Computer for Tuning

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
What computer are you (everyone) using to run HP Tuners? Thinking about getting a cheap laptop to run only HP Tuners with.

A little background to my query. My old Samsung (10 years old) that we've had issues with for a good bit, is giving me troubles with HP Tuners and the MPVI2+ interface. I've gotten with HP Tuners for the patch to link the MPVI2+ with Windows 7 with no luck getting it to work. I've also tried to download Windows 10 to it and it won't take it either. So, if I'm going to buy a version of Windows 10 why not just get a new, cheap, stable laptop instead of my suspect one.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I use a cheap laptop that I picked up, about a year ago. Nothing special about it. You want to make sure that you have decent battery life so you don't have it die when loading a tune which can brick the ECM. And a new cheap laptop probably has more battery that a 10 year old laptop.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I use a cheap laptop that I picked up, about a year ago. Nothing special about it. You want to make sure that you have decent battery life so you don't have it die when loading a tune which can brick the ECM. And a new cheap laptop probably has more battery that a 10 year old laptop.
Do you recall the brand?

Is there any issue keeping the laptop plugged in to the outlet while the tune is loading? Also, is there any issue with having the Goblin battery on a charger as well?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I sorta think it was a "Geobook" but I'm not completely sure. I can check tonight.

No issue with laptop plugged in and Goblin on charger. But I do tweaks to the tune while on the road, often driving for about 30-45 minutes, reviewing and making changes and reloading a tune multiple times. I also haven't really made use of the internal data logging in the MPVI2+ and just log straight to the laptop.

What you don't want to do is use an invertor for the laptop while using the MPVI2 as this can fry the MPVI2.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have tuned with 2 old laptops, and my new laptop.... Windows 10. I use a 12VDC to 120VAC invertor in the Goblin to run the laptop charger, which brings it back down to 20V. I'm not sure if the MPVI2 runs off the goblin's 12V or the USB 5V, but it works for me.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I have tuned with 2 old laptops, and my new laptop.... Windows 10. I use a 12VDC to 120VAC invertor in the Goblin to run the laptop charger, which brings it back down to 20V. I'm not sure if the MPVI2 runs off the goblin's 12V or the USB 5V, but it works for me.
My understanding is that this is risky. How risky, I don't know but HPT recommends not using an invertor.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I may keep trying to get Windows 10 on my 10 year old Samsung. I'm just askign the question in case I can't to get ideas of what works and what doesn't.