Recent content by Chubbs

1. C

Is there a difference??

I remember a couple of potential engine swaps on here, but I don't think any have actually worked (except the Tesla Goblin, if that counts). What engine are you swapping to? I'm sure it can be done, but depending on what you want, the Ecotec is probably still the most cost effective and...
  2. C

Weight / Balance

Heres mine with me in it, and one empty. It handles fine, but is still a little tail happy. I'm hoping staggered tires will help.
  3. C

Weight / Balance

Oh, and as for your comment about the rear wing, I agree it has limited effect behind a full windshield. I put a wing on my car because I liked the look. I always thought the car looked a little naked without it. I am currently constructing a carbon wing that's wide enough to extend over the...
  4. C

Weight / Balance

I don't know if I quite understand....you're worried that front will be too light? But you've also removed the heaviest thing up there (the battery), and put it behind the seat? Or are you trying to lighten the front end further? If i understand your concern (front too light), it seems your...
  5. C

New Member Introduction

I'd drive the square setup first as well. But, my answer ended up being a staggered setup. I went 225s in front and 255s in the rear. With the square setup, the car oversteered absolutely everywhere, and was tough to drive. I went staggered last year. I unfortunately haven't been able to...
  6. C

New potential Goblin owner

I find the reversal on the NC fascinating. It was hated as the fattest Miata for so long....and now it's really turned out to be one of the favorites. I think it fits larger people better, and it was always my favorite for that reason alone (I'm not even huge....6'1" 210lbs). I'm an engineer...
  7. C

New potential Goblin owner

I'll probably make some enemies here, but here's my honest assessment. I have been tracking and Autocrossing my Goblin (SS, supercharged) for a couple years now. At an autocross, it is a real blast. on a big track, it is downright scary. Since it's mid-engined, lift-off-oversteer is a real...
  8. C

Donors

Given the budget nature of the build, I would be shopping for a base model cobalt....not the SS. Base models can be had for peanuts all day long. The engine can be built later for a reasonable price to exceed the power level of a stock SS. Given the price increase of the SS over the last few...
  9. C

Sneak Peek - Goblin V2

I'll defend this, as ridiculous as it seems. As an owner of a pacifica minivan, that pentastar is a ripper. 285hp, and it all comes online at 4000rpm. It's not the motor I would have selected for a minivan. It really behaves more like a sportscar engine. Transmission availability is a...
  10. C

Ian's 06 SS/SC Extended Track/City/Drag/Motocross/Whatever Goblin #359

Regarding the bolts, I did a terrible job labeling mine, and it wasn't that big of an issue. I basically threw every bolt that I had inside a box. When I needed a bolt, I went to the box. Does this bolt fit? Yes. Good, it goes right here then. As a general rule, I found it pretty difficult to...
  11. C

Manual Shifter Upgrade

You can do what you want, but I can't imagine the mess that cutting is going to make inside your car. The steel isn't thick, but it's not exactly sheet metal either. It's going to make some metal mess. Just pull the seats, and you can worm the tunnel cap out with a little perseverance. I think...
  12. C

Manual Shifter Upgrade

Just the cover. The tunnel is an integral part to the chassis and can't be removed.
  13. C

Manual Shifter Upgrade

Including painting the new parts, you could probably do it in a weekend. The rivets take a few seconds apiece to drill out, they are aluminum and very soft. The bigger issue is removing the old tunnel cap, which is very long, and unwieldy to thread out of the now built goblin. I honestly don't...
  14. C

Add-on brake proportioning valve

Close, but I think you have the way the valve works backwards. Rotating the knob clockwise (right) increases flow (more brakes) to whatever brake you have the valve applied to. Counterclockwise (left) decreases flow (less brakes). It is opposite of any valve you've ever tried before. It's not...
  15. C

Dual Heat Exchangers

I put mine behind the passenger seat (poor photo, but it's visible there). It doesn't work well. With the stock hx up front, iat temps would get to about 150f. It heat soaked with the radiator coolant temp as the heat from the radiator got to it. After adding the second hx in the rear iat...