Did I blow it up?

grantcropper

So, let's start this off right. I'm an idiot. Ok, now that that's out of the way, when we disassemble everything on the donor, including taking the drive train out, the axle arms came out of the transmission and all the transmission fluid came out. No problem. Well, I have been through about 20 little neighborhood joy rides at low power without realizing I never filled the trans back up with fluid. Shifting has been smooth and didn't even realize till tonight. Tonight was the first night I really put it in the power band and all of a sudden as I was still going for more, BOOM. At first I thought it was a backfire but when I realized I was at a real good loss of power, I knew something was up. Luckily the engine was still working and I could still shift. Well after getting it back in the garage, it dawned on me when I saw the small leak and splatter.

Question: Can someone diagnose this for me? Should it look like this? Is there a press fit seal that has popped out causing a leak? Do I just have to press it back in? Replace something? I hope its minor.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Mine did the same thing when I did a test start. Watch the output shaft closely. You can see it drip out.

http://instagr.am/p/B4DrW43pC6y/
I was going to post something relating to this myself. Could someone explain what keeps the axels in in the first place? I got mine to slide in all the way, but I can move them out by hand. What keeps them in the transmission? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread or anything.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The spring clip on the end of the shaft holds it in. If you can pull it out by hand either they were not in all the way or the spring clip has failed. I'm betting that they were not seated fully. It takes some force some times.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
20200204_085655.jpg
20200204_085639.jpg

Your image below shows the boot that should be on the other side.
20200203_204947.jpg

The rubber boot you have on the drivers side is suppose to be on the passenger side. It is not allowing you to push the axle all the way in.
You may have put the axles on opposite sides from how they came off the donor.

The two axles are the same so you may be able to move the boot to the passenger side axle without having to remove the axle.

grantcropper

Interesting, ill definitely switch the axels and see what I get. It does appear though that the seal is sticking out where it wasn't before. Can someone confirm this? If you look inside the trans, theres a pretty big gap also, should new seals fix all this?

Last edited:

grantcropper

View attachment 11512View attachment 11513

Your image below shows the boot that should be on the other side.
View attachment 11514

The rubber boot you have on the drivers side is suppose to be on the passenger side. It is not allowing you to push the axle all the way in.
You may have put the axles on opposite sides from how they came off the donor.

The two axles are the same so you may be able to move the boot to the passenger side axle without having to remove the axle.
Lonny I just realized you added two images above that I thought were mine. It looks like the seal is sticking out on yours also. Is that right? If that's the case, do I have any issues other than the arms were on the wrong side?

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the seals are the problem with your axle coming out. It was most likely the rubber boot keeping it from going in. Pull the cv joint out and remove the rubber sleeve/boot and push the cv in until it clicks in place. It should look like the on in our picture. The sleeve/boot you remove needs to be placed on the passenger side.

grantcropper

Cool, Crossing fingers the loud bang was it just popping out and no damage! I will switch it tonight and update!

jirwin

Goblin Guru
After a second look at mine... I think I'm good. I tried tugging on them and there isn't really any play and it doesn't want to come out. Thanks @Karter2026

Driver's side:

Passengers side: