Seb's Goblin #454 (2008 SS/TC donor) - Registered

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
My guess is that you will "yield" it somewhere. 3000lbs will be like trying to pull a stuck vehicle from the mud (sort of my goto thought when deciding whether something is strong enough) and I would expect that to bend if using it to pull with.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Impact stop at 30 mph - with 1 foot of impact compression - yields about 30gs (more or less and based on a 'non-stretch' retaining system). At 60 mph - with 1 foot of impact compression - yields about 120gs (these are instantaneous gs that last less than 0.1 sec). If you multiply your weight by the g-force will yield the estimated impact force that can be experienced by the human body. So a 200lb person will have 6000 lb of force at 30 mph and 24,000 lb at 60 mph. Yep, that's correct - the laws of motion play into this where doubling the speed quadruples the kinetic force.

Studies have shown that a human can survive a 100g instantaneous impact, most times, and survive. This number is dependent upon a lot of factors of the impact and the force contact made play heavily into the amount of force that is considered survivable. Keep in mind all of this discussion is for a single impact 'point' - which in the case of a vehicle would be a single seatbelt strap (with the stock donor seatbelts). The impact force is spread over the contact face of the seatbelt strap (lets 2X18 inches or 36 sq.in) so the 'felt' impact is lessened (still hurts at best). Since we typically use harnesses in our Goblins with two straps, the force is split over the two impact 'points' (for most situations) which helps make a greater impact force more survivable (within reason).

So @Gtstorey is correct that the 1/8 inch brackets - assuming 36,000 psi yield strength - will bend for certain and most likely yield at the welds (since they typically have roughly 1/2 the yield strength) and the mount will separate. Having thicker mounting points, at least 1/4 inch plate, are much more robust and can provide better impact safety based on the yield strength, configuration, and how good the welds are.

Just stuff to think about - we all want to be safe and arrive back home in one piece! :D

Last edited:

mike_sno

Goblin Guru
Interesting topic. My seat belts are a bit to long and I was wondering if there is a way to wrap them directly around the tube. Wouldn't this solve your issue too?

Sebnuts

Made a little progress over the past few weeks.
Splitter, footwell cover and front hoop installed. New seats are in, but the driver side needs to come back out because the slides aren't working right.
PXL_20240316_203613893.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Slider alignment, not perfectly parallel if sliders are too stiff. Loosen mounting bolts on both sides front and back, except one corner leave tight(ish). Pull (push) the seat to that corner, tighten the opposite side bolt. Push (pull) the seat into the other direction of travel and tighten the other bolts - making sure all the bolts on all corners are now tight. The seat should now have parallel sliders. :D

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I’m glad he did it, but wish he did it sooner, or even keep it going. 1/4” will still be fine, especially with those struts.

RobC76

Moving on to the front, I put the new plasma table to work and made a drill template to accurately locate the new control arm and coilover mount points.
View attachment 40264

Borrowed this beast of a mag drill from work. Heavy SOB but made the drilling easy once I got it in position.
View attachment 40265

Just need to prep the holes a little with a flap disk and we'll be ready to weld in the new mount tubes.
View attachment 40266View attachment 40267

I needed to relocate the coilover mount point on lower control arm too. For this I plasma cut some brackets and used another 3D printed fixture to make sure everything was in the correct position:
View attachment 40268
The new bracket also has a mount point for the sway bar.

Next up on the list is front sway bar mounts. This is the design I have currently. I'm not in love with it but it's the best I've come up with so far. I'll continue to noodle on it this week, but I'll probably start cutting parts and see what it looks like mocked up this weekend.
View attachment 40269View attachment 40270
Do you still have this plate laying around. Wondered you would lend it to me if I PayPal you for shipping and ship it back? I have a magnetic broach / drill on hand.
Thanks