Last minute 2022 order - need advice

Esstover

Looking to lock in my order before the price increase Jan-23. Below is what I have and what I am thinking. A few items I'm undecided on.

2006 SS/SC 133K miles
1st question. With a 2006 SS/SC does that mean I have the F35 Transmission? or do I need to verify a serial number?

Live in WV so it's a good distance for shipping. Would like to try and get all DF hardware in one shot. Below is my planned order list. I have some Maybe's listed that I'd like some thoughts on.

BaseDFKit $ 9,050.00 $ 9,050.00
SS KitDFKit $ 1,275.00 $ 1,275.00
Full CageDFKit $ 450.00 $ 450.00
Fiberglass HoodDFKit $ 800.00 $ 800.00
Windscreen, StandardDFKit $ 250.00 $ 250.00
Footwell CoverDFKit $ 330.00 $ 330.00
Aluminum Side PanelsDFKit $ 275.00 $ 275.00
Dominator HeadlightsDFKit $ 200.00 $ 200.00 Maybe
Side MirrorsDFKit $ 100.00 $ 100.00
LED TaillightsDFKit $ 125.00 $ 125.00 Maybe
Button PanelsDFKit $ 175.00 $ 175.00
Boost Gauge MountDFKit $ 10.00 $ 10.00
FX1 Pro Seat PackageDFKit $ 1,150.00 $ 1,150.00 Maybe
Anodized Shifter KitDFKit $ 250.00 $ 250.00
Rear Coilover kitDFKit $ 775.00 Maybe
Tow Bar PackageDFKit $ 300.00 $ 300.00 Maybe
Steering Wheel KitDFKit $ 175.00 $ 175.00 Maybe
Steering Rack Limiter KitDFKit $ 35.00 $ 35.00 Maybe

Dominator Headlights - Not a fan but I haven't really seen something that I do like. Anyone have anything LED that is more rectangular?
Taillights - I'm okay with the DF taillights but if I'm going to hold on the headlights I thought I might just source those elsewhere too.
SEATS!! I'm not a big guy. The FX1 Pro is probably good for me. My wife isn't big either but when I read the details on 36" waist I got a look. I told her they are meant to be a little snug. Can I source these later for a similar price? Anyone have photos of someone sitting in the FX1 Pro seats?
Rear Coilover kit - I have gotten to drive my donor some and it is pretty clear the suspension is shot. Do you guys recommend this kit or buying something else?
Tow Bar Package - does this work well? I have a trailer but this would probably be more convenient.
Steering Wheel Kit - buy DF or aftermarket?
Steering Rack Limiter Kit - seems like a no-brainer for $35.

Any other suggestions? I feel like I'm opening a whole can of worms for opinions, but I think I can handle it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Yes, you should have the F35 5 speed transmission. Check the trunk build sticker for the G85 code to see if it's a LSD. The tag on the top of the transmission will also state 'LSD' if it equipped.

Esstover

Yes, you should have the F35 5 speed transmission. Check the trunk build sticker for the G85 code to see if it's a LSD. The tag on the top of the transmission will also state 'LSD' if it equipped.
Thanks. I've noticed a few novice moves I have made already on the forum. I meant to put this in the General Discussions section. Is there a way to move it? Also notice my misspelling of "advice" which will drive me crazy.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Your list looks good with the following comments:
  • Many people complain on the brightness of the stock dominator lights. I went with LED fog lights with sharp cuttoff and like them but do not have high beams. LED replacement bulbs seem to correct the dim dominator lights.
  • Depending on how tall you are, you might want to get the extended windshield. You can always cut it down but not up.
  • The taillights are good in that they hold brake, turn, and reverse circuits.
  • The rear coilover is great for not only tuning the damping but also setting ride height that is much more difficult by trimming springs.
  • I would go with the FX1 seats and not the pro unless you are very skinny like me. I am 6'1" and 150 lbs, and the FX1 pro is a great tight fit. If you are looking for multiple passenger fitment or any bit wider than my 32" waist, I would go larger.
  • I would also add DF's adjustable brake proportioning valve system.
  • Can't comment on the tow bar but people seem to like it. I have an Auto so can't flat tow.
Joe

Esstover

Your list looks good with the following comments:
  • Many people complain on the brightness of the stock dominator lights. I went with LED fog lights with sharp cuttoff and like them but do not have high beams. LED replacement bulbs seem to correct the dim dominator lights.
  • Depending on how tall you are, you might want to get the extended windshield. You can always cut it down but not up.
  • The taillights are good in that they hold brake, turn, and reverse circuits.
  • The rear coilover is great for not only tuning the damping but also setting ride height that is much more difficult by trimming springs.
  • I would go with the FX1 seats and not the pro unless you are very skinny like me. I am 6'1" and 150 lbs, and the FX1 pro is a great tight fit. If you are looking for multiple passenger fitment or any bit wider than my 32" waist, I would go larger.
  • I would also add DF's adjustable brake proportioning valve system.
  • Can't comment on the tow bar but people seem to like it. I have an Auto so can't flat tow.
Joe
Thanks for your input. I will definitely check out the brake proportioning valve system.

Lndshrk Steve

I would go with the Rear Coilover Kit because you don't want to mix new shocks on the front and used on the rear. Even with new stock shocks as was mentioned, the adjustability is great!
As for the seats, I picked up a cheap pair on Amazon for about $275 for the pair. It's an exposed car, they get wet, they get stepped on, and if I have to I'll replace them in 5 years but for now, they work fine. Also, they recline. I just had some angle iron welded in for the brackets.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Headlights are your call, a lot of people do their own thing. As for rectangular ones, I made mine out of a combination of lights and brackets I fab’d up. The sky (and your fabrication abilities) is the limit

I would highly recommend the rear coil over kit. The ability to adjust the suspension is very nice. If you even think about autocross, track or spirited driving, it is a much better way to go.

Steering wheel kit is your call. I would most definitely get some sort of removable wheel, just you have to decide if you want DF’s or one of the 1000 other options out there.

With the SS, I don’t think you need the rack limiters. I don’t have them on mine and we have the same doner. Someone else may chime in on that.

And what joebob said, get the brake proportioning valve. It makes a huge difference in stopping.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I used Harbor Freight lights, which work fine for a lot less than the other options. I spent all of 30 minutes making the brackets out of bar stock.

I also recommend looking for motorcycle mirrors because many people complain about the durability of the DF-supplied mirrors. I think I paid $50 for mine off ebay.

Like everyone else said, the coil overs are a good choice especially if your current ones are shot.

I have an SS and I installed the steering limiters. I can't say whether they were needed or not, but I can say I don't hit anything with my tires/wheels.

I bought the footwell cover but haven't installed it yet. If you think you want it, buy it now so you don't pay shipping again later.

Pic showing my headlights:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I ordered two motorcycle headlights and a pair of trailer taillights from Amazon. Less than $60 for all and I got to choose what appearance I liked. Mine didn't incorporate reverse lights but I added them to the subframe.

I didn't order the coilovers initially, but added them, so would highly recommend at time of purchase.

Steering wheel is a very nice upgrade and hard to beat the DF price. However, if budget is getting out of hand, shipping something small isn't that bad and other options exist.

Rack limiter - cheap insurance if you get a wheel with increased backspacing.

Seats - definitely worth upgrading. Much cheaper options are available, but require work to adapt or purchase of pricey adapters. My seats were $350ish and I fabricated mounts using the stock rails.

Towbar - meh. If you think you really want it probably better to add it now.

Footwell cover. Not too pricey and large so shipping separate will cost.

Brake proportioning valve. Much easier to plumb while building.

Seat belt upgrades - stock belts are ok, but upgrades are worth it and I think DF can add a harness bar at the proper height for the upper harness.

Esstover

I would go with the Rear Coilover Kit because you don't want to mix new shocks on the front and used on the rear. Even with new stock shocks as was mentioned, the adjustability is great!
As for the seats, I picked up a cheap pair on Amazon for about $275 for the pair. It's an exposed car, they get wet, they get stepped on, and if I have to I'll replace them in 5 years but for now, they work fine. Also, they recline. I just had some angle iron welded in for the brackets.

View attachment 37436
I could see me doing something similar on seats. Could you send a link so I could take a look at them? Did you do a 5pt harness?

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Also depending on how tall you are and how things are adjusted, I have the regular windshield and the edge of it is right in my line of sight. Winter project will be to take an inch off of it.

Lndshrk Steve

I could see me doing something similar on seats. Could you send a link so I could take a look at them? Did you do a 5pt harness?
I got 5pt harness' but didn't use the 5th belt. With the angle of the seat back, it's not needed. Most formula cars have a back angle of about 35 degrees.

That's why the anti-submarine belt (aka Soprano belt). With the reclining back on these seats, I run about a 55 degree angle on the seat back. You just want to make sure to tighten the lap belts, on your HIPS, as tight as possible. THEN snug up on the shoulder belts. You don't want to pull the "LAP" belt up, with the shoulder belts, into your stomach.

I had some angle iron welded in for the seat supports and I had the 5th seat belt bracket layed down and re-welded so I could mount the seat as low a possible.

With this location I can add the 5th belt if ever wanted/needed.

I was wrong about the price of the seats. My paperwork from last year is not at hand, but the price was $415/pair including sliders, and that was last (2021)September. Sorry about that.

Chubbs

What's your end goal with the build? Track monster? Weekend cruiser with occasional track use? Road trip vehicle? Garage queen you just show off to your friends but rarely drive?

If you plan to do much track time, have DF weld in a harness bar. The stock one is too low to pass a tech inspection (although a lot of tracks don't check anyway).

Addressing your "maybe" list:
1. headlights: I would skip the headlights and get your own. There are a ton of great options for reasonable prices that I personally think look cooler.
2. Taillights I would buy from DF. They are reasonably priced vs other options I found, and fit the provided brackets.
3. Seats are 100% up to you. I sourced mine from Amazon with cheap seats, and they work great for a lot less money, although they took more work to fit (I wish they had more bolstering too). The ones sold by DF are great, and their price is competitive with anywhere else you can get them.
4. Rear coilovers = yes. No way I'm putting rusty old stock struts on a brand new goblin. Mine looked like trash. The QA1 shocks are great, perform well, and look the part.
5. Tow bar, your call. I either drive mine or put it on a trailer, so I have no use for it. maybe you do.
6. Steering wheel kit = yes. I bought my own steering wheel, then months later realized I bought the EXACT same wheel DF sells, but it cost me more money and took more effort to find the adapters. The DF wheel is great, and priced well.
7. Steering limiter = yes. You may not need it, but it's only $35 and will keep your wheels from scratching your paint.

Esstover

Interesting the transmission is marked LSD but the trunk sticker doesn’t have G85 code. Photos attached.

Attachments