Front Fender Bolt Clearance

SwerveMonkey

Thought I would post to get some help, I'm not very experienced with Fiberglass parts and looking to learn.
I am trying to understand how to get the bolts that secure the fenders to the holders and I am finding that the bolts do now quite fit straight through.
As if the head of the bolt is not parallel with the washer insert that is in the fiberglass...

I can get the bolt through the insert's hole only by screwing it in from the inside... no issues pushing the same bolt from the outside-inward.
I think what's going on is that the fiberglass is taking up some space where the bolt would normally occupy.

So now when I can get the bolts to go through, as stubborn as they are, this is what it looks like.
Not sure if I am supposed to force things (similarly to some metal parts that will "give")

any suggestions? thanks in advanced for the input folks :-D

jaredthenav

I had to scrape out some of the resin that was sitting on the metal screw hole. Used a screwdriver and then sanded it to get to a flat metal surface. It wasn't too hard, just took a bit of time in that tight corner.

SwerveMonkey

seems like if i took too much out then maybe
some epoxy could stiffen
up the insert in a worst case scenario...

would using a Dremel round grounding stone do the trick??

My guess is that it would be similar in approach to what was mentioned

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Typically I would use something more along the lines of a cutting/deburring bit for fiberglass/resin. The stone might work but tends to build up with resin. It depends on how much you need to remove.

SwerveMonkey

OK, so...
I used this bit on my Dremel, came with the basic kit

here is a before, the pictures i took earlier probably did it little justice to explain the predicament

not sitting flush and unable to screw straight through
and here is the after shoot once I trimmed the fiberglass away using the dremel

it may be that i could have taken a slight bit more off, but.... meh, this works.

is there anything suggested to "finish off" this modification?? should I be worried about the stiffness of the area or anything??

Ross

Goblin Guru
You did what was needed to make it work. Now test it and see if it is durable enough.
Nice work.