Radiator Petcock

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Does anyone recently still have their box from the radiator? If so, could you tell me the manufacturer and part number? I'm trying to procure a replacement petcock for my radiator and it's not going well.

Most of them seem to be M14-20.

Jmar1622

Does anyone recently still have their box from the radiator? If so, could you tell me the manufacturer and part number? I'm trying to procure a replacement petcock for my radiator and it's not going well.

1/4 npt fitting from an auto parts store. I didn't have luck getting mine to seal up. I ended up tapping it with a 1/2 x 20 and running a bolt with a rubber gasket into it.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
So.... we had a returned radiator at our production facility and they let me have the drain plug as they didn't need for their investigation(s). It measures to be 14-NPT so I'm going to try this one. If it works I'm definitely take more of them off the units that get returned or damaged.

Edit: The one from work didn't work so I'm back to waiting for the one SD posted above. I have rigged my old one to temporarily work, but I do not trust it for very long.

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru

My radiator was marketed as a replacement for the 5th & 6th generation Honda Civic. My petcock leaked a little bit this past summer; turns out the o-ring had dried out and broken. Replaced the o-ring and no more leaks.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
It’s not the o-ring, unfortunately. I can see on the threads where it fouled. I have a metal one coming and just dealing with the slight drip for now.

Last edited:

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I have an extra radiator that I can rob the petcock out of. My original rad they never finished welding the side tank so df sent me a replacement

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
My radiator was marketed as a replacement for the 5th & 6th generation Honda Civic. My petcock leaked a little bit this past summer; turns out the o-ring had dried out and broken. Replaced the o-ring and no more leaks.
I had the same issue

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I may hit you up if the replacement unit I bought doesn't work out. Since it's a slow drip and the driving season is all but closed in North Alabama, I'm not in too much of a hurry. It seems my Conti Extreme's do not like the 45 oF and below weather we have been getting lately. Loss of grip yesterday was very much noticed.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Alternative to a plug or petcock for the radiator lower drain hole:
20221118_193715.jpg

1/4 NPT thermostat switch (on at 210, off at 190) - used for my auxiliary heat exchanger fan in my build. Just made sense to kill two birds with one stone: caps off the hole that will likely never be used in the radiator and avoids having to put a sensor adapter into the auxiliary HE coolant circuit - since it uses the engine coolant.

Tapped out the 1/4 NPT hole a little larger so the thermostat sits further into the hole - and made sure threads were clean and correct.

ccgillett

Dusting off this thread, a lot of parts for my car have been sitting for years. I filled the cooling system for the first time yesterday and have a few drips per hour coming from the petcock. I'm assuming the o-ring or gasket is dried out. Is that a standard part I can buy anywhere, or do I need to order a specific part number?

I was hoping any gasket or o-ring would have swelled up after sitting for a couple days, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
It’s probably a pipe thread so you might be able to replace with a plug. Even if it’s metric you can still plug it.
That's what I ended up doing. It was a bolt in 1/4-NPT one that ultimately fixed my issue. I'm not sure where to get one, I ended up ordering mine off the inter-web.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I may have been looking in the wrong section then. I was looking in nuts/bolts. Looks like I should have gone to the pipes section.