LSJ Crankshaft Bearings - Piston Oil Squirters

finazzoty

Hi guys - two questions:

I'm rebuilding my LSJ and ran into three questions yesterday (mostly unrelated)

1. I ordered the stock GM rod bearings from ZZP, and they came in two separate paper wrapped packs of 4...are these specific to rod and cap? Or are all 8 of them exactly the same?

2. What is the benefit of the Gen 2 oil squirters vs the original ones? Any real reason to spend the money on these?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Yes, the rod bearings are typically rod 1/2 and cap 1/2 meant for a specific side. I haven't seen the rod bearings (yet) but one set should have an oil hole and/or groove in it. See if you can find a rod bearing video from Dr. Google or contact ZZP to ask which is which.

Edit: OK maybe not from looking at the photos on the ZZP page. Call them to ask if they are identical.

The oil squirter help keep the piston temperatures down on boosted engines. Not necessarily needed, but do add longevity to your motor. On the other hand they do create parasitic drag from the oil - if you are building a racing engine.

finazzoty

Yeah that’s the issue unfortunately…can’t seem to get a response from ZZP via phone or email. I just put in a message to Josh at CatV. Certainly he’ll know