Extra Parking Brake?

Hellproof

After several headaches with the OEM cobalt cables and some tubing I nicked from scrap at work, I used this brake cable kit instead with my OEM parking brake handle and DF parking brake kit:

330-9371 Parking Brake Cable Kit Fit for Wilwood 110" Long Cables with a 97" Long Sheath, Universal Emergency Brake Cable Repair Kit https://a.co/d/jiJrO0C

This one is a knockoff and is half the cost of the Summit kit and is basically the same product. Don't bother with the OEM cables.

I also got the brake handle connector and ran it to a red LED I installed in the dash, with positive wire running to a fuse tap at the BCM temporarily. When the parking brake is pulled, it grounds the connector, completes the circuit and illuminates. I'll make a permanent run later. Thanks Rttoys and Joebob and others for the idea.

Hellproof

Nice find on the half priced universal kit!
Yeah it was a great find. Had no problems installing it aside from some issues with trying to wrench down the mounting nut at the caliper. The Solstice caliper has very limited room to get a wrench on the nut, but if I was patient I probably could have done it with a deep socket.

I did have to do a couple runs around the block to make sure the cable wasn't too tight/loose. I had it too tight on my first run and heated up both rear rotors pretty good just going around the block once.

Edit: Also, since my 2008 Cobalt Sport had ABS, I taped over the BRAKE light inside the cluster (and some other unnecessary lights). Running the parking brake connector to the OEM wiring positions still wont remove the BRAKE light because it's looking for the ABS circuit, and since all of that has been removed, it will never go off otherwise.

Last edited:

Sebnuts

There's a lot of throw on the e-brake handle, I left it plenty loose with it down and don't have any issues there.
I don't love the way I routed my summit cables, and they may be too short to fix them now, so it's nice to see a cheaper option to replace them if needed lol

Hellproof

There's a lot of throw on the e-brake handle, I left it plenty loose with it down and don't have any issues there.
I don't love the way I routed my summit cables, and they may be too short to fix them now, so it's nice to see a cheaper option to replace them if needed lol
I have an auto, so just throwing it into D or R with it too loose will cause it to roll like it's not even there. For Texas registration, I had to find the sweet spot so that it could still hold with light acceleration.