I am a DF Kit Car customer and have a confession to make...it's pretty awesome!

bigred

Just my opinion,
I think we all need to just ignore this guy, and hopefully he will go away!!!
He doesn't bring anything positive to the forum, He doesn't have any advice or ideas to give on building a Goblin, he's more worried about himself, and his feelings getting hurt because nobody will hold his hand. i have no respect for this guy. suck it up dude!!
I personally have enjoyed running into small problems during my build, it gave me pleasure afterwards knowing that I had the brains and confidence in myself, to adapt and overcome!! Just like in real life!!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I am in the "Whaaat? What happened here?" group. I don't have the bandwidth to Sherlock Holmes this whole story. Sounds like we all get to live happily ever after now? OK! (I know I'm gonna either way) IF anyone ever decides what the problem is/was here, bravo for you. If anyone has a building problem I'll keep throwing in my 2cents worth. I think everyone here knows happy don't grow on trees and ain't nobody delivering happy neither! I don't get paid by the hour, so made up problems kinda piss me off. I fix things, it's kinda a calling, it makes me happy; glad I don't have anything to fix here! Everybody go back to your toys and "stay off my grass!" Keep On Dreamin' Y'all!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I was 17 when I finished building this kit. I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent troubleshooting. Never once went crying to the forum. Glad I actually have some critical thinking skills. You'll survive.
Congrats on getting your Goblin finished! Great work and I'm certain you picked up a lot of knowledge along the way!

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I was 17 when I finished building this kit. I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent troubleshooting. Never once went crying to the forum. Glad I actually have some critical thinking skills. You'll survive.
Night and DAY! WooHoo! Excellent report! On one hand thanks for not running to the forum to help you kill your bugs but I do hope you covered your trials and tribulations in your build log so that others can benefit from your tears and discoveries!(GROUNDS!) I'm an old guy and I tell stories that often highlight how I was the problem all along!(I consider that teaching. I've got a thick hide and a thick skull to go along with it!) I'll be the first to admit I've looked for my phone whilst talking on it! I've "lost my keys" only to find them in my other hand! I believe if we can't laugh at ourselves we've got little right to laugh at others. AND Keep on Dreamin' Y'all!

ccgillett

Sooooo my struggles building are well-documented in my build thread, and as I said elsewhere most are self-inflicted (all?) or due to naïveté, learning, etc. I've found the responses to my build thread to be helpful, the responses to questions posted elsewhere to be cogent, on-point, and nearly universally friendly/supportive. I've had multiple people reach out to me without prompting with advice, guidance, and offers to help. Somebody emailed me close-up pictures of part of their builds because seeing it easier than reading about it. Compared to other forums for other kit cars where a simple question can result in a string of "bugger off" replies, the DF forum is pretty damned awesome.

Builds like this do not come naturally to some of us - I'm that camp and I suspect OP is as well. I'm a Computer Science guy, so if you want to know about language models, machine learning, neural networks, compilers, operating systems, and all that then I'm confidently and professionally your guy. I cannot hold a candle to an experienced mechanic or builder and I marvel at (and am secretly deeply jealous of) the guys and gals with the skills, training, and natural ability to excel at this work. So I expect to be frustrated as I work through this, I expect to be challenged, and I expect to make mistakes and learn from it. I will freely admit to standing in my garage at midnight, hands on the chassis, howling "what the fuuuuuuuu......" about something - but then you ask questions, do some reading, watch a video and figure it out. That's part and parcel of the "built not bought" mentality, and that comes with ANY car you are going to build, whether it's a $10K Goblin or $120k for an Ultima.

I think DF's representations about the car and the build complexities are reasonable. I haven't had reason to weld anything (which I would have to send out because reasons...), and the only drilling I've had to do has been thread chasing and other sorts of clean-up work mostly on account of the powder coating. And yes somebody had to tell me to go clean my threads (duh...right?) and yes I used a drill to do it, but come on man that ain't "drilling." I know I have some fabricating in my future because I am doing some things - racing seats and a front wing - that aren't included in the kit. That's par for the course, so if OP is making a lot of kit changes, that's on him. I'm looking forward to that challenge, and I know some of you will watch and shake your heads cuz it takes me a week to do what you can do in an afternoon.

I get a little frustrated when an email goes unanswered, or a parts request takes a few weeks to sort out...but these guys are running a business, they're busy doing stuff, and I'd rather have slow responses due to them being busy than to them not being around.

I think OP should look at what support and documentation comes from other kit builders...some of it is shockingly bad or simply non-existent (thinking DDR [aka Grullon]) where you get boxes of parts, a chassis and body and good luck. Factory Five back in the early days sent a big manual and that was basically an outline that an experienced mechanic or builder could use. By contrast, the DF videos are excellent. I drag my laptop into the garage every session, and frequently review them to make sure I'm doing the right stuff. I only with there were more.

So all in all, not sure what OP intended in starting this thread/rant. But my experience has been nearly the polar opposite of his. I look forward to interacting with people on the forum, I've enjoyed every chat with DF, and when this car is someday complete and I make an awesome pass on a $150,000 supercar at my favorite racetrack the frustrations and sweat will be 100% worth it.

Davidljones88

DF has been helpful and quick to respond to any issues I've had. They went as far as sending me new rack limiter pieces for free in return for the original ones bought before receiving them.

Props to the guys running the show and those that are helping DF community.