Disable Shifter Lockout

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Is there a way to remove the reverse lockout mechanism on the stock shift unit. It’s annoying and would be really hard to shift into reverse while driving.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Fairly easy. Remove boot, if you have one. Pry off the shift cover, remove screw, pull knob. Then pull the interlock thingy off, remove bottom piece and go back together with it.
DEFB6CCE-A765-4919-A69E-9B1A2F8EF298.jpeg
128A99A8-FCF9-4EDC-941B-392CC376C155.jpeg
9799B5B0-1C76-460B-B62F-3593D74D9A51.jpeg
43249CB7-B979-40BB-B3EC-80B356BC7BCF.jpeg
1C585FAF-0BAA-4E5D-A482-15914E1A2DDC.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Are you asking about the Cobalt shifter? The DF shifter doesn't appear to have a lockout feature.

Edit: sorry didn't see Russell's reply.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't remove it, that's going to make finding 5th more difficult. Without the lockout you'll be able to push the shifter further to the right than needed to get into 5th.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't remove it, that's going to make finding 5th more difficult. Without the lockout you'll be able to push the shifter further to the right than needed to get into 5th.
Too late, it’s gonzo. But if I don’t like it without the RLO then I can put it back easily.
Also, I’m rarely in 5th gear.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I do see what you mean about 5th gear being a little hard to find. I'm going to try it for a bit and see, maybe I'll get used to where it is. I do like how much easier the vehicle goes into reverse though.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I got use to the lockout being gone, it has been over a year this way. Sometimes 5th takes me 2 tries, but I am never in a hurry for that gear, and it is easy to put it back in 4th, then try again. I do like reverse being easy to get to.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I’m getting used to it. It’s not that bad. Like you said, sometimes it takes 2 tries. It actually seems to go into 5th a bit easier now.