David K's Extended Track Goblin #343 - 06 SS Donor

Keckster

Hello Everyone!
First things first I'm David and I have been working hard to save up for a goblin kit for years! I finally made my down payment for a 3 stage kit on my 23rd birthday this past July!
I am currently an engineering student working during covid because online courses are not my cup of tea. As a side hobby I've also been trying to make some YT car content. I have been backlogging goblin content until I get the kit delivered, which happened this past Tuesday! I anyone would want to follow along with my content you can find it at: https://www.youtube.com/user/keckster98

Enough about me! What have I done so far? To start, I probably chose the worst time to actually start searching for a donor car as the used car market is through the roof... Eventually I found a clapped out 06 Cobalt SS of FB Marketplace listed for $1500. However, there were some problems with that price for me.
-First, the listing stated how the car "runs and drives" but has an issue pairing the new keys after the original broke off in the ignition...
-the interior is absolutely trashed
-upon other small things, the last major red flag was how rusted the entire body was

Back in May I went to check the car out not intending to pay $1500 but it was the closest cobalt listed less than $3k...
I arrived where this poor SS was sitting for 6+ months and the seller is nowhere to be found. He forgot about us for another 2 hours later which helped me get an even better deal in the end. With all the alone time I really had time to check the car out and even got it to crank which gave me hope. To end that long night I got the rust bucket down to $800
CarAd1.jpgCarAd2.jpgCarAd3.jpgCarAd4.jpgCarAd5.jpg

Upon getting the car home I got to work trying to figure out this starting issue. I never been so frustrated/disappointed in my life... I had tried everything, When the key is turned the car will turn all accessories on but the engine won't even try to turn over. The cluster doesn't even show the light test, the only light on the cluster is the security light. With the key in the run position I was eventually able to start the car by manually jumping the relays in the fuse box to power everything manually but no luck with any relearn process on the keys which told me there is some sort of wiring issue. At this point I knew the engine ran and sounds healthy so I just decided to start the disassembly process since we have to re-do the harness anyway.

IMG_0128.JPGIMG_0129.JPGIMG_0130.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0132.JPG

Although the outside body was trashed and the interior was gross, The important interior parts and engine bay were in pretty good condition... Everything went without a hitch until I had to drop the subframe. Every single subframe bolt broke the cage off the nut on the top side while I was trying to remove them. you can see in the following photo I even had to cut a hole in the floor to get access to this dumb uncaged nut on the rear driver side subframe bolt.

IMG_0144.JPGIMG_0134.JPGIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0143.JPGIMG_0145.JPG

Finally, out came our new heart for my goblin! Then the rest of the rust bucket is off to the scrapyard.

IMG_0140.JPGIMG_0159.JPG

Attachments

Keckster

Nope I double and triple checked the list of what to keep. I've got them!

some parts were beyond saving so I did order some stuff off rock auto new

Ross

Goblin Guru
Looks like a great start! You're already 1/3 done. Only 23!!! Not many starting that young, I wonder if you are the youngest owner of a Goblin? Congrats, and welcome to the hobby.

Keckster

Now for the part that got way out of hand... Rebuilding the engine! I didn't take too many pictures of this process, mostly just recorded for YT.

IMG_0164.JPGIMG_0165.JPG

This is my first time taking an engine apart and I absolutely loved it! Learning how everything worked by physically moving and disassembly is such a great feeling for me! I'm not quite sure how good or bad the engine looked while taking it apart but the only issue I found was a brittle timing chain guide, luckily the engine was still in time and no bent valves.

IMG_0238.JPGIMG_0237.JPGIMG_0240.JPGIMG_0239.JPGIMG_0241.JPGIMG_0242.JPG

Off to the machine shop we go! I got the engine honed, cleaned and inspected by the pros at a nearby shop. It came back looking brand new with a clean bill of health!

IMG_0430.JPGIMG_0429.JPG

Oh right, I forgot about the list of new that got way out of hand...
-Forged & Coated JE pistons (9.5:1)
-ZZP forged 4340 connecting rods
-Mahle main bearings
-Clevite rod bearings
-ATI Damper
-Stage 2 Clutchmasters clutch
-Aluminum flywheel w/ replaceable friction surface
-BradBilt balance shaft delete w/ short chain
-82lb valve springs w/ titanium retainers
-ZZP Stage 2 supercharger cams
-Dual bypass endplate
-ZZP shorty Header

IMG_0228.JPGIMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0451.JPGIMG_0452.JPGIMG_0453.JPG

Keckster

Finally the day has come! Tuesday November 2nd @9am Delivery day!!!!!! I work nights and oh man I struggled going to work yesterday night cause I was so excited and just stayed up staring at my new project! I even made a friend, Stewart transport was actually dropping off Chassis #344 only 20 miles from me and they introduced us to each other!

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Nice find. With the recaro seats, that means it has a limited slip differential. That’s a major plus. I’ll subscribe to your YouTube too.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Don't sweat the key learn on the 2006. You can always use HP Tuners to disable VATS. We run without a key and now have a push-to-start system.

Last edited:

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Welcome! Any luck figuring out the no start issue? If I had to guess I'd say it's the VATS which can be disabled with HPTuners.
Did you happen to keep the front sway bar or did that go to the scrap yard with the car? I'm in the process of trying to dial in my suspension and I'd like to try a stock SS sway bar but unfortunately mine went with the car to scrap. If you still have it I'd like to buy it from you!
I'll go ahead and subscribe to your channel as well! Looking forward to your Goblin videos! Feel free to check out our YouTube Channel if you get a chance, we have some Goblin videos up there and more coming soon!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The 18mm is the NA bar, the SS bar is 23-24mm (the actual diameter depends upon who you ask) and is roughly 40% stiffer. It will definitely make a big difference.