Goblin Front Splitter Group buy

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I don't want to super derail this conversation, but I need input. Has anyone accomplished the hinge hood + the splitter? I cut this out of foam on my CNC and couldn't get it to open without removing a large chunk from it (slid forward for pic)

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I don't want to super derail this conversation, but I need input. Has anyone accomplished the hinge hood + the splitter? I cut this out of foam on my CNC and couldn't get it to open without removing a large chunk from it (slid forward for pic)
Don't know the geometry of a simple hinge will allow for a tilt forward if the rotating point is not right at the very front of the nose. Using the dzus plate puts the hinge point 2-3 inches aft and, as you illustrate, the nose moves lower than the top of the splitter.

A compound hinge, that operates like the donor hinges (hood or trunk), would be needed to move the hood nose up and forward to clear the splitter. This is something that I originally looked at with the Cobalt hinges mounted to the sides of the radiator support frame. This is just one option, I'm sure there are other ways to make this work. :)

devianteng

When we say intercooler, we're talking about the horizontally mounted heat exchanger, right? And you have a model that retains an opening for air to be pulled up from the bottom?

If so, I want one! Put me on the list!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
When we say intercooler, we're talking about the horizontally mounted heat exchanger, right? And you have a model that retains an opening for air to be pulled up from the bottom?

If so, I want one! Put me on the list!
Correct. Intercooler means a cutout to let air still escape. Yes it’s somewhat counterintuitive but it is what it is. Without intercooler is uncut flat and smooth.
As I have said befor, a backwards cheap “hood scoop” will help keep the flat bottom but still let air out for the intercooler.
IMG_1923.jpeg
IMG_1922.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If you are running a front intercooler, it’s not a bad idea to use a pusher fan, instead of puller. This way the airflow can go from main rad to ic rad to out the bottom. Like I said a little counterproductive trying to create a low pressure under the car, but it’ll give you the best results overall.

WA08TC

How is this compared to a 48" front wing down force wise in keeping the front end planted and somewhat easier to maintain at highway speeds?

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I put it in the Michigan builders. I’m in for one with an intercooler. Can you send the cut out piece in case I change inner cooler location. Then I can have it welded back in

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
How is this compared to a 48" front wing down force wise in keeping the front end planted and somewhat easier to maintain at highway speeds?
Too many factors at play to give exact numbers for a wing versus a splitter. Are you buying one of these:
48" Black Single Deck Wing Spoiler Universal F1 | eBay
Or one of these (and cutting it down):
70" Car Racing Rear Wing Airfoil Spoiler Race NASA SCCA Gridlife Time Attack TT | eBay
Big difference between the two. The wing logic link here does have some downforce information in it, but it would have to be adjusted for the wing length, angle, etc. and the location of the mount. If your just pure racing, then a setup like @Justinreed7 will probably have the most downforce possible for a Goblin. A splitter has been proven to help reduce front end lift, but I have not seen any numbers posted here on the forum.

devianteng

If you are running a front intercooler, it’s not a bad idea to use a pusher fan, instead of puller. This way the airflow can go from main rad to ic rad to out the bottom. Like I said a little counterproductive trying to create a low pressure under the car, but it’ll give you the best results overall.
This is something on my list, but I've not gotten around to it yet. For now, with my m62 setup, I'm running the default DF setup (h/e with fan on top pulling air through the h/e). I've thought about the NACA ducts and removing the fan, I've thought about a pusher fan, I thought about eliminating the front h/e and going with a rear mount. I've also thought about a turbo swap, and if I did that would I want to do a2a or keep the a2w. Also on turbo, do I keep the LSJ intake and run BOTH the a2a and a2w, or do I do something different. Going for small turbo for wider powerband, or big turbo for big peak power. So many thoughts, but I've not yet stopped to think what my long term power goals are (autocross car, so small turbo would be most likely if I ditch the blower all together -- or twincharge like @Rauq because cool factor).

Anyway, I definitely want one with the intercooler cutout.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Although I have never installed a wing on the front of my goblin, I would think a wing would be superior in every way on downforce. The possibilities are endless.

