Justin Reed Racing DF Goblin

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Do you get grief because the car is so different than a typical production car or is everyone pretty cool about it?

When I first saw your winning run, I was thinking that the turbo spooling up wasn't making anything easier on you with kicking the rear out. I wonder if the supercharger or a very small turbo would help a lot on that track.

Very impressive run and set up sheet.

devianteng

Do you get grief because the car is so different than a typical production car or is everyone pretty cool about it?
Not to speak for Justin, but I saw other video from the event and saw crosskarts, rally trucks, and even a F1 car. I’d like to think they different have classes for these events?

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast

When I first saw your winning run, I was thinking that the turbo spooling up wasn't making anything easier on you with kicking the rear out. I wonder if the supercharger or a very small turbo would help a lot on that track.

Very impressive run and set up sheet.
No grief, I’m running with formulas and crosskarts in a Special Open class. Pretty much run what ya brung. As far as the turbo size, yes I’m currently in the works of going to a different more efficient turbo rn. Just awaiting pricing

Rauq

Goblin Guru
No grief, I’m running with formulas and crosskarts in a Special Open class. Pretty much run what ya brung. As far as the turbo size, yes I’m currently in the works of going to a different more efficient turbo rn. Just awaiting pricing
You're welcome to try this out once I get it sorted: http://instagr.am/p/CrkF3doIt7C/
Could hit you up on a lunch break even. Going to start street tuning next week.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
You've probably considered this but if you are running race gas for these events you should be able to push timing/demand mid-range and cut that spool time considerably.

Do you have different tunes for different events or same tune for generally everything just changing boost level?

Last edited:

Justinreed7

You've probably considered this but if you are running race gas for these events you should be able to push timing/demand mid-range and cut that spool time considerably.

Do you have different tunes for different events or same tune for generally everything just changing boost level?
I run e85 all the time unless I’m road tripping to the dragon. So it’s pretty much stays on the race tune. The tune is based off of a boost reference fuel pressure system. So fuel ramps up with whatever boost you throw at it

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Pfft, that was just a leisurely Sunday drive for you. :rolleyes::D See you spent most of the course in 4th gear - guessing your speed was up there in pucker territory? You had only one discernable bobble not too far from the finish line - what an incredible run!

What tune were you running? Guessing it was pulled back somewhat from max for your control and sanity? Some of those bumps wouldn't have been as forgiving if you spun the tires if pushing max HP, I'm guessing.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
See you spent most of the course in 4th gear - guessing your speed was up there in pucker territory?
I know right...Go-Pro footage really does not capture what I imagine was highly intense moment on the dragon. Its been about 10 years since I drove the dragon and 80mph is unimaginable. Am I reading @Justinreed7 build spec correctly and the boost control is wastegate spring only without a controller? If so that is even more impressive. I am new to the cortex boost controller but I highly recommend it.

Justinreed7

I know right...Go-Pro footage really does not capture what I imagine was highly intense moment on the dragon. Its been about 10 years since I drove the dragon and 80mph is unimaginable. Am I reading @Justinreed7 build spec correctly and the boost control is wastegate spring only without a controller? If so that is even more impressive. I am new to the cortex boost controller but I highly recommend it.
My older posts are not very accurate to what im currently running. Ive always ran a boost controller, i would just have it turned all the way down so it would just run off wastegate spring pressure which is like 15-16psi. Currently im running a dual stage turbo smart controller with my high and low boost preset and can be changed with a switch on the dash

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
My older posts are not very accurate to what im currently running. Ive always ran a boost controller, i would just have it turned all the way down so it would just run off wastegate spring pressure which is like 15-16psi. Currently im running a dual stage turbo smart controller with my high and low boost preset and can be changed with a switch on the dash
Ok this makes more sense thanks for update.

Justinreed7

Just updated my build list since it was missing a few things and i changed the setup some as well.
Car Setup as of 7/30/23
Engine:
2.1 LSJ Ecotec
2.4 ZZP Girdled Block
2.4 JE Pistons
2.0 Carrillo Rods
Stock 2.0 Crank
OTTP Balance Shaft delete kit
Category V Port Worx Head porting
Category V baffled valve cover
ZZP reverse split turbo cams
ZZP 82# valve springs/Titanium retainers
Oem Intake/Exhaust valves
Oem rockers
ARP head studs
Oem LSJ head gasket
ARP timing chain guide bolts
ATI underdrive harmonic balancer
ARE Custom Drysump System w/ 2 gallon reservoir
Setrab Oil Cooler
XONA Rotor 4951 turbo
DyemondFab equal length vband header
Tial wastegate 15# spring
modified saab 9-3 turbo intake
ZZP high voltage Coils
Cxracing RX8 intercooler, 10 inch fans with custom shroud
Currently running at 24psi, have not dynoed it with new turbo yet
Stock 2005 Cobalt SS ECU with HPTuners

Fuel System:
E85
OTTP Fuel Lab BRFPS
ID1000cc Injectors
300l summit fuel pump with canister in tank
1/2 gallon surge tank
MagnaFuel 425 Inline fuel pump after surge tank
pumps wired to seperate relays
inline fuel filters before surge tank and after inline pump
8an feed lines
6an return lines

Drivetrain:
F23 5 speed with OBX lsd
FX500 Clutch
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
zzp stage 1 axles
DF custom subframe, control arms & spindles
DF direct link shifter

Chassis/Aero:
Nine Lives Racing 48 inch Front Wing with dual element 10/45 degrees, 69 inch rear wing 12/45 degrees
300lb front springs 400lb rear springs
Front shocks 6 clicks from full soft
Rear shocks 16 clicks out of 30 clicks from full soft

Brakes:
Wilwood pedal box 3/4 bore master cylinders
LSJ front brakes Hawk HT10 compound
Solstice rear brakes Hawk DTC30 compound

General Setup:
1/32 toe in at front
1/8 toe in rear
-1.2 front camber
-2.6 rear camber
275/35/15 Nankang AR-1 on 15x10 wheel
275/35/15 Hoosier A7 on 15x10 wheel
18psi cold front
22psi cold rear

Justinreed7

Pfft, that was just a leisurely Sunday drive for you. :rolleyes::D See you spent most of the course in 4th gear - guessing your speed was up there in pucker territory? You had only one discernable bobble not too far from the finish line - what an incredible run!

What tune were you running? Guessing it was pulled back somewhat from max for your control and sanity? Some of those bumps wouldn't have been as forgiving if you spun the tires if pushing max HP, I'm guessing.
We haven't had the car on the dyno yet with the new turbo, just a few street logs to get the afr in the ball park for the event. We ended up at 24psi on the street. Felt like 450ishwhp on e85. The bumps are very unforgiving but the main reason for short shifting was to just get a time on the board. A little less stress on the engine and drivetrain for reliability. The car goes on the dyno next week and we'll find out where its happy at for max hp. The car will be ran on high boost at all events going forward. since the turbo is smaller the peak number will be lower than the s257 but the power band will have tremendous gains mid range. Still estimating low to mid 500whp with amazing throttle response

Justinreed7

With the Hillclimb season a little over a month away, winter upgrades on the goblin are going pretty well. Brakes, intercooler, charge pipes, intake manifold, drysump relocation, fuel system, aero, wheels, wiring clean up and weight reduction were all on the list this winter.
IMG_0525.jpeg
IMG_8279.jpeg
IMG_8280.jpeg
IMG_7674.jpeg
IMG_7587.jpeg
IMG_8328.jpeg
IMG_8367.jpeg
IMG_8366.jpeg
IMG_8402.jpeg
IMG_8398.jpeg
IMG_8444.jpeg
IMG_8447.jpeg