L61 (2005) NA Repairs / upgrades before installation?

Hi All

So I just picked up a 2005 5 speed stock Cobalt with 100K miles on it. Rear ended, $250. Not going to complain. My intentions are to build a street only canyon carver to go out with my Porsche buddies. No race track time (too old, too fat) but I want to make a fun street driver. My current plan is to install the engine stock and then determine if it makes sense to add a supercharger. From what I can read, it sounds like it makes sense to do the timing chain/water pump at this point. Is there anything else that I should do? This is to make the car reliable, maybe a small tweak, but in my reviews the Turbo, while a heck of a lot of fun, is really more for the track than for street driving.

I look forward to all your suggestions.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'd do all the normal stuff. Oil, plugs, etc. for a general tune up. As you mentioned, now's a good time. to do the timing chain and stuff. I'd also check the clutch. If it's showing wear or slipping any at all, I'd change it too while you have the engine out.

I have an NA L61 right now and it's fast enough for most street driving. The nice thing about the goblin platform is it's easily modifiable. If you build a base model and decide you need more power, there are all kinds of upgrades.