Installed fuel tank pictures wanted.

Tinkles

While my Goblin is still at the fab shop I am wondering if there is enough room to have them build a larger fuel tank. So if anyone would share some pictures of the clearance around their fuel tank I'd appreciate it. Top, bottom, next to the engine.

Ross

Goblin Guru
While my Goblin is still at the fab shop I am wondering if there is enough room to have them build a larger fuel tank. So if anyone would share some pictures of the clearance around their fuel tank I'd appreciate it. Top, bottom, next to the engine.
And your engine of choice is?
I can take some pics of my supercharged ecotec... but that might not apply to your engine bay.

askiles

Goblin Guru
With the supercharger on there, there is not much more room for a larger tank. They really maximized that area as much as possible.

Ross

Goblin Guru
20191122_114121.jpg

The blue hoses aren't stock, as I put my intercooler below the roll bar rather than behind the front radiator.
20191122_114042.jpg

Last edited:

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I will say that the tank is SUPER tight with the fittings coming out of a dual pass setup unless you thread them and put 90s on right away. So I would not consider going thicker towards the engine on an SS/SC setup.

Nuker-

Ross

Goblin Guru
If the tank was taller, and the angle iron on the frame moved up, it might work.
The fuel pump probably has to stay low in order to get the gas off the bottom, so if you went up, the pump would be in an indented hole.

You could just put a jerry can on top of the tank, and put the Goblin air vent into the bottom of the jerry can to suck the fuel into the Goblin tank.
Then vent the jerry can. I did an extra fuel tank on one of my race motorcycles this way, worked well.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
9 gallons isn't enough? You doing the 24 hours of Lemons?
TBH, not really. I'm not complaining about the design and there is pretty much no room for a bigger tank, but I wish the tank could be slightly bigger. I can go about 175-200 miles on a tank and that's pushing it to probably a gallon or so left. I don't typically like running that low so I usually fill up around the 150 mile mark. I think an ideal size would be a range of 250-275 miles.

On the other side, it forces you to get up and stretch. Driving around for 200+ miles without getting out can be brutal.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I am planning to go to E85, which gets 26.5% worse range than gasoline. (150 mile range becomes 110 miles)
If I use the extra performance that E85 has, then it will be even less range.

So far I never go that far in my Goblin, because it needs a body and windshield first.
It wouldn't be that hard to strap an extra fuel cell on top.

Tinkles

I am thinking about running a in tank surge tank from Radium. 2 pumps in the surge tank and 1 lift pump. The mounting height of the lift pump can be changed so making the tank deeper isn't an issue, but I probably would have to try to make the area of the tank in front of the transmission larger to mount it. Maybe install a Holly hyrdomat on the lift pump to prevent fuel starvation. And yes 2 AEM 320 fuel pump will be overkill, but I would rather too much than not enough and it'll be a safety net in-case one pump fails.

http://www.radiumauto.com/FCST-Fuel-Cell-Surge-Tank-P1497.aspx

And I am planning on running it on Ignite Red 114(E90).

From Ross's pictures it looks like I can add at least 2" on both ends and 3-4" in height safely. Might have to move the coolant bottle. But it does look possible to make the fuel tank larger so I won't be wasting my time trying to do it. Thanks.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I am planning to go to E85, which gets 26.5% worse range than gasoline. (150 mile range becomes 110 miles)
If I use the extra performance that E85 has, then it will be even less range.

So far I never go that far in my Goblin, because it needs a body and windshield first.
It wouldn't be that hard to strap an extra fuel cell on top.

I can tell you E85 milage SUCKS! I burned 20 gallons going 1 way on the highway 205 miles from KC to St Louis.

Nuker-

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Dumb question. But do you have to carry around cans of e85-r or will gas station e85 work? I know the stuff at the pump isn't true e85. It's like a minimum of e70 around here.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I always test when I filled up, But 100s of gallons and I never had an issue at all. It was pretty consistant 80%+ all spring/summer/early fall

Nuker-