to mount the wipers in the aluminum also.
    THX

TheNuker likes this.
  8. JSATX

JSATX Well-Known Member

I agree with Bar even if we can't get the glass I'd definitely be interested In the side supports

9. TheNuker

TheNuker Well-Known Member

How is this new windshield coming along? I should have plates in about 2 weeks and if I can get the new one instead of the plexi I'm game!

Nuker-

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Member

Any update on this or progress? Prototype pictures?

Looking forward to this.

Interested more so in the brackets

11. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see a curved glass windshield framework that could attach directly to the track frame A-pillars, rather than free-standing windshield supports. Maybe a single solution that works for both city and track frames?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    TCR801 and SliderR1 like this.
  12. SliderR1

SliderR1 Active Member

ditto what David said... I'd be interested in that as well.

Silverback likes this.
  13. BAR-AIR

BAR-AIR Well-Known Member

Realistically I would be really surprised to see any additional add ons to the basic kit. The guys over a DFKITCAR are working at maximum speed just to get the basic kits out in a timely manner (just now getting most of the last pieces for kit #10)..... So as frustrated as we are to get the parts, they are just as frustrated about hearing about it.
    With that being said, if you are going to need or want additions to your finished Goblin be ready to fabricate them on your own. I just don't see them getting to them anytime in the near future. (Not trying to bash the guys but we have been asking about the same parts since the very beginning).