The beauty of the splitter are that it’s more compact and stylish, but still works. Depending on your application and desired looks will determine what route you will want to take. I would love for someone to experiment with a wing that also covers the front bottom, so you get the best of both worlds.

Looking back at emails for time stamps, I have used this splitter for 2 years now :eek: times fun when you are having flies. It’s plenty stable at highway speeds and even on the track, runs up over 100 are plenty stable. You can go more aggressive and I would love for others to experiment. The sky is the limit, but this is just where I stopped with my experiments because it works well for what it is. Others can chime in on their experience with it. There’s about 20 of them out there.

WA08TC

Good info, I'll try out the splitter and see how it goes. Considering this is just going to be a fun spring/summer car. Put me down for one solid bottom.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Good info, I'll try out the splitter and see how it goes. Considering this is just going to be a fun spring/summer car. Put me down for one solid bottom.
Here’s where it all started. SACTX made the original splitter for us (him and I) out of alumilite. I took it further getting it made out of aluminum plate with the bends. There were a few prototypes in the development and have settled where we are now. It’s amazing how a little tweaks here and there change the characteristics of the car so easily. You can easily go further with this, but where it sits now, is a good spot.

there’s also a continuation here

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I wish there was a group buy when I did mine. You guys are so lucky that this is being offered now. My company ended up doing a great job but it was a bit of leg work to find a place to handle it. I ended up going 1/4" as these are and have no regerts.

Although I have never installed a wing on the front of my goblin, I would think a wing would be superior in every way on downforce. The possibilities are endless.

The beauty of the splitter are that it’s more compact and stylish, but still works. Depending on your application and desired looks will determine what route you will want to take. I would love for someone to experiment with a wing that also covers the front bottom, so you get the best of both worlds.

Looking back at emails for time stamps, I have used this splitter for 2 years now :eek: times fun when you are having flies. It’s plenty stable at highway speeds and even on the track, runs up over 100 are plenty stable. You can go more aggressive and I would love for others to experiment. The sky is the limit, but this is just where I stopped with my experiments because it works well for what it is. Others can chime in on their experience with it. There’s about 20 of them out there.
I have the same sentiment as @Rttoys here. I think the front wing is much more functional but I do not like the look of it. That is a personal preference only. If you wan the maximum amount of adjustability and potential downforce, then go with a front wing of some sort. If you want something (in my opinion) that looks better and still gets the job done, this is the route to go.
I've not ventured over 100mph much with my car but the few times I have, it wasn't the front end that gave me concern but rather alignment. Before putting on this splitter, 50-ish mph would start to dance a little bit and 70 was not exactly the most fun. You could just feel that the front end was light and needed to be pulled down by something. After, you can feel the effects at about 35-40 mph and 85 cruising is just that, cruising.

talon2006

Looks like there are more of these I am going to make then I expected.

Wanted to bring up one fitment issue I know of, and at the rear spoilers the inside corner can rub on the hood. I am trimming this corner a little bit but it might need some more cut once you get it.

I think the best way to get this rolling is to make a link and let you order. I am going away to an event end of this month, and need to get everything in line for that event. I am going to leave the orders open till Feb 29. Once they are closed I will get a count and start production. I am going to stay it is going to take 2-4 weeks to get all of these made and shipped. This should give me wiggle room incase something happens.

One thing I have seen - Combined shipping. Due to the size and weight we really can't combine the shipping. Once we go past the magical 50 pounds in weight we get hit with a pretty big fee for oversized package, so they would need to be in separate boxes anyways. I think there might be a small discount for sending multiple packages to the same address, but it's only a few bucks. I appreciate everyone trying to save us a few bucks, but its going to be much easier from a order tracking standpoint to just treat each of these as a individual order when it comes to shipping and payment. If you do want yours shipped to the same place as someone else just use that address as the shipping address.

I will get the order link posted as soon as my wife gets it done!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
@talon2006, thanks for the updated information. We all pretty much get the issue with the shipping, many of us have been there lately and it just isn't cheap many times. From me personally, do what works best for you to make it as economical as possible - I know you are not in this to make big $$, but you also should not be losing any money to do this for our Goblin family. It is really appreciated that you have taken this on, it will definitely help many of us out rather than try to do this on our own. Thank you! :)