GOTW - 3-1-24 #270 Joe Wilhelmi

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
This week's Goblin of the Week was built during the height of the pandemic. Joe hasn't stopped tinkering since then and has recently installed a supercharger on the 2.4 liter automatic donor equipment.

What is your name?
Joe Wilhelmi

Where are you located?
Houston, Texas

What is your forum screen name?
@Joebob

Build log on forum:
Joebobs build log SS/NA Auto Extended City frame #270

What is your chassis number?

When did you buy your Goblin?

Tell us a little about yourself.
Subsea oilfield equipment design engineer who loves cars, tinkering, and solving problems.

How did you become interested in cars?
I was always fascinated by machines, gears, motors, and mechanics. The way I see it. Cars are like art that also move. Kinetic sculptures that affect all your senses.

What drew you to the Goblin?
I like the wrenching and fixing problems or building up things. Paint and bodywork always scared me as labor intensive, expensive and easy to mess up. So here is a car you can build that skips all the paint and bodywork if you so desire. I have had the car for almost 3 years now. I have welded, bolted, riveted on it but still have not painted the hood yet.

How does the Goblin fit into your lifestyle? (daily driver, weekend warrior, both)
fair weather work commuter, car show cruiser

Tell us about your build. (who did you build it with? where did you build it?)
This was my pandemic sanity build that my two kids helped get me started with the donor disassembly and initial goblin assembly. It was built in my garage and used a 2.4L Automatic transmission donor as I wanted my wife to be able to drive as well. My original plan was to use as much as the donor as possible to keep initial costs low and then incrementally upgrade to keep the project active. I also listed the donor parts for sale and if made good money, would start the upgrade process sooner. Turned out that I sold the brakes, suspension, seats, seatbelts, wheels and tires, etc very fast and so I was able to have a spec'ed out goblin from the beginning.

What, if anything, have you modified on your Goblin that sets it apart from others?
One of the first ideas I had after reading the forums was wind and debris protection as I was looking for a road version of the car. I welded tabs to the frame prior to powdercoating that allowed me to attach full height tinted polycarbonate side panels to the chassis. a bit more body without the dreaded paint and bodywork. Front and rear flat panel flooring, radiator heat shielding, increased windshield angle, bolt on harness bar, custom welded seal mounts, Custom California rated catted exhaust and most recently retrofitted a supercharger and heat exchanger to the engine.

Do you have any memorable road trips, races or events you've attended in your Goblin?
I have gone to several car shows and was asked to park in the exotic and race car section at the front next to the $1Mil+ cars

Is there a particular aspect of the Goblin—be it the design, performance, or community—that you appreciate the most?
I like the exposed nature of the mechanics from the steering to the wheels to the suspension. The community was what set the experience apart from the other options. The collaboration, passion and the shared experiences really make this a great group to be involved in.

Finally, do you have any future plans for your Goblin—any upcoming modifications, trips, or events?
My plan is to continue to learn and fine tune the engine programming with the new supercharger and continue to enjoy the driving dynamics of this unique vehicle.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
“Do you have any memorable road trips, races or events you've attended in your Goblin?
I have gone to several car shows and was asked to park in the exotic and race car section at the front next to the $1Mil+ cars”

That was the most wild thing going to the exotic C&C with you, where they turn around “normal” lambo’s and Ferrari’s then looked at us and said, “hey, park right there”. :p Even at the F1 watch party at Aston Martin, we were parked front and center. :cool:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Joe has two extremes in cruising with this Goblin and his gangster Lincoln! Everything is so dang clean! :)