Jareth’s [Extended\Full-Cage\Double Door Bars] - [2010 LS Donor] - [Frame #290]

Jareth

So the journey begins :)

It doesn't matter type of project, I'm not one that can be without a project regardless of the type.

I have built a Motorcycle from a kit, 120 Gallon Saltwater Reef Tank, 30'x10' Chicken Coop, and most recently just finished a 68 Camaro LS3 Engine Swap. With all that being said it was no surprise to my wife when she would catch me on the internet researching my next project.

When I would watch F5Cobra builds they would always get to the point that they would refer to as their first go-cart drive, I often thought it was a shame that they could not just stop there instead of investing another 20K on top of the 30K they already had in it to finish it?

Needless to say I was very excited to come across the DF-Goblin, exactly what I was looking for. An adult size, street legal, rocket of a go-cart.

I immediately started searching for a donor and although I might have preferred a SS, everything I found had in excess of 150K miles and was a thousand+ miles away. That’s when I found a base coupe a few hours away north that only had 10,491 miles on it. I thought perfect, it is barley broken it. I raced up to look at it, struck a killer deal and rented a U-Haul to get her home.

I thought it would be months until I had the cash for the kit so I decided to put the donor on the road and drive it for a while, have already put 500+ miles on it, and it runs and drives like a brand new car. Part of me is sad that I will be tearing it apart, but only a very very small part.

Here is the donor purchased on January 9th 2021

I have a two-car garage with a 68 Camaro and a Harley sitting in it. To free up some space and to get the funds to purchase the kit I decided to sell the Harley. I have been riding motorcycle’s for the last 40 years but this last year only took her out a few times, so I said to myself what’s the point in having it just sit there. Two issues solved, space in garage and cash to ordered my kit on January 26th 2021.

3/30/2021 update: changed frame to include Double Door Bars

And I can not neglect to thank my loving wife for putting up with me and my hobbies, she's the best!

Last edited:

Anks329

Congrats! Your description of an adult size, street legal, rocket of a go-cart is spot on! I've got a base cobalt in my Goblin and it flies. Getting a donor with 10k miles is a great find, it'll make the disassembly much easier.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jareth, don't feel bad about the next fate of your donor. It is all about evolution into a higher (performance) form of automotive life! There are just too many Cobalts out there which will never get this chance. ;):D

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Try not to sell the Harley. It seems like once the 2 wheels are gone, they never come back. :confused:

I only put 1 mile on my FZ1 last year. I’m sad, but it’s paid for and I’m keeping it. I put a few hundred miles on the race bikes though. :cool: And a few hundred miles on a track is equivalent to a ton of miles on the street.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
So the journey begins :)

It doesn't matter type of project, I'm not one that can be without a project regardless of the type.

I have built a Motorcycle from a kit, 120 Gallon Saltwater Reef Tank, 30'x10' Chicken Coop, and most recently just finished a 68 Camaro LS3 Engine Swap. With all that being said it was no surprise to my wife when she would catch me on the internet researching my next project.

When I would watch F5Cobra builds they would always get to the point that they would refer to as their first go-cart drive, I often thought it was a shame that they could not just stop there instead of investing another 20K on top of the 30K they already had in it to finish it?

Needless to say I was very excited to come across the DF-Goblin, exactly what I was looking for. An adult size, street legal, rocket of a go-cart.

I immediately started searching for a donor and although I might have preferred a SS, everything I found had in excess of 150K miles and was a thousand+ miles away. That’s when I found a base coupe a few hours away north that only had 10,491 miles on it. I thought perfect, it is barley broken it. I raced up to look at it, struck a killer deal and rented a U-Haul to get her home.

I thought it would be months until I had the cash for the kit so I decided to put the donor on the road and drive it for a while, have already put 500+ miles on it, and it runs and drives like a brand new car. Part of me is sad that I will be tearing it apart, but only a very very small part.

Here is the donor purchased on January 9th 2021

I have a two-car garage with a 68 Camaro and a Harley sitting in it. To free up some space and to get the funds to purchase the kit I decided to sell the Harley. I have been riding motorcycle’s for the last 40 years but this last year only took her out a few times, so I said to myself what’s the point in having it just sit there. Two issues solved, space in garage and cash to ordered my kit on January 26th 2021.

And I can not neglect to thank my loving wife for putting up with me and my hobbies, she's the best!
You can park your Camaro in my man cave if you want to give you more room. Of course I would have to drive around the block once a week to charge battery.

Attachments

Jareth

Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure you would want to markup that nice clean driveway with all the rubber from the tires spinning?

Jareth

It’s not the first part that I anticipated purchasing but an OBD2 scan tool indicated that it needed to be replaced.

Last edited:

Jareth

So there has been a change in plans, I setup Facebook Market Place to notify me of any Cobalt’s that show up in my area. And someone selling an engine pops up for $1200, he mentions that it’s still in the car. I send request for some pictures and ask if the whole car is available. I asked what his bottom line price was and I got it for $800. He offered to deliver it so I gave him an extra $50.

Here it is sitting in front of my garage.

Took me a minute with a pry bar but got the hood open and two my surprise the 2nd key was just laying there.

Here’s a short video, for what ever reason the complete exhaust is gone, I assume he may had started selling pieces off the car?

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
So there has been a change in plans, I setup Facebook Market Place to notify me of any Cobalt’s that show up in my area. And someone selling an engine pops up for $1200, he mentions that it’s still in the car. I send request for some pictures and ask if the whole car is available. I asked what his bottom line price was and I got it for $800. He offered to deliver it so I gave him an extra $50.

Here it is sitting in front of my garage.
So you have joined the TDGC (Two Donor Goblin Club)?

With Ark :D
and me,
you make 3.

Was there an issue with your first donor that lead you to buy another?

Jareth

Yes, may someday still use the 1st donor but cutting up this $800 one makes more sense, and will be more fun :) Won’t have to worry about being careful with the parts I don’t need. Doubt if anything will be worth trying to sell. May even let my wife take some swings with a sledge hammer?

Last edited:

Jareth

Picked up some dolly’s to move the donor around. After I parked it I realized I was not going to be able to get the engine hoist in from the front, as you can see from pictures in early post.