A Little Adult Supervision Requested

G-Quest

Greetings all,
Trying to button up the suspension, brakes and clutch and bleed the lines before moving on. Ran into a snag trying to clip in the clutch line into one of Lonny's new F35 transmissions. Do any of the Gurus out there recognize if the clips below are the correct versions (one is from the donor, one is from ZZP)? and, more importantly, what is the closely guarded secret to assembling the line, clip and fitting on the trans?

20210819_173615.jpg20210819_173544.jpg20210819_173600.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
If I remember correctly, there is a O ring at the tip of the clutch line. Inspect it for damage, take a photo for us.
You are putting the clip on so the dents go thru the slots, right?

Last edited:

G-Quest

@Ross, I appreciate you operating as the "Easy Button" when it comes to Goblin/Cobalt questions. Your drawing showed me what I was doing wrong - I was trying to force the clip down vertically through the slots. My feeble mind couldn't come up with an alternative configuration. I give myself partial credit for saving the clip from the donor (and finding it after 8 months) and 10 demerits for not remembering how it gets used.

The O-ring on the DF-supplied clutch line is in good shape and I've lubed it with brake fluid each time I've inserted the line into the elbow.

@ccannx, Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't had to remove the elbow and inspect the inner assembly - it's a new transmission. One of the reasons I wanted to connect and bleed all the hydraulic lines now is to check for leaks before installing the fuse box, etc. just in case there is a problem.

-Ken

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You can put the clip in first and then push the pipe in.

If you are mixing old and new components, make sure you don't end up with 2 o-rings at a connection. I chased my tail on a leak for several days before I realized I had an old o-ring still in a fitting.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
It's not the issue in this case, but something else to consider with this type of quick connect fitting is the quality of the parts being used, especially when buying aftermarket replacements. During the rebuild of my truck, I replaced the front mounted transmission cooler, which had a similar type of fitting. The female ends were slightly undersized such that the would not permit full insertion of the transmission lines; I ended up reusing the old fittings on the new cooler so I could get it all assembled.