Hptuners Prolink

PHENDERSON

Other than the standalone data log, is there any reason to get the HPtuners Prolink? I plan to do basic data logging and remapping to make my engine run happy with all the mods I've installed.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You just need to have a plan to add a wide band o2 sensor, and pro link is just one of several options to do that.

PHENDERSON

For a complete novice, what are the other options? What happens without a "wideband O2" sensor? I'm looking for the least complicated path.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
There isn't anything that isn't uncomplicated about self tuning. Be prepared for a major time suck. Unless you consider tuning loading in a tune that someone else used and hope it works.

(3) Wiring Wideband O2 Sensors | DF Kit Car Forum

Wideband is the only way to know exactly what the fueling is doing at any point and the only way to know what it's doing at WOT. The stock narrow bands will only give some info at partial throttle and no info at WOT.

PHENDERSON

Out of curiosity what have those running HPtuners been using as their key-on power source? I have an extra red wire I left as suggested in the harness videos but it's 12v and continuous not key-on.

baustin

Out of curiosity what have those running HPtuners been using as their key-on power source? I have an extra red wire I left as suggested in the harness videos but it's 12v and continuous not key-on.
I used one of the RAP circuits (retained accessory power). I can try to look back later if you need more detail on what these are.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
What do you need the key on power for? The DLC has full time power to it to power the HPT hardware. Just unplug when not in use.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I spliced into a key on source at the BCM with an "Add a fuse link" for the wideband controller.

You need to get some 5A fuses and install with the fuses facing down which is hard for clearance but ensures the fuse is in the circuit.

I also followed the instructions to add the 0-5V output of the wideband controler to the A/C pressure sensor wiring that I left on the engine harness. This skips the prolink lable and makes the stand alone logging as easy as plugging/unplugging the HP tuners module to the OBDII port.

I did just get an OBDII port extension cable to spare the constant in and out of the module on the stock wiring. leave the extension plugged in and let it take all the wear and tear.