Tow-Rig - 2003 Silverado 1500HD - Quadrasteer

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Starting a separate post as to not clog up my build thread with more truck stuff.

This is my new (to me) 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD. 6.0L, 4L80E, and (working) quadrasteer! Its from Texas so its mostly rust free. Looking forward to modifying this to eventually make it my DD and replace my 2019 Tacoma.

ToDo List:
  • Headlights, taillights, etc
  • Sound system
    • Add bluetooth to existing stock radio
    • Add my old set of subs that are just lying around because they wouldn't fit in the Taco
  • Fix cracked dash (yay Texas heat) with a skin
  • Fix sticky locks
  • Take a look at million butt splice jobby they did on the throttle body. Its occasionally throwing me an ENGINE POWER REDUCED with a TPS code. Likely a crappy connection
  • Lower the rear a bit so its more level (BelleTech lowering shackle)
  • Cheap exhaust to fix the header leak, thinking Speed Engineering
  • Truck Norris Cam + Value Springs
  • Tune for cam
  • Remote electric exhaust cutout for cam
  • Shock for slow open tailgate (one of the few things newer trucks got right!)
  • Tires! current ones are mismatched and nearly bald. I might end up going for two sets and using these stockers as snow tires. All depends on what's available for 16" rims
Maybe List:
  • NV4500 Manual swap
  • SS Front Bumper Cover
  • Roll pan? Probably a bad idea for towing, but I love the look
  • Tonneau cover
  • Backup camera
  • Locking tailgate

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Welp, fingers cross oil pressure is ACTUALLY good. The sensor is bad. Its pegged max even engine off. I thought it might just be high until warm, but didnt notice it was max when not running. Looked at it in HPTuners and its reading 130psi (gauge goes to 80) no matter what. New sending unit on the way. Went with GM because I hear sensors you don't really want to cheap out on

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
To add to your list.

H2 wheels with 285’s. Direct fit and the center cap will adapt.
’06 tow mirrors.
IMG_5799.jpeg
IMG_5808.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Oh. And don’t lower the rear, crank up the front. The t bars are weak from age, turn the bolt on the dog bone to bring the front up to level.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Idk, the wheel gap really bugs me. I'm never going to offroad it since its 2WD, so I think I'm going to lower the rear a little and see how it does. I don't want to slam it, but being lower and level-ish will be good enough for my purposes

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I thought this a tow rig. Put a trailer on it and it will be level, level without a trailer will be nose up with a trailer.

Did people worry about wheel gap before car shows on tv or internet? I never heard anyone say anything about that before then.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
With lowering the rear, changing caster in the rear steer system is a possibility to keep in mind.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I thought this a tow rig. Put a trailer on it and it will be level, level without a trailer will be nose up with a trailer.

Did people worry about wheel gap before car shows on tv or internet? I never heard anyone say anything about that before then.
It might be, but I haven't tried yet. I planned on leaving it with a little rake, but not the 4" of rake it currently has.

With lowering the rear, changing caster in the rear steer system is a possibility to keep in mind.
Yeah, I'm aware it could change angles. I'll pay attention when doing it. The drop is adjustable 1"-3" so I can play around with it a bit.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
The oil pressure sensor was reading max all the time. Replaced with new GM sensor. Man is the worst job I've ever had to do. What a pain. Picture is of a 6" extension. ALLLLL the way at the back, under the firewall overhang. Running just under 40psi at cold idle though, so its at least acceptable.

signal-2024-04-28-19-06-31-741.jpg

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Theres a little tab from the casting of the intake manifold that digs inton your wrist when reaching back too. Well, was. Sawzall took care of that issue after I started bleeding lol

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The “HD“ models are a little easier. The cab is off the frame/engine a bit more than the 1500/2500.