GOBLIN IS DEAD

grantcropper

So,

First off, I'm an idiot. I was working on adding the heat exchanger and the heat exchanger pump, so of course, I had to gain access to the fuse box. To begin I unhooked the positive battery cable from the fuse box and set it aside. All without thinking to disconnect the actual battery. This hot battery cable directly touched the metal housing of the PCM and the car started to click and twitch lights and all and now, it's dead. When I turn the key, the fuel pump turns on as it usually does, but does not turn back of like the normal cycle. Then when I turn the key all the way to turn the engine over, I get nothing. So we checked fuses and there were two blue 15 amp fuses blown associated with the fuel management so we replaced them and the relay (actually, we didn't have relays so we just swapped relays from another spot in the fuse box with the one we thought was blown) and still no fix. We have since purchased a new PCM from ZZP and last night we installed it, crossed our fingers, and still, same results.

What have we missed? Could this be a relay or two blown that we haven't checked?

Here's the saddest part. We are missing the most beautiful weather of the year.

Please help if you have any good ideas, my brothers!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Grant, dumb question, did you also check the BCM fuses? Does any wiring - the small gauge stuff - look cooked? Does the BCM and new PCM need to 'paired up' before the system will allow anything like a start?

I'm kind of in the same boat, my Rubicon is not starting, but for different reasons and I'm chasing a no-start gremlin myself (have new battery, starter, relay, fuses, etc.) :(

Ross

Goblin Guru
You did the most expensive part first.
Does your dash work?
Any codes on the OBDII port?

I blew a BCM. I think it was $30 from the auto recycler yard. Did a key relearn, and was back running.
Could also be a burned circuit board trace in the fuse box.

Maybe find some ideas from this thread.

grantcropper

These are good ideas. I haven't checked the wiring yet, the thought of stripping all the wiring to bare wires was at the bottom of my list. The only thing I have done really checks fuses.

How do you know if you have a blown BCM?
I have not hooked up a OBDII yet, I'm going to do that shortly.
The dash does work.
Could you elaborate on "Could also be a burned circuit board trace in the fuse box."?

I did check the fuses in the BCM, all are good.

Ross

Goblin Guru
If the dash works, then the BCM is probably fine.
Circuit board trace issues here. Basically, take your fuse box apart, and inspect for burn marks and missing copper